Is VR even worth it?

1 million isn’t a huge success for a AAA game. Besides all the VR shovelware, how many AAA games are there?

Sure for a "regular" AAA game. But this is a title that is VR only, so I'd say those number are pretty remarkable given it's only been out for 11 weeks. You seem quite eager to downplay VR for someone that has no first hand experience with high quality VR. As I mentioned, there are easily hundreds of high quality VR titles out there if you'd even bother to go look - which of course you aren't interested in doing because you are too busy knocking VR.

Sure for a "regular" AAA game. But this is a title that is VR only, so I'd say those number are pretty remarkable given it's only been out for 11 weeks. You seem quite eager to downplay VR for someone that has no first hand experience with high quality VR. As I mentioned, there are easily hundreds of high quality VR titles out there if you'd even bother to go look - which of course you aren't interested in doing because you are too busy knocking VR.

I actually would like to see VR take off but with even more immersion and less restrictions as I mentioned in my other post in this thread. It also needs to be priced cheaper at the high end and not be $1k for the top end one w/the nice finger controllers. In addition, Sony isn't even talking about VR right now with PS5 which isn't a good sign for mass adoption.

1 million isn’t a huge success for a AAA game. Besides all the VR shovelware, how many AAA games are there?

It is when you consider the cost of entry and small initial market.

---

Anyway, my Rift S is coming in. I can't justify the Index currently because I don't have the space or ability to mount. So, I settled for the Rift S. I just want to play Alyx. Half Life is my favorite series. Valve already gave me a free copy months ago. Don't exactly know why...but sure.

Half Life Alyx has sold just over 800,000 copies since its release on March 23rd, less than 3 months ago. (That data is from Steamspy as of May 13th). And if you include Valve Index owners that got the game for free, then there are just over 1 million copies.

Abysmal library of games? Seriously, have you even bothered looking? Steam has 4,200+ VR only titles and over 5,100+ VR supported titles out there now - granted lots of shovelware just like pancake games, but easily hundreds of high quality VR titles are in that mix now and growing.

800k is trash for a Half-Life game after the blue balls that have been filling up over the years.

Essentially it's proof that no property on the planet can actually push it through.

Lol those are pretty big numbers for a niche market. With the lead time on all of the head sets being what it is... I don't think valve is disappointed.

Speaking of lead time... Our rift s screen was damaged by the sun while transporting it.
My son has been on my ass to replace it. Couldn't find a Rift S anywhere, so I grabbed a quest at walmart after reading about the link.
I am super impressed with it. I have a intel 9560 wifi chip on my motherboard. I created a hotspot for the headset and have been streaming pc games to it.
There is a bit of latency but you get used to it pretty quick. I would much rather use the quest wireless setup over a wired rift s.

Back