Is it time for an upgrade?

devonhiee

Limp Gawd
EDIT: Thinking about pulling the trigger on a used 3900x ($220 no tax) and a B550. Lets me upgrade in future to 5900x or 5950x. Thoughts?

EDIT 2: Just bought a recently purchased open box ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 Mini OC Edition on eBay for $530 before taxes. Basically paid $30 above what was selling at Micro Center ($499) and I got the receipt showing was purchased couple days ago. Good buy or shouldve gone with a 3070 at the least?

Edit 3: Just scored a 5950x New for $400!

I've been away from these forums for years but been recently thinking of upgrading so decided to ask here.

I use my PC from time to time, usually for video editing (Premiere) and also run python scripts for things like SFW deep fakes using Tecogan and super resolution programs with Tensorflow. Basically I do a lot of machine learning.

I also just got back into gaming and got Elden Ring and WWE 2K22. There are some other games that I am eyeing as well.

Surprisingly my PC can still play these games quite well IMO. I'm not gaming anywhere near 4K though but no lag. Many games I can run at High settings at 720p. Very impressed for a 10 year old system.

I dont run multiple monitors I just use my regular TCL 55" 4K UHD TV. But to be honest I find it very hard to distinguish picture qualities unless I see a side by side comparison.

I was thinking of just changing out the card to a Zotac 3070 Twin Eagle AC since it's dual slot 9 inches and should fit my Silver Stone case, which can fit 10" GPU. I can't find any other 3070 or 3080 that falls within the length requirements as most are around 12" and triple slot. I want to run things at max settings and get the most out of my games and speed up my editing as well. Or would a lower card be better due to the bottleneck of the CPU?

Is that a viable option or should I completely build a new PC? I have been thinking of going with a 5900x or 5950x CPU if I do build a new one due to budget.

I'm running:
Silver Stone Mini ITX Case
Windows 11 64 Bit
ASUS H97I-Plus Mini ITX Motherboard
I7 4770k LGA1150
16 GB Ram
250 GB SSD
1 TB SSD
EVGA GTX 960 Super AC 4 GB
Corsair AIO Watercool CPU

Thanks!

Last edited:
My old 2013 PC was like yours, i5-4670K and a 660 Ti. I added a 2060 in 2020 and it ran great.

My new 5600x build is faster, a batch of raw photos processes in 6 seconds instead of 15 seconds or something, but it’s not exactly life changing. I was more concerned about lifetime.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a used 3900x ($220) and a B550. Lets me upgrade in future to 5900x or 5950x. Thoughts?

The 5900x is on sale right now (also at BestBuy) for $399 which is an amazing price if you can swing it. Otherwise yes, AM4 is a great mature platform right now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you buy only a video card get one you can migrate to a future build, like a 3070.

Thats one of the dilemmas I was running into. I dont mind it not being the fastest but at the same time, I want to future proof. But to future proof I need to buy everything all over again. This is why I was dabbling with the idea of just getting the Zotac 3070 Twin Eagle OC since it is the only 3070 and up that I have found that will fit my case.
My old 2013 PC was like yours, i5-4670K and a 660 Ti. I added a 2060 in 2020 and it ran great.

My new 5600x build is faster, a batch of raw photos processes in 6 seconds instead of 15 seconds or something, but it’s not exactly life changing. I was more concerned about lifetime.
I did indeed see that. Also Amazon brought the 5950x to $535. I live in a state with tax so it will also add unnecessary costs to this build. With the retail drop in price I'd pick up the 5900x at $300. ATM I think its still quite high but I've been out of the scene for a long time.

The 5900x is on sale right now (also at BestBuy) for $399 which is an amazing price if you can swing it. Otherwise yes, AM4 is a great mature platform right now.
Thats the plan! Just not sure if I get the Zotac if that itself is a good investment for the future considering the price? Been seeing some 3080 TI on here going for almost $1000 which looks like a steal compared to online retailers. Any idea if warranty transfers with ownership? Is it strictly serial or need receipt?
If you buy only a video card get one you can migrate to a future build, like a 3070.

Thanks guys

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just bought a recently purchased open box ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 Mini OC Edition on eBay for $530 before taxes. Basically paid $30 above what was selling at Micro Center ($499) and I got the receipt showing was purchased couple days ago. Good buy or shouldve gone with a 3070 at the least?

Plan on using this with what I got for the time being and slowly getting on the Zen 3 platform. Maybe by next month the 5900x and 5950x will drop even lower. Hoping to source them used though, taxes piss me off.

Last edited:
4770k -> 5950x is a huge upgrade! You should get many years out of that platform even if it's at its end of life.

Back