Is it worth getting ESET NOD32 anti-virus over regular windows anti-virus?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Do you guys think it's worth dishing out the cash for NOD32, or is regular windows built in anti-virus do the same thing?

Do you guys think it's worth dishing out the cash for NOD32, or is regular windows built in anti-virus do the same thing?
I have had 8 years of experience using their stuff at work on a small set of 25 machines. I remember inheriting that shop and NOD would constantly crash Win2K machines, but XP,7,8,10 worked fine.

The initial cost is the highest, but once you have that, the extensions are much cheaper, especially if you get the long-term ones.

If you do work on this PC and depend on it, I'd get one.

If you have an image of your drive(s) in offline storage, don't mind re-imagining after an infection, use 2FA and have separate passwords for various services - the Windows one might be viable.

Obligatory funny gif, topical.

Bullshit_36.gif

Not worth it at all. Windows defender (built in) has top notch detection scores, is resource light, and doesn't have a high rate of false positives. It's also free.

EDIT: Regardless of anti-virus, you should always have backups and use unique passwords. You also should nuke the windows install with a fresh one if you get an infection. That is basic computer maintenance 101 :).

I use it on all of my machines. I also have it installed on all of my clients' machines as well. It's light and protects the machines.

Not worth it at all. Windows defender (built in) has top notch detection scores, is resource light, and doesn't have a high rate of false positives. It's also free.

EDIT: Regardless of anti-virus, you should always have backups and use unique passwords. You also should nuke the windows install with a fresh one if you get an infection. That is basic computer maintenance 101 :).
backups are fine as long as they aren't infected.

This. Most antivirus software is unnecessary if you’re not browsing like an idiot. Windows Defender is enough.

I use windows defender and malwarebytes-free version. No need to buy anything.

I use windows defender and malwarebytes-free version. No need to buy anything.
When I installed malwarebytes (paid version) it seems that windows disables windows defender... Did you have to do anything special to keep em both chooching?

When I installed malwarebytes (paid version) it seems that windows disables windows defender... Did you have to do anything special to keep em both chooching?
The paid version has active scanning and I think disables defender vs the free version that is manual. Not sure if there is a way to change it.

The paid version has active scanning and I think disables defender vs the free version that is manual. Not sure if there is a way to change it.
I noticed everytime I would turn on defender for periodic scanning, its like it gets toggled off.. I just hope that malwares scanner does as well of a job with it doing this...

I use it on all of my machines. I also have it installed on all of my clients' machines as well. It's light and protects the machines.
It protects it. until it doesnt.
This is the problem with most AV, even with newer detection methods, AV is still hovering around ..30% effective at most. 0-days, so many powershell methods to get past and disable defender,, most AV can be tricked and turned off pretty easily. Now having said that, something is far better than nothing..

For me, BitDefender...

Just go back into Windows Defender and turn it back on and both run together. That's how I've had it for a couple years now on Win 10 Pro.

Back