Is It Worth Upgrading My GPU At This Point?

Not dead yet, boys, going to Microcenter tomorrow to take a "look" at the AMD 7700x and 32GB RAM combo for $399. ;)

As far as monitors go, looking at either SAMSUNG 28" Odyssey G70A 4K 144Hz OR Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2721D (1440P but 240Hz!!!)

Doing a lot of research to see which resolution is better at 27".

Currently using three, yes, three, HP LP2465 monitors (1920 x 1200 and only 60Hz) all bought from ebay at different times for like $50 each (including shipping). One has 12,782 hours, one has 6,079 hours, and one has 34,935 hours on it o_O

Last edited:
Not dead yet, boys, going to Microcenter tomorrow to take a "look" at the AMD 7700x and 32GB RAM combo for $399. ;)

As far as monitors go, looking at either SAMSUNG 28" Odyssey G70A 4K 144Hz OR Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2721D (1440P but 240Hz!!!)

Doing a lot of research to see which resolution is better at 27".

Currently using three, yes, three, HP LP2465 monitors (1920 x 1200 and only 60Hz). One has 12,782 hours, one has 6,079 hours, and one has 34,935 hours on it o_O
I had been using two HP LP247w monitors for a loooooooong time, one just died recently, replaced with an ASUS TN panel. The TN is just at OK level. I'm not sure any modern panels will satisfy my eyes like the older HPs. The Microcenter combo sounds temping.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
I had been using two HP LP247w monitors for a loooooooong time, one just died recently, replaced with an ASUS TN panel. The TN is just at OK level. I'm not sure any modern panels will satisfy my eyes like the older HPs. The Microcenter combo sounds temping.
Yeah, these old HP LP monitors are legendary, people who used them know what we are talking about. I don't know what it is about them but they are so easy on the eyes.

What state do you live in? I'll probably sell one or two once I upgrade. I won't have a need for three of them.

Doing a lot of research to see which resolution is better at 27

That will probably depend more on your eyesight, and desk setup.
I'm near sighted and my setup is suboptimal so 1440p at 150-170x scaling
Is where I am at to reduce eye strain.

Reactions: Hulk
like this
Got back from MC, was going to purchase the 7700x and 32GB Ram combo for $399 but they are all out of the 32GB ram sticks. Kind hard to believe they sold all of their 32GB ram sticks, everyone on here is saying how no one is buying 7700x or 7900x 32GB ram combos. (n)

Got back from MC, was going to purchase the 7700x and 32GB Ram combo for $399 but they are all out of the 32GB ram sticks. Kind hard to believe they sold all of their 32GB ram sticks, everyone on here is saying how no one is buying 7700x or 7900x 32GB ram combos. (n)

Assuming you were after a specific 32gb kit? (the one they've been giving away with the purchase of xxx.. i'm sure that contributes to the product shortage) 🤣

6700xt stutters on my i7 920 box @ 1080p. I use that pc as a remote box so I can game on a 55 inch tv on my couch. If I try to play any modern games on the box, it's got atrocious load times and it stutters.
I lucked up back then waiting and grab the i7-930/ Evga x58 3 way SLi, board and was a revision 1.2, Xeon was just drop in and no mod needed (rare as shit) for the board my X5660 6c/12t was doing around 4.5 with an AIO in triple channel is the only dam way to stay on x58 and it was running windows 10 and about the last the beast was seen doing 4.5 boost = http://www.3dmark.com/fs/19681543
Should probably upgrade that ancient CPU.
I click off a run with RX 6700 on driver 22 .10 .3 with Ryzen 5 5600x = http://www.3dmark.com/fs/28717893

Maybe you should just order online for pickup... almost every microcenter location shows the processor bundle in stock. funny that.

Will there be a difference? Yes. Is it worth it with that CPU and monitor? Probably not, but overall, it can have a lot to do with what you're playing. I upgraded my i5 4670k's R9 280x years ago to a 1070Ti and still got bad performance in any Frostbite game, so think Battlefield 4 and newer or something along those lines. GPU loading was, as I recall, in the 65%-75% range a lot of the time, meaning the CPU was holding it back, and that was with a card significantly less powerful than a 6700. That said, I had much better performance in games based on other engines, maybe those that were more single-thread dominant, but once I upgraded the CPU to a 3700x, I saw a substantial uplift across the board.

Really, this question depends a lot on your budget, but if the budget is tight you can get some heavily discounted AM4 parts and DDR4 RAM and build a decent set up. Going with something like a Ryzen 5600 with a half decent AM4 motherboard on clearance and some decent DDR4 RAM would provide a huge boost for relatively cheap. You might even get lucky with a decent deal on the used market. After that, wait until November 3rd and see what AMD has coming out, then decide what GPU you want to buy. The monitor is also something I would upgrade, unless you're just playing games like Civ where frames are less critical, in which case, who cares.

Just my opinion.

Back