Just had a brand new Corsair RM850X die.

GST-97

Limp Gawd
So there I was, doing a small upgrade by updating my system into a new case. Had decided at the same time that I would throw a 360 AIO in as well.
While looking at the old setup, realized that the HX850W power supply that was in it was getting quite old, as I purchased it lightly used in 2012 and decided to run to the store and grab an RM850X after seeing they had pretty decent reviews.

Got everything installed into the new case, everything wired, checked over and semi organized.
brought it over, plugged in the power cord, turned on the switch on the power supply.
As i hit the power button i heard a loud pop and saw some sparks out the back of the power supply and then nothing.

I turned off the power strip and unplugged the cable and sat back in horror thinking that this new power supply might have taken out my system.
started taking out the power supply, making sure that none of the cables were pinched somewhere or grounded out, but found nothing.
pulled my old power supply out of my old case and quick ran the cables into the case to be able to test.

thankfully it appears everything survived and the new power supply just killed itself.
strangely, i had no smoke or burnt electronics smell afterwards, but it is definitely dead.

contemplating just mounting and running the old power supply in since it is still working just fine.
almost afraid to get a replacement at this point after my experience with this one, lol.

anyone else had a new higher quality psu commit suicide before? heh.

I built a customer a machine several weeks ago with a 500W EVGA PSU and it died after just a few hours of use, but nothing exciting happened like in your case.

It'd be interesting to open it up and do an autopsy to see why it detonated, but that'd void any warranty it has.

So there I was, doing a small upgrade by updating my system into a new case. Had decided at the same time that I would throw a 360 AIO in as well.
While looking at the old setup, realized that the HX850W power supply that was in it was getting quite old, as I purchased it lightly used in 2012 and decided to run to the store and grab an RM850X after seeing they had pretty decent reviews.

Got everything installed into the new case, everything wired, checked over and semi organized.
brought it over, plugged in the power cord, turned on the switch on the power supply.
As i hit the power button i heard a loud pop and saw some sparks out the back of the power supply and then nothing.

I turned off the power strip and unplugged the cable and sat back in horror thinking that this new power supply might have taken out my system.
started taking out the power supply, making sure that none of the cables were pinched somewhere or grounded out, but found nothing.
pulled my old power supply out of my old case and quick ran the cables into the case to be able to test.

thankfully it appears everything survived and the new power supply just killed itself.
strangely, i had no smoke or burnt electronics smell afterwards, but it is definitely dead.

contemplating just mounting and running the old power supply in since it is still working just fine.
almost afraid to get a replacement at this point after my experience with this one, lol.

anyone else had a new higher quality psu commit suicide before? heh.
Shit happened. All electronic have a possiblity of failure. Just take it back to the store and replace it.

No chance a screw fell in it? Guess some debris might have found it's way in between manufacturing and your doorstep, or something broke loose, or damaged component made it through qc...who knows? RMA that shiz!

No chance a screw fell in it? Guess some debris might have found it's way in between manufacturing and your doorstep, or something broke loose, or damaged component made it through qc...who knows? RMA that shiz!

Last year when I was deploying Dell AIOs at a hospital, I had to take several units apart that were making suspicious rattling noises. Apparently schmucks on the assembly line had dropped at least one screw inside the machine, sometimes more. They hadn't fallen out of anywhere we could see, and it made us paranoid enough to do a shake test on every unit when we took it out of the box.

Entirely possible a piece of solder or wire debris got stuck between somewhere it shouldn't have been in the PSU and it detonated because of it.

No foreign objects to be found. the power supply was basically the last thing I took out of the box to install and it sits under a shroud. Nothing rattling inside.
Even while looking inside I see no signs of anything.
Back to the store tonight to return it, I think I will just keep my old PSU in there for the time being and figure out which PSU to go with.

No foreign objects to be found. the power supply was basically the last thing I took out of the box to install and it sits under a shroud. Nothing rattling inside.
Even while looking inside I see no signs of anything.
Back to the store tonight to return it, I think I will just keep my old PSU in there for the time being and figure out which PSU to go with.
I will wouldn't shy away from Corsair PSU. They are pretty solid and Corsair has really good support. I hear stories of Corsair even replacing entire systems due to a faulty product.

Shit happened. All electronic have a possiblity of failure. Just take it back to the store and replace it.

This. No matter the reputation of how high quality something is, there is always the potential for failure. This shouldn't ever immediately tarnish an entire brand name. Just RMA it as others have said.

Taking it back tonight. If they have another in stock I will likely just exchange it. Too many positive reviews for me to think it was more than a single unit failure.
I guess over the years I have just been lucky, this is the first DOA item I have ever had out of hundreds of PC components.
I think my biggest worry was just the fashion in which it failed

Taking it back tonight. If they have another in stock I will likely just exchange it. Too many positive reviews for me to think it was more than a single unit failure.
I guess over the years I have just been lucky, this is the first DOA item I have ever had out of hundreds of PC components.
I think my biggest worry was just the fashion in which it failed
It could've been worse. That's just how power supplies die: spark-poof, pop, pow, or *flame*.

Edit: well, sometimes the protection kicks in and it just goes click, but I wouldn't be surprised by more extravagant deaths given the amps and voltages present.

No way in hell id touch that model and definitely not the same batch with my gear again. Get something else.

I have had two Corsair PSUs die on me. One was out of warranty and had a decent run, the other was their top of the line 860 watt unit and they replaced it under warranty with their top of the line 1500 watt unit. I am using a Seasonic unit in my main rig now, but my service experience with Corsair is outstanding.

Forgive the dumb question, but did you replace your old cables with the new ones? Corsair has changed the pinout on the PSU side of their modular cables a few times over the years.

Forgive the dumb question, but did you replace your old cables with the new ones? Corsair has changed the pinout on the PSU side of their modular cables a few times over the years.

I don't think his old HX model had modular cables.

I have the 850 RMX and it works fine. Just get a replacement. No matter what the PSU, someone, somewhere will say it's junk.

Sorry for the loss of this new PSU GST-97. I truly hope the exchanged PSU serves you better than this one did. It goes back to something I learned about technology a long time ago, "If new hardware is going to die on you it'll either do it within its first 30 days of use or 30 days after all the warranties have expired." Out!

Back