Is this computer any good?

Reason most these cheapo computers die early is cause people don't take care of them. They stick them in a cabinet where they get completely bno airflow. Keep it on 24/7 in there. Also never open clean out all the dust that will build up in them.

Reason most these cheapo computers die early is cause people don't take care of them. They stick them in a cabinet where they get completely bno airflow. Keep it on 24/7 in there. Also never open clean out all the dust that will build up in them.

The primary reason that cheapo computers fail is because of shitty power supplies. They use supplies from Liteon, HEC, Delta and Bestec which have "ratings" more based on hopes and wishes rather than concrete evidence.

Reactions: maro
like this
Should be fine for net/office.. just double check Acer's warranty.

FWIW to the OP and concerns about acer - I have owned a few of their products over the years and while they're always on the cheaper end of the scale they've generally served me well - a couple monitors, a laptop I got from Microcenter as a refurb 10 years ago - all still working.

As others already said it should be fine for what you're doing. Although I do agree that if it does die it's likely gonna be that PSU...

Don't forget PowMax... but don't ask how I know about PowMax or how shitty they are :p

I see your Powmax and raise you Deer. I was once given a PC that wasn't working, and upon inspection the PSU housing was bowed out on all open sides. Opened it up to find that every single capacitor on both the primary and secondary side had forcibly detonated so violently that nothing was left of the outer aluminum cans or labels but aluminum and plastic confetti, mixed with what looked like shredded wet cardboard. Couldn't figure that out until I realized it was part of the insulation between the capacitor plates. It was a Deer PSU. Needless to say, everything in the system was a charcoal briquette.

I see your Powmax and raise you Deer. I was once given a PC that wasn't working, and upon inspection the PSU housing was bowed out on all open sides. Opened it up to find that every single capacitor on both the primary and secondary side had forcibly detonated so violently that nothing was left of the outer aluminum cans or labels but aluminum and plastic confetti, mixed with what looked like shredded wet cardboard. Couldn't figure that out until I realized it was part of the insulation between the capacitor plates. It was a Deer PSU. Needless to say, everything in the system was a charcoal briquette.
That's a more spectacular fail than mine. I'd bought the powmax because I had an AT System (K6-350) with a failing PSU, and was planning on an ATX build a few months later; and Powmax was the only company I could find who made a PSU that supported both standards. Which as a poor college student seemed like a good way to save $50ish.

It worked fine for my initial install. But then a week before school was going to start I started building my new system; while doing so I botched installing my heatsink and crushed my Athlon XP-1400's core. Not having time to get a replacement in time I had to reassemble my older system; but something went wrong and *POP*. RIP old system.

At that point I went to school with 2 broken systems and had to get parts shipped to there. The final insult was that my big Newegg box of parts arrived, and was picked up at the same time as I got my giant stack of textbooks for the semester; which wouldn't have been too bad except that the elevator in my dorm building broke. Leaving me with the choice of carrying 50 pounds of ballast up 15 flgihts of stairs, or waiting in the lobby hoping it would be fixed in the next 30m and carrying 50 pounds of ballast across campus if not. I picked the first poison; trudged up the stairs reaching my floor absolutely exhausted, dumped it in my room, and went to the elevator lobby; where naturally the elevator was working again. 😡

The new system worked great for a few years, before eventually dying of capacitor plague (the industrial espionage bad electrolyte fail edition, not the manufacturing fail over filled one).

As an appliance computer it will be fine IMO. The only thing I recommend to my non-gaming friends is the make sure to get some form of SSD storage. It just makes general quality of life better. Given your stated use-case, I would have gone to a local Bestbuy Microcenter or similar and gotten something with a carry-in warranty (for convenience).

I know a lot of guys here will say Nay but they forget that not everyone is as [H] as they are or simply want a simple computer for just putting around and not do anything hardcore which also require much less powerful specs.

Last edited:
Yea I did not mean to cause undue worry. That computer will be fine.

Heard a buzzing noise when I turned on my computer, so turned it off and on several times.

Pretty sure it's not the HDD, because my computer has an SSD.

Computer's not even a month old. There's no way something's wrong with it already.

Computer didn't make any buzzing noise after the 2nd time I turned it off and on.

Back