Just ordered a 5900x and Asus Dark Hero VIII x570s

Solhokuten

[H]ard|Gawd
It been quite some time sense I've used an AMD CPU. I believe my last one was the XP 3200 Barton core. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. My main concern is my Corsair RGB Vengeance PRO 32GB (16GBx2) kit and its compatibility. AMD cpus seem to prefer different modules than Intel from what I've gleaned in random AMD threads. Should I buy a different kit, or am I fine as is?

It been quite some time sense I've used an AMD CPU. I believe my last one was the XP 3200 Barton core. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. My main concern is my Corsair RGB Vengeance PRO 32GB (16GBx2) kit and its compatibility. AMD cpus seem to prefer different modules than Intel from what I've gleaned in random AMD threads. Should I buy a different kit, or am I fine as is?
I would go ahead and try them out, then determine if you need new ram

Ryzens were only really picky about RAM until the 2nd gen. 3rd gen desktop chips (3xxx) could run RAM reliably up until about 3600, same with these 5xxx CPUs.

I'd say you'd see very very very little upgrade from upgrading that kit of RAM. You could eke out quite a bit of gains by tightening the secondary/tertiary timings on those though.

You will be fine more then likely. You might be leaving a little performance on the table if the sticks are less then 3600mhz but in real world it doesn't matter much.

Thank you all for the responses. I'm going to cross my fingers and hope all works out with my current memory kit.

edit: wrong thread. Set SoC voltage to 1.1 if you have to, x570 tends to be good on the rest.

The 5900x is a fine CPU, I think you'll be happy. RAM issues on Ryzen have been sorted out for a while now. Some will work better than others, but usually it is no problem.

Nice kit!

Realistically, you're likely to downclock that from 4000 C16 to 3600 C14 or 3800 C14 or something, unless you are lucky and your 5900X can do 2000 FCLK. More chips can do 1900 FCLK, but I haven't heard of any that can't do 1800 at this point.

Check your motherboard's QVL list to make sure. I had Corsair before and had nothing but issues.. Ended up swapping to GSkill. If you already purchased the RAM then try it out. If you start having weird crashes and blue screens then that's a good indication. Edit: the gskill is not listed on your mobo list - doesn't mean it won't work. You'll probably be fine.. if you have issues run memtest. Mine worked.

Last edited:
y main concern is my Corsair RGB Vengeance PRO 32GB (16GBx2) kit and its compatibility.
https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-3200mhz/motherboard

If that was the kit:
https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ.../Vengeance-PRO-RGB-Black/p/CMW32GX4M2C3200C16

If seem to be in your MB QVL:
https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/asus-rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero/ram?c=Vermeer#cc

Has other said after Ryzen 2xxx, ram issue seem to be mostly fixed (in my personnel experience and according to the interweb)

That's a pretty high end mobo. I'd be surprised if the RAM didn't work with XMP out the box.
I’ve Lmost always had to feed Corsair kids a bit more SoC voltage on ryzen, even with newer chips - at least at 32G and above, or quad stick. But that’s all it really takes.

I am using the 3600Mhz C18 Vengeance Pro SL (these are the shorter modules) with my 5900X and Dark Hero with no issues.

should be very happy with that cpu i went from a 3900x to a 5950x my 3900x maxed out at 4.4Ghz im able to hit 4.75/4.65Ghz on my new 5950x and after i got a TechN water block to replace my subpar ek one and did some work on my fans im staying under 75c in cb23 now can run 3800/1900 Memory speed/unicore without errors on it and only need 1.12 soc volts.

Unfortunately my 5900x’s memory controller can’t do 1900 mclock but will do 1866 all day with 3733 ram at 14-14-14-28-cr1 and tight secondary and tertiary timings

Unfortunately my 5900x’s memory controller can’t do 1900 mclock but will do 1866 all day with 3733 ram at 14-14-14-28-cr1 and tight secondary and tertiary timings
nice i guess i was sorta luckly my 3900x and 5950x both ran 1900.

edit: wrong thread. Set SoC voltage to 1.1 if you have to, x570 tends to be good on the rest.

