Is there a performance advantage of using EXT4 on Windows?

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I saw that utilities exist that add EXT4 file system support to Windows for secondary disk drives. I'm curious if anyone knows of any performance advantages in doing this? since EXT4 is more advanced than NTFS?

I am going to recommend against it. But not due to performance, but due to difference. It was never meant to be used with Windows.

More advanced? Well, it's yes and no. The "difference" aspect of POSIX vs NTFS permissions for example... as far as Windows is concerned, NTFS wins there. Does it beat NTFS with regards to fragmentation? Likely. Note: ext4 is old, just not nearly as old as NTFS.

From a purely Microsoft perspective, there is Microsoft's ReFS, but for whatever reason, while fully supported (emphasis), access to it is restricted (now). It has some of those more advanced features that are typically found in Linux environments. But Microsoft has decided they'll make more money by restricting your access to it. Do I use it? Yes, on systems where supported. However, note, ReFS, while superior in many ways (more contemporary), it's lacking a lot of features that have come with NTFS over time. So YMMV.

(so maybe a toss up to some, but I'd choose ReFS over Ext4, because it has to be better supported by Microsoft, by definition, noting that Microsoft has been known to eat their own children)

use ReFS as long as you have 2 backups of your data

they still haven't fixed ReFs ""intended by design bug"" when integrity is enabled (what it should do is throw a crc Read Error when it hits part of the file that is broken but thats whats not happen), as it stands right now if there is 1 single error that fails a checksum it just simply ""Silently"" removes the file name (but not the data) from the namespace and places an event log of the action (no user facing errors apart from the file name disappeared)

and is there is no way to actually free up the space of the file that was hidden so if it was a 500GB file you have to delete the partition and recreate it to free up space

last one the start of the filesystem is not redundant so sometimes the whole partition won't load (no way to access data and have to delete and recreate it)

Back