Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl

I remember seeing screenshots of that a year ago. I always assumed they were fake.

Last edited:
The AVGN game was actually kinda good, this looks kinda crap.

The AVGN game was actually kinda good, this looks kinda crap.
yeah like a nes beat-em-up. its getting decent reviews, except for the auto-scroll level which is reminding people of the battle toads turbo tunnel...

Say what you want about the nostalgia peddling here, Kevin Smith and friends known their audience ;)

I guess no one played one of the best NES games called River City Ransom? Not that I want to play this Kevin Smith version.

This is exactly what I thought of when I first saw the video, "They just reskinned River City".

Also, I acquired a hacked rom of this game once called "Pussy City Pimps" when you hit the other npc's money would fall out. Gave me a chuckle.

I guess no one played one of the best NES games called River City Ransom? Not that I want to play this Kevin Smith version.

I mean, it says this right on the website for the Mall Brawl game:

Jay and Silent Bob: Mall Brawl features 2 player co-op action with an 8-bit aesthetic and gameplay style similar to action brawlers on the (NES), particularly River City Ransom (1989) and Double Dragon II (1988).

This reminded me to check out the old campaign I remembered from Fig....

It turns out the Mall Brawl is in fact a "mini-game" that's coming as a prelude to "Jay and Silent Bob: Chronic Blunt Punch", which is a vastly visually (and perhaps mechanically) advanced brawler. This is pretty cool and seems to echo other crowdfunded projects for instance most famously "Bloodstained: Circle of the Moon", the NES-style old Castlevania side-game-prelude to the main project "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" , and how "Dawnthorne" is coming before "Hazelnut Bastille", among others.

More info on both titles - https://www.fig.co/campaigns/jay-and-silent-bob-chronic-blunt-punch/updates/1205

---

Oh and regarding beat-em-ups, there are some great ones these days on PC - both revivals of older titles and newer ones. Fun fact, the "River City Ransom" games we know are actually a rather limited localization of the Japanese "Kunio-kun" series; there are a LOT more games out there than the few that officially came to the West - at least until recently. There are some from the 3DS era that are well made (playable via Citra emulator), plus a few that even came to PC natively. Note that the "River City Ransom: Underground" is an excellent and comprehensive beat-em-up, but is NOT part of the mainline series but a totally Western indie interpretation based on the localization of the NES title. On the contrary, recent titles like "Stay Cool, Kobayashi-san: A River City Ransom Story" and "River City Girls" are both part of the mainline JP game universe. All are worth playing if you enjoy beat-em ups!

Retro beat-em ups are also experiencing something of a resurgence in general - lots of good titles, from new entries in classic series to independent titles entirely.

Last edited:
Back