kaseya, labtech... what do you netadmins use?

f1y

Supreme [H]ardness
What do you guys use to script problem fixes, and do all the menial stuff?

Our company is becoming big enough that the manually doing this isn't cutting it anymore.

Any free versions of these managed type softwares?

Well Kaseya and Labtech aren't what you would want to be using as they are designed for managed service providers, and they don't do a whole bunch of autohealing on their own.

Ways I have done it in the past is writing scripts to do all the tings I want to do (adding printers, network drives, changing IP settings etc) and then putting all those scripts into an IT share on the main company file server that way "smart" users can just go there and double click what they want to have added to their machine and they are good to go. AV scans were automated through a central management server (We used SEP at the time). Patches were managed by WSUS and done every 3rd thursday night of the month. Software was handed out by Marimba package manager which was nice because it also does license management. Remote support was handled by GoToAssist or Bombgar (started with Bombgar, went to GTA as it was cheaper).

However you are still going to have to do a bunch of fondling of users' PCs especially when deploying all of these softwares to get everything all setup properly.

Well Kaseya and Labtech aren't what you would want to be using as they are designed for managed service providers, and they don't do a whole bunch of autohealing on their own.

I disagree, not only does Kaseya promote their product to IT departments , some of our clients have internal IT departments that use our Kaseya server for their own work.

Our company is becoming big enough that the manually doing this isn't cutting it anymore.

Any free versions of these managed type softwares?

We use Kaseya as an MSP, but there are limits as to what it can do. You can autoheal quite a bit of problems/issue provided you spend the time figuring out how to detect and remeidate the problem with the RMM tool. Some stuff may be better taken care of using the client's environment such as mapped drives or printers.

Back