Is this a good choice of RAM for ASUS ROG Strix X570-E?

I'm looking to rebuild for gaming and 3D rendering (Maya, Blender, Zbrush, etc). I've narrowed things down to either the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero or the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E, a 5900x, and 64 GB. First, if you have any suggestions on better/newer motherboards I am open.

I've narrowed RAM down to:

Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 64GB (32GBx2) CL16 BL2K32G36C16U4B (BLACK)​

Amazon Link

I am out of the loop on hardware and have learned there are new things to consider such as single and dual rank, the fact that AMD mobo's don't like anything over 4000Mhz, and the 1:1 FCLK MCLK thing. Would the above RAM be a good choice? I was thinking 32x2 in case I ever wanted to add another 64 in the future, but if 4 sticks would be best then I'll do that. If you different suggestions for memory let me know. I'd like to rebuild sometime this weekend.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm looking to rebuild for gaming and 3D rendering (Maya, Blender, Zbrush, etc). I've narrowed things down to either the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero or the ASUS ROG Strix X570-E, a 5900x, and 64 GB. First, if you have any suggestions on better/newer motherboards I am open.

I've narrowed RAM down to:

Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 64GB (32GBx2) CL16 BL2K32G36C16U4B (BLACK)​

Amazon Link

I am out of the loop on hardware and have learned there are new things to consider such as single and dual rank, the fact that AMD mobo's don't like anything over 4000Mhz, and the 1:1 FCLK MCLK thing. Would the above RAM be a good choice? I was thinking 32x2 in case I ever wanted to add another 64 in the future, but if 4 sticks would be best then I'll do that. If you different suggestions for memory let me know. I'd like to rebuild sometime this weekend.
I got a 2 x 16 GB version of that RAM, same specs. I had an initial problem with system stability, so Crucial RMAed that memory. Replacement memory has been rock steady. Not a single BSOD or reboot in almost 18 months.

So far I have not tweaked any BIOS settigs. I have a Strix E x570.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
3600 speed is good, you can go higher on certain boards, but it's kind of diminishing returns past maybe 4000.

I would check the motherboard website you are buying and see their QVL list for memory. It will let you know if that RAM is officially supported, and at what speed and features.

Note, the company does not test every single RAM stick out there, so you can still buy if it's not on the list, but it should give you an idea of which brands and models will work.

64GB is more than enough for now, I'm rocking that on my machine and I haven't come close to running out of memory.

Quad channel memory does exist, but it is more rare on consumer parts. So usually you will want 2 sticks, as they can achieve better speeds.

3600 speed is good, you can go higher on certain boards, but it's kind of diminishing returns past maybe 4000.

I would check the motherboard website you are buying and see their QVL list for memory. It will let you know if that RAM is officially supported, and at what speed and features.

Note, the company does not test every single RAM stick out there, so you can still buy if it's not on the list, but it should give you an idea of which brands and models will work.

64GB is more than enough for now, I'm rocking that on my machine and I haven't come close to running out of memory.

Quad channel memory does exist, but it is more rare on consumer parts. So usually you will want 2 sticks, as they can achieve better speeds.
My motherboard can handle 4 sticks, so I could add 2 sticks of 16 GB (or 32 GB !) if and when I'm running software that wants that kind of RAM. So far my two RAM hogs, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom, seem to run OK with 32 GB. Big issue for me is that I have a very outdated GPU card, and my budget won't allow me to pay a scalper's price.

Yes, you can use either 2 sticks or 4 sticks. However, some motherboard/RAM combination will not work optimally with 4 sticks. It is less of an issue these days, but (for example) if you are overclocking the RAM it can sometimes be easier with 2 sticks.

In any case, it is not a huge deal (as I said, things are better these days) but 2 sticks is also desirable so it's easier to add more RAM later (but always use the exact same brand/model/size, never mix and match).

Most apps will run fine with 32GB. If you want to save some money you can get 32GB (2 x 16GB) and upgrade later if needed. I know Unreal Engine 5 can use up to 64GB and also if you use virtual machines it can help.

Yes, you can use either 2 sticks or 4 sticks. However, some motherboard/RAM combination will not work optimally with 4 sticks. It is less of an issue these days, but (for example) if you are overclocking the RAM it can sometimes be easier with 2 sticks.

In any case, it is not a huge deal (as I said, things are better these days) but 2 sticks is also desirable so it's easier to add more RAM later (but always use the exact same brand/model/size, never mix and match).

Most apps will run fine with 32GB. If you want to save some money you can get 32GB (2 x 16GB) and upgrade later if needed. I know Unreal Engine 5 can use up to 64GB and also if you use virtual machines it can help.
I don't use Unreal Engine 5 and right now my VM usage is pretty minimal. Still the idea that I can just reorder that same RAM part and get 64 GB is just great.

I was very happy that my first PC was a Z-80 CPM machine with 64 KB. When I upgraded to a IBM PC AT with 256 MB :ROFLMAO: I thought I'd gone to heaven.

Back