Is there a good strategy to getting a 6700xt?

biggles

2[H]4U
So I have read that the 6700xt is being released on March 18. Just wondering what the best way to try and buy it on that day would be. Recognizing there are no guarantees I would be successful given the poor buyers situation we are in. Is there some sort of wait list to join on AMD.com, newegg.com, or someplace else? Or maybe just refresh the webpage of newegg (or another online retailer) early in the morning of March 18?

Decide what website you want to buy from. Be logged in to your account, have whatever payment method youre using up to date and saved with the seller (So youre not wasting time filling it out).

Be quicker than a bot.

Decide what website you want to buy from. Be logged in to your account, have whatever payment method youre using up to date and saved with the seller (So youre not wasting time filling it out).

Be quicker than a bot.
Exactly. Which we all know is nearly impossible lately. I am hoping for enough availability that general consumers can get one.

Which websites are recommended besides newegg.com? Has anyone purchased directly from AMD.com? If so, good experience?

wait for them to actually release and then start hitting F5....

Which websites are recommended besides newegg.com? Has anyone purchased directly from AMD.com? If so, good experience?
based on kyles bike purchase, id say they are good.

I'm also curious about this. 6700XT looks better than I expected and I kind of want one and am realizing I might be fool enough to wait outside Microcenter or BB to get one if they have them near MSRP.

Bought 5700 XT AE and recently a 5800X -> Good so far, awaiting 5800x which is supposed to come tomorrow.

Thousands of actual human beings camping discord channels waiting to get something. Bots are quite the bugaboo. Not saying they aren't a factor, because they are, but people like to overlook the human element here as well and it is a big one.

So I have read that the 6700xt is being released on March 18. Just wondering what the best way to try and buy it on that day would be. Recognizing there are no guarantees I would be successful given the poor buyers situation we are in. Is there some sort of wait list to join on AMD.com, newegg.com, or someplace else? Or maybe just refresh the webpage of newegg (or another online retailer) early in the morning of March 18?
At BestBuy:
  • Create an account, up to date for payment method etc. if you don't have one
  • Save all the GPUs interested in
  • The save GPUs will pop up when you open your cart even if you have nothing in your cart, use F5 periodically
  • When the GPU become available it will be right there for you to add to your cart with your cart open
    • BestBuy has a two step process, hit the Add to Cart and you will be prompted to wait until it pops up again to add to cart, can be 5 min or 15min. My 3090 was around 10min before I actually was able to add it to my cart.
      • DO NOT USE F5 during the waiting period, you will loose your spot
    • I don't remember if they have an email/text check, make sure in any case your email and phone number is correct if they verify also via email/text message
  • Once added to cart, check out as fast as possible, if your shipping, payment method, store pickup is all current, you will be able to nab it in a few seconds
At NewEgg:
  • Pretty much the same thing, account, payment method, email, phone etc. up to date
  • Save the cards you want to your wish list and open up your wish list, use F5 periodically to refresh
  • Once a card becomes available, add to cart and checkout as soon as possible (was able to nab a 6900XT this way)
Amazon:
  • I would say forget it, never seen any recent cards at good prices but you can try with similar methods above
AMD:
  • For US:
  • I really don't know if you can have an account for purchases for CPUs/GPUs. The Fan Store you can but no sells for those as far as I can tell.
Best of Luck.

Edit: NewEgg and BestBuy will use Twitter to hint at future drops. For me Newegg hint prompted me to watch and was able to grab a 6900 XT without too much effort, some luck is also involved.

https://twitter.com/bestbuy
https://twitter.com/Newegg

Last edited:
I bet Newegg will put the RX 6700 XTs in a shuffle. Seems like they have one for RTX 3000 and RX 6000 vid cards every day or two. https://www.newegg.com/product-shuffle Throw name in hat, hope they pick you.

If you're just looking for a card and aren't picky about brand, keep an eye open for NV drops. There were a lot of them on BestBuy.com on 6900XT launch day. I wasn't quick enough on a couple of 3080s but managed to land a 3090 from Best Buy on 6900XT launch day.

Best Buy has a habit of waiting a bit after a launch and slowly releasing products.

If they haven't upgraded the site amd.com will likely have issues when the RX 6700XT launches. During previous launches, including the last one (6900XT) the site tended to time out, then ban you if you hit the back button and tried again or hit F5. It was just a cookie ban though, so you could just clear cookies and start over. You should use a different browser for amd.com since clearing cookies might screw up other sites and finding the AMD cookies is too time consuming. I'd clear all data before hitting amd.com actually. That way it'll delete faster if/when the site barfs and cookie bans you. I usually use Chrome, so I'd use Edge for amd.com.

"If you're just looking for a card and aren't picky about brand, keep an eye open for NV drops."

What are "NV drops"?

Based on Gamer Nexus 6700xt video I would suggest going to a B&M the morning of 3/18 or maybe camp out earlier? I know Microcenter has gotten a ton of cards for past releases, and AMD appears to be trying to get cars into retail channels more.

That's a good point on NV droppings, :eek:. Now since this is a all out AIB/AMD Ref launch with OEM pre-builds, hopefully a better catch for those who try and put some work in.

'NV droppings' lol sounds like something you find in the park on the grass. Only green?

Anyhow, 6700 xt launch is on March 18th from what I've read. 5700 xt cards are selling out in seconds on newegg's website right now for $679. Let that sink in for a minute. What does that mean for the 6700 xt launch?

Right yah. Good luck.

