ISIS Used eBay To Send Money To A US Operative

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A recently unsealed affidavit alleges that U.S. citizen Mohamed Elshinawy pledged allegiance to ISIS and received about $8,700 from the terrorist organization through PayPal under the cover of fake computer printer sales. Elshinawy was arrested over a year ago following a surveillance operation that led to the discovery.

I have a feeling this probably happens quite a bit. With how organizations such as this are monitored, this seems to be a fairly easy way to transfer funds. Tough to say how to stop it though.

A spokesperson for eBay said the online marketplace has "zero tolerance" for criminal activity, the Journal reports, and the that the company is working with law enforcement on the case. A spokeswoman for PayPal said the digital payment platform "invests significant resources" into proactively reporting suspicious activity, and also works with law enforcement on this issue.

Ebay is a shit show of horrible customer service.

They make too much in fees of this kind of stuff for them to actually do anything about it. I knew a few scumbag scammers in college that used ebay as a way to buy and sell drugs/shit they stole from work. Sleazy stuff.

So you "buy" $8000 worth of computers - how does ebay know whether anyone ever ships anything if both parties "agree" that everything is OK?

(they don't)

Ah. Zero tolerance for criminal activity, unless you're a seller on ebay that gets their item/money stolen by scammer douchebags. Right on.

Sooooo.. new easy money making scheme AND a way to drain ISIS bank accounts.

1. Feign loyalty to ISIS
2. ISIS sends you money
3. Profit

If enough people do this then we can funnel the money back the US from the scumbags sending it there in the first place.

Ah. Zero tolerance for criminal activity, unless you're a seller on ebay that gets their item/money stolen by scammer douchebags. Right on.

This, a million fucking times this. I hate using Ebay, and only do so when I have too, but this year alone I've already been burned once by a guy from Ukraine. Luckily I only lost out on about $70 worth of product and I didn't have to get that product in the first place (stripping and selling recycled PC's and spare OEM parts from upgrades we do on new systems for customers)

I was so fucking mad because Ebay just told me to eat a dick pretty much, hence I do only the bare minimum on Ebay anymore, it's my last resort.

I wonder is this something which is supposed to be weird ? There plenty of ways to transfer funds ;) . Don't even have to involve things as Ebay or Paypal can be done through bank transfers and enough 3rd parties.

I wonder is this something which is supposed to be weird ? There plenty of ways to transfer funds ;) . Don't even have to involve things as Ebay or Paypal can be done through bank transfers and enough 3rd parties.

Just another "OMG!!!!! Terrorists use the Internet!!!!! We need to shut it down now!!!!!!" headline.

i think we should stop arresting these people that want to go join isis. instead, we take them to a nice unclean room, open them up and insert a tracking device along with a small bomb. sew them up and release them. let them go join isis. we track them and when we see they are in a group of isis, detonate the bomb

Back