Just to expand on this a bit; vSOC is tied to the infinity fabric (FCLK) and may need a little bump at higher rates, don't over do it and pump 1.2v into it if it isn't necessary since too much can also cause instability. You'll likely want to manually set IOD, CCD, VDDP as well since auto with XMP settings will boost them all, and higher isn't always better when it comes to data-transfer lanes. For a moderate daily overclock like XMP settings IOD 1.02v, CCD 0.94v, VDDP 0.9v should be more than enough for XMP and even allow for some moderate manual tinkering.

Also be aware that there are still some RAM training issues (as of AGESA 1.2.0.3b) even for compatibility approved kits, so a little tinkering may be necessary for stability.

I'm still a beginner with indepth RAM tuning, but the AMD Ryzen DDR4 24/7 memory thread over at overclock.net has a lot of indepth info on getting great results (lots of digging required).

Okay, so I bought a 32GB Corsair kit just in case the GSKILL kit had issues as DOCP would most likely not be an option and my manual tweaking skills are rusty at best. I got everything up and running, but I cant seem to get gskill 4000 kit stable at any frequency, even the default 2133mz. Can someone help me configure the proper settings in the BIOS to get this thing working at 3800 (any frequency above 3600 will do. 4000 is probably a dream) For now I'm rocking the corsair kit at 3600 with extremely loose timings as its rock stable with DOCP, but would prefer getting the samsung b-die G-SKILL kit going . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aforementioned kits linked below.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374141?Item=N82E16820374141

https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236405?Description=vengence rgb 32gb&cm_re=vengence_rgb 32gb-_-20-236-405-_-Product

And why aren’t you just using XMP?
I tried with the 4000 Gskill, but it wouldnt even post. I also tried the built-in B-die profile for 3800 and it also did not post. I am however using the XMP(DOCP) with the Corsair kit just fine.

Going from memory here, that makes sense. That’s an overclock on fclock. Or something. It’s really early and I’m on vacation

Honestly 3600 speed is fine. I don't think you will see much gain from going to 3800 or 4000. I mean, it's better, sure, but not worth any stability issues.

But if you do want to try it, try just adding some voltage on the ram core. Just inch up slowly, add the minimum amount (usually this is +0.0125 or something small like that).

Then if it doesn't work, keep adding a little bit until you can boot your system. You probably don't want to add more than +0.1 volts, though it's safe for testing to go higher just to see if it works (I just wouldn't run that for extended periods).

Though, honestly, if the Corsair is working with XMP, just be happy with that and return the other kit.

Honestly 3600 speed is fine. I don't think you will see much gain from going to 3800 or 4000. I mean, it's better, sure, but not worth any stability issues.

But if you do want to try it, try just adding some voltage on the ram core. Just inch up slowly, add the minimum amount (usually this is +0.0125 or something small like that).

Then if it doesn't work, keep adding a little bit until you can boot your system. You probably don't want to add more than +0.1 volts, though it's safe for testing to go higher just to see if it works (I just wouldn't run that for extended periods).

Though, honestly, if the Corsair is working with XMP, just be happy with that and return the other kit.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.
I've been running Gskill 3600 RAM that comes with pretty decent/tight stock timings (14-15-15-35). I played around with some 4000 speed RAM (also with tight timings) and while I did see a negligible increase in performance (something like ~4%) in memory benches, it really was a wash when it came to real world performance gains in apps/gaming. Also, it wasn't 100% stable - even at stock settings. To get it stable across the board with a CPU O/C in everything (benches/gaming/stress tests), I had to loosen timings a good bit, which sort of nullified the performance gains. For the 5000 series AMD CPU's, 3600 RAM really does seem to be the "sweet spot" when it comes to rock solid stability and performance - so long as the kit has decent/tight timings (CAS 14 or 16). Yes, you can go with faster RAM, but then it becomes a cat and mouse game to see if you can get and keep it stable, and even then, the performance gains are nothing to write home about... I wouldn't go with really loose timings though on a 3600 RAM kit if you can help it as there are some really good kits out there with nice and tight timings that simply work and are rock solid. I've been very happy with Gskill in this regard.

