is it normal for mini display port cable NOT to have Ferrite Choke

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't understand why the regular display port cable c/w ferrite choke on both end, whereas the mini display port doesn't have it

Just did a quick look and did not see any regular cables with a ferrite. Did yours come with something else? It may have been needed as part of certification.

I don't understand why the regular display port cable c/w ferrite choke on both end, whereas the mini display port doesn't have it
That's actually not all that common these days in my experience. None of the DP cables we get with monitors at work comes with chokes. I'm guessing that for the lengths the cables are, they aren't needed and/or worth it vs the bulk they introduce. The other shielding is sufficient.

all my display port cable comes from Viewsonic. All 6 ft., the display port regular c/w Ferrite choke, the mini display port does not.

meanwhile all the other DVI cable from another source all c/w ferrite choke

Most modern GPUs and displays have chokes built into their internal circuitry. The shorter and thinner the cable, the less you need a choke.

If you aren't having problems you should be fine without them. You can always try something like this.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4155
As for the devices on the PCB or even built into the connector, they will likely be for frequencies much higher than what is on the cable. That is where the difficulty will arise. All ferrites are not the same. What frequencies need suppressing and will you have the right ferrite for it. That is the reason for my original comment. When a product is sold with a cable, the get certified together.

that's good to know. I thought those guys are all the same

thanks for the information

Back