Reactions: noko
like this
I'm also curious about this. 6700XT looks better than I expected and I kind of want one and am realizing I might be fool enough to wait outside Microcenter or BB to get one if they have them near MSRP.
update: after reading thru the local channel on the MC discord server and checking the current list price of 6800/3060Ti/3070 cards I have come to the conclusion that the 6700XT can go f*ck itself, I don't want one, I wouldn't be able to get one for a reasonable price if I did, and I shouldn't even try.

please stay tuned for when I change my mind again in seven hours and decide that the 6700XT is the best shit of the year and I must get my hands on one on the 18th no matter how difficult.

Why am I like this. My V64 isn't even that slow.

What is the connection between Nvidia cards going up for sale and getting a 6700xt? It sounds like advice on getting video cards in general, is this correct?
Yes, it is general advice. I don't know if you're set on a 6700XT in particular or just want AMD or what, but a lot of people who just want a card will read this thread so I figure I ought to mention what happened last time AMD launched a card.

Based on Gamer Nexus 6700xt video I would suggest going to a B&M the morning of 3/18 or maybe camp out earlier? I know Microcenter has gotten a ton of cards for past releases, and AMD appears to be trying to get cars into retail channels more.
Which physical stores are candidates to "camp out" at? I live in the SF Bay Area close to San Jose. We do not have a Microcenter here. I could try Bestbuy or Central Computer though. Any chance that would work?

I bought a 6900 XT through AMD.com on launch day. First try. Through a VPN. Just got lucky I guess.

update: after reading thru the local channel on the MC discord server and checking the current list price of 6800/3060Ti/3070 cards I have come to the conclusion that the 6700XT can go f*ck itself, I don't want one, I wouldn't be able to get one for a reasonable price if I did, and I shouldn't even try.

please stay tuned for when I change my mind again in seven hours and decide that the 6700XT is the best shit of the year and I must get my hands on one on the 18th no matter how difficult.

Why am I like this. My V64 isn't even that slow.
Yeah my 390X is still rocking my system this 6700 card should be 200 not 479 for 1440p resolution.

Just got lucky I guess.
Oh most def. I also got lucky on 3090 launch day and was able to get one from their website.

The 3090 and 6900 are easier to get now, though by no means 'easy'. At $1500, it kills off enough of the demand they can often be found in stock for over a whole 60 seconds at a time. What a window! lol

I bought a 6900 XT through AMD.com on launch day. First try. Through a VPN. Just got lucky I guess.
LOL...we all know that AMD is watching you and, VPN or no, opened the "golden portal" for you as soon as your machine pinged their server. ;)

LOL...we all know that AMD is watching you and, VPN or no, opened the "golden portal" for you as soon as your machine pinged their server. ;)
Yeah, let's face it. AMD is happy I am gone too. Maybe not as much as NVIDIA...

Yeah, let's face it. AMD is happy I am gone too. Maybe not as much as NVIDIA...
Who thinks you are gone? o_O

Anyways, any plans upcoming or for the future you want to share? A book? Having a front row seat with a very transformative period of history, world changing in a significant way in the last 3 decades I would think has a lot of value.

ROG strix 6700xt 823.xx each
ASUS TUF 6700xt 794.xx each
ASUS Dual 6700xt 724.xx each

so much for MSRP, looks like ASUS is scalping the scalper?

Last edited:
Only good strategy is hoping to find one at MSRP, good luck with that. Maybe MC?

I got my email from Newegg, promising "great pricing" on 6700XTs. Silly me: I thought the "great pricing" comment was referencing consumers, not retailers. Gah.

Nearly 60% markup? (No, I didn't do the math. $479 MSRP vs. there up to $800.)

ROG strix 6700xt 823.xx each
ASUS TUF 6700xt 794.xx each
ASUS Dual 6700xt 724.xx each

so much for MSRP, looks like ASUS is scalping the scalper?
Did you actually expected it to be different from the other AMD cards released? Can you blame them? Everything is being brought up instantly no matter the price.

Did you actually expected it to be different from the other AMD cards released? Can you blame them? Everything is being brought up instantly no matter the price.
my post was from yesterday, i was trying to let everyone know the pricing before release day.

I got my email from Newegg, promising "great pricing" on 6700XTs. Silly me: I thought the "great pricing" comment was referencing consumers, not retailers. Gah.

Nearly 60% markup? (No, I didn't do the math. $479 MSRP vs. there up to $800.)

If only they had multiple cards for $479.

Screenshot_20210318-135331_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210318-135343_Chrome.jpg

Yeah...great. If only they were (wait for it...) AVAILABLE.
Since these were all in stock at the time of posting.
If you would have joined the shuffle and tried you may have got one.

Same. Sometimes the email is instant, sometimes it takes hours. My guess is some email addresses get put in some kind of secondary list? Maybe?
The 2nd list is the losers! A bunch of people including me didn't get it til today.

I entered the newegg shuffle for a 6700xt. Do they only email you if selected? Or do you still get an email even if you cannot buy a video card? There is no email in my inbox yet, but newegg did say when registering for the shuffle that this might not come until 10 PM PST (about 2 hours from now).

I entered the newegg shuffle for a 6700xt. Do they only email you if selected? Or do you still get an email even if you cannot buy a video card? There is no email in my inbox yet, but newegg did say when registering for the shuffle that this might not come until 10 PM PST (about 2 hours from now).
They usually email me to let me know I lost. I haven't received anything and it's 8:08 pm pacific time.

They usually email me to let me know I lost. I haven't received anything and it's 8:08 pm pacific time.

they had a huge reply window on this drop:

“We will email the results from 03/18/2021 02:00 PM to 10:00 PM PT (05:00 PM to 03/19/2021 01:00 AM ET).”

Back