PSU: Seasonic X-460 Fanless
Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2
CPU cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620
RAM: Samsung 8GB 30nm 1.35V DDR3 1600
GPU: PowerColor Go! Green AX7750
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB

sg05_1.jpg

I replaced the original restrictive front hex grill with a much more open hex grill (ModRight ModMesh).

sg05_2.jpg

I modified this case to accommodate a full size ATX modular power supply.

sg05_3.jpg

A sheet of aluminum was cut to hold the SSD drive at the side of the case.

I measured AC power consumption with a Kill A Watt.

Power Consumption:

IDLE: 39W
Prime95: 98W
Prime95 + Furmark: 138W

Prime95 was set to Torture Test In-place large FFTs.

Nice build, esp at the back, it looks like it came that way from the factory.

But you should get some shorter PSU cables, since it's modular...

In which direction is the front fan moving air?

Thanks!

I did want to get shorter PSU cables. I tried crimping them shorter myself. I got the pins and a crimp tool and completed the job. But then one day while moving some stuff around in the case, some wires just slipped right out. The wires that slipped out were the ones where two wires were crimped into one pin. It seems the original pins had connectors that were made to hold more than one wire, while the ones I got are only good for one. The process was way too time consuming so I won't bother with a second attempt.

EDIT: I have since replaced the PSU cables with shorter ones from an eBay seller named "socaltoad". They were very well done. The 24 pin motherboard cable is now 6" and the 8 pin CPU cable is 11". Looks a lot cleaner now!

The front fan is moving air out of the case.

Last edited:
that a sexa little box..

want to ask, you went with the E3-1230 which gives 4 cores and HT, what is the down side vs going with say a 2500k or an i7?

I went with the E3-1230 V2 because it is an Ivy Bridge CPU with the 4 cores and HT like the i7, but costs a lot less. It has no onboard video, which can save some power. TDP is 69W.

I like this CPU so much, I got another for my headless Windows Home Server 2011 machine (to be used for more than just a file server).

This CPU is a great value. It is too bad a lot of people don't know about it since it is marketed for servers.

Back