Is Xbox Live Gold Membership No Longer Available?

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
My membership is up this month and I tried to buy a renewal and the Xbox Store tells me it's no longer available. I don't want to upgrade to Game Pass Ultimate as I only play one game and I already own it. Is the digital keys of the 3 and 6 month Xbox Live Gold membership from 3rd parties still being accepted?

I just used up 3 12 month cards I bought a few months ago. They worked fine. Then I upgraded them all to game pass ultimate for $1. It worked fine.

I found 12 month cards still for sale. Just not direct from MS.

Been doing some searching around and theres rumors online multiplayer is going to be free.

I'm not sure if MS ever gave an answer what's happening with Gold. There was a rumor that they were phasing out the program and making it free.

Been doing some searching around and theres rumors online multiplayer is going to be free.

Ah, beat me to it.

Either way I got the game pass ultimate for 3 years for under $100. Not a bad deal. I wouldnt pay $15 a month for it thats for sure.

I just used up 3 12 month cards I bought a few months ago. They worked fine. Then I upgraded them all to game pass ultimate for $1. It worked fine.

I found 12 month cards still for sale. Just not direct from MS.
Don't think you can do that anymore. I read some of the reviews from people who bought the 12 month Live Gold cards and when they got upgraded they only got 4 months Game Pass Ultimate and they were forced to upgrade.

Don't think you can do that anymore. I read some of the reviews from people who bought the 12 month Live Gold cards and when they got upgraded they only got 4 months Game Pass Ultimate and they were forced to upgrade.
You can still do it as of this morning. I will not link the thread here, but the instructions are on slickdeals. I had a friend successfully do it this morning. The trick to it is, you cannot have more than 36 months. an expired gold account or new account work best, and you CANNOT turn on the auto renew (for a free month) when adding the codes to your account. Yes those are a few hoops to jump through. But worked great for my expired gold membership and his.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if MS ever gave an answer what's happening with Gold. There was a rumor that they were phasing out the program and making it free.

Ah, beat me to it.
I find it hard to believe MS making online play free. It makes them tons of money and console players are very willing to pay it.

I find it hard to believe MS making online play free. It makes them tons of money and console players are very willing to pay it.

Same, if anything they are trying to figure out how to combine XBL and Games Pass, which would be a good move if priced right IMO. I've been hoping Sony would do the same with PS Plus and Now.

I just bought a bunch of 12 month codes from Costco canada's website yesterday so there are still some around. Grey market sites like Gamivo to I think.

I still find it amusing to have to pay to play online when you already paid for the console and the game and now MS and Sony force you to pay to use their "interface" to let you play online...Sadly you see it in the PC world too :(

If we are going to hear anything this year about Gold, it would probably happen at the game awards on the 10th.

Back