If that 3600 Corsair kit is CAS 20 or higher and you have to run it loose for stability, you may want to consider swapping it out for something with CAS 14 or 16 that will hold tight timings, but again, the overall performance gains you'd see would be in the low single digit percentages. May not be worth the added hassle/expense/time to you.

I've been running Gskill 3600 RAM that comes with pretty decent/tight stock timings (14-15-15-35). I played around with some 4000 speed RAM (also with tight timings) and while I did see a negligible increase in performance (something like ~4%) in memory benches, it really was a wash when it came to real world performance gains in apps/gaming. Also, it wasn't 100% stable - even at stock settings. To get it stable across the board with a CPU O/C in everything (benches/gaming/stress tests), I had to loosen timings a good bit, which sort of nullified the performance gains. For the 5000 series AMD CPU's, 3600 RAM really does seem to be the "sweet spot" when it comes to rock solid stability and performance - so long as the kit has decent/tight timings (CAS 14 or 16). Yes, you can go with faster RAM, but then it becomes a cat and mouse game to see if you can get and keep it stable, and even then, the performance gains are nothing to write home about... I wouldn't go with really loose timings though on a 3600 RAM kit if you can help it as there are some really good kits out there with nice and tight timings that simply work and are rock solid. I've been very happy with Gskill in this regard.

If that 3600 Corsair kit is CAS 20 or higher and you have to run it loose for stability, you may want to consider swapping it out for something with CAS 14 or 16 that will hold tight timings, but again, the overall performance gains you'd see would be in the low single digit percentages. May not be worth the added hassle/expense/time to you.
The Corair kit is at CAS 18. I do also have a CAS 16 Crucial kit, but its two DIMMs single rank, so I figured the four stick of corsair would be comparable.

The Corair kit is at CAS 18. I do also have a CAS 16 Crucial kit, but its two DIMMs single rank, so I figured the four stick of corsair would be comparable.
Ya, I'd just stick with the CAS 18 kit then. You could upgrade, but if what you have works and is solid, bird in the hand and all... plus the gains would be very minimal at best.

Okay, so I bought a 32GB Corsair kit just in case the GSKILL kit had issues as DOCP would most likely not be an option and my manual tweaking skills are rusty at best. I got everything up and running, but I cant seem to get gskill 4000 kit stable at any frequency, even the default 2133mz. Can someone help me configure the proper settings in the BIOS to get this thing working at 3800 (any frequency above 3600 will do. 4000 is probably a dream) For now I'm rocking the corsair kit at 3600 with extremely loose timings as its rock stable with DOCP, but would prefer getting the samsung b-die G-SKILL kit going . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Aforementioned kits linked below.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820374141?Item=N82E16820374141

https://www.newegg.ca/corsair-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236405?Description=vengence rgb 32gb&cm_re=vengence_rgb 32gb-_-20-236-405-_-Product

You've got to start with the basics. Begin with 3600/1800 16-16-16-16-32-48 as that's almost guaranteed to be b-die stable on 5000 series [if not start with the same timings at 3200/1600]. Check out the github ddr4 overclocking guide (seems almost tailored for b-die) for some basics on tuning patterns and search this thread for more in-depth info on matching/relationships of different timings if you want to really get into it. Be aware that 2-CCD/CCX like the 5900x may be a bit more finicky with RAM stability tweaking and there are odd behavioral quirks with the infinity fabric and agesa like the "1900 blackholes" that may or may not apply to your individual chip/setup.

For stability testing, y-cruncher is recommended for testing infinity fabric stability (necessary for stably reaching fclk over 1800) and TM5 (TestMemory5) with 1usmus v3 profile for RAM stability since it has well documented error code descriptions.

You'll most likely need a vSOC bump (start at 1.1v and use 0.01 increments) for pushing fclk above 1600. Try to use IOD, CCD, VDDP voltages I posted earlier as they're conservative, but should allow for a decent overclock (nothing too extreme). Samsung B-die can safely run over 1.6v vDIMM daily with good active cooling, but I'd try to keep something reasonable under 1.5v.

Hope you can get some good results!

Back