Is it okay to stack the thermal pads? If yes how?

Pandemic

n00b
Hi,
I will be replacing various GPUs' and laptops' thermal pads and as you already might know, thickness of these pads vary from laptops to GPUs. I looked on various internet forums but couldn't actually find anything useful. Some say it is okay to stack and some say to put a little thermal paste between them. My intend was to buy only one 0.5mm sheet and stack them as it will be too expensive to buy 0.5mm 1mm 1.5mm 2mm sheets separately.

So what are your suggestions on this?

Hi,
I will be replacing various GPUs' and laptops' thermal pads and as you already might know, thickness of these pads vary from laptops to GPUs. I looked on various internet forums but couldn't actually find anything useful. Some say it is okay to stack and some say to put a little thermal paste between them. My intend was to buy only one 0.5mm sheet and stack them as it will be too expensive to buy 0.5mm 1mm 1.5mm 2mm sheets separately.

So what are your suggestions on this?
Stacking is okay, will reduce performance a little bit. Also on GPUs you will want the correct thickness. Having uneven/wrong pad sizes can cause the heatsink to not seat correctly and you can get higher temps than stock.

Back