Just got new GPU for Fallout 4 but game won't use my V-RAM

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
Just yesterday I got a new Videocard to improve my Fallout 4 experience. Upgraded from a Radeon HD7850 1GB to a Radeon RX460 4GB. The seemingly odd issue i'm having is I can't get Fallout 4 to use more than about 1.8GB of my new videocard's 4GB of V-RAM. In fact changing my texture quality from medium, high or ultra doesn't seem to have a very big effect on my V-RAM usage which I found odd. Is this normal? at 1080P res with all settings maxed I can't exceed more than 1.8GB of V-RAM usage. I'm not using the texture pack for now because my internet's not fast enough to download it so I have been unable to test with that.

Did you uninstall your drivers before removing the old card? Might need to uninstall drivers and reinstall.

maybe delete the .ini file so it re-detects the video card the next time it starts up.

maybe delete the .ini file so it re-detects the video card the next time it starts up.
If that's all its using, that's all it needs. It's already recognized that you have a new card as it's using almost double the VRAM that your old card had. 1080 just isn't a very high resolution.

If that's all its using, that's all it needs. It's already recognized that you have a new card as it's using almost double the VRAM that your old card had. 1080 just isn't a very high resolution.

Thank you very much for this helpful response. It appears that's all the game needed at 1080p even at every graphic setting at max was about 1.8 GB. I'm playing on survival so it's taken me quite a while to reach diamond city and finally upon reaching it I finally witnessed my v-ram usage reaching 2.2GB of usage. It was just really hard for me to understand because from my thorough google searching it appeared the game should have been using more v-ram than it was but It appears now that everything is working as normally. Thank you to everybody who responded to my issue. I love this community!

The graphics mods will also make it use more. That might be why you were seeing other people with higher usage.

Yeah the game uses 2.7gb v-ram on 1440p, so around 1.8-2.2k on 1080p sounds about right.

Just yesterday I got a new Videocard to improve my Fallout 4 experience. Upgraded from a Radeon HD7850 1GB to a Radeon RX460 4GB.
You missed a trick and the [H] Fallout 4 UHD texture pack review.
The new UHD texture pack gives the same framerate but needs more than 4GB vram.
Shoulda got the 8GB, the game looks substantially better with the UHD pack.

I'm at 1080p with a 980ti and have seen it occasionally max out 6GB, it stutters a little at those times.

[H] tested what happens with 4GB HBM on the Fury and it stutters.
Unfortunately this is likely to be worse on 4GB cards without HBM.
But its worth a try just in case.

Just yesterday I got a new Videocard to improve my Fallout 4 experience. Upgraded from a Radeon HD7850 1GB to a Radeon RX460 4GB. The seemingly odd issue i'm having is I can't get Fallout 4 to use more than about 1.8GB of my new videocard's 4GB of V-RAM. In fact changing my texture quality from medium, high or ultra doesn't seem to have a very big effect on my V-RAM usage which I found odd. Is this normal? at 1080P res with all settings maxed I can't exceed more than 1.8GB of V-RAM usage. I'm not using the texture pack for now because my internet's not fast enough to download it so I have been unable to test with that.

Other than VRAM, is the performance any better? 460 has a faster clock but less CUs. Seems like they'd be roughly equal in most cases.

Other than VRAM, is the performance any better? 460 has a faster clock but less CUs. Seems like they'd be roughly equal in most cases.

Oh heck yea the performance is way better. I was playing at 1360p with all other settings on medium but now I'm rocking 1080p res, ultra textures, ultra decals and medium draw distance. It was a tremendous improvement.

Back