is I3-3750K to i7-7700K a useful upgrade ?

That it would be 8 threads total.
the added mhz of the 7700K would seem to bump it well ahead of the xeon in this case, and maxing out the possible boost is the point of this exercise.
good suggestion, that never entered my head, thank you.

plus the xeon is not on the mboard cvl.

you go to the mobo page, click support in the top right, then click the cpu/memeory support header.
yup, brain damage.
thank you

Well, I thought Zeons were for server motherboards anyway. Maybe going from 2 cores to 4 cores would help but if you're going to keep going with an old machine like that you may well make sure you have extra fans in case they fail. Or even buy a heatpipe heatsink for the CPU in case the fan fails.

Well, I thought Zeons were for server motherboards anyway. Maybe going from 2 cores to 4 cores would help but if you're going to keep going with an old machine like that you may well make sure you have extra fans in case they fail. Or even buy a heatpipe heatsink for the CPU in case the fan fails.

Depends on the motherboard. I have an asrock z87 that can run some haswell xeon's just fine.

you may well make sure you have extra fans in case they fail. Or even buy a heatpipe heatsink for the CPU in case the fan fails.
every fan used by this machine is a noctua, nf-A12x25 on cpu and vcard, I have enough spares on hand to replace both.
the 60mm, and 140mm industrial on the ssd and hdd stack respectively, I do not have direct replacements for.

the all copper 5 heatpipe cpu heatsink is tilted and ducted to its fan, allowing for at least some thermal convection through the dead fan directly to outside of the case.
although the outer shell of the case is not in use since there is no way to get the 4x 3.5" 14tb hdd stack inside it with adequate cooling, plus I just could not cut the front of the beautiful brushed aluminium Lian-Li itx case to fit the 200mm NF-A20 I bought for intake.

hg box.jpg

The v5/v6 Xeons aren't supported by 100/200 series desktop chipsets, they have to use the less popular C232 or C236 boards. This is why they're so cheap.

Sodding psychic is what I am.
My I3 machine just locked up, and now will not even get into the bios.
Implying to me that there is a CPU or motherboard failure.
Asus hates me, finding out how to reset the bios, or even where the bloody battery is, is a secret.
So to restore function, a 7700k swap or a b550+5600x seems likely to do the trick. At roughly the same cost .

No beep codes, fans come on and it just sits there.

Naturally on the 4th of July weekend.
Yes, I did laugh out loud.

I know this sounds far-fetched but if it's an old machine you could try taking out large amounts of dust to see if it makes a difference.

Sodding psychic is what I am.
My I3 machine just locked up, and now will not even get into the bios.
Implying to me that there is a CPU or motherboard failure.
Asus hates me, finding out how to reset the bios, or even where the bloody battery is, is a secret.
So to restore function, a 7700k swap or a b550+5600x seems likely to do the trick. At roughly the same cost .

No beep codes, fans come on and it just sits there.

Naturally on the 4th of July weekend.
Yes, I did laugh out loud.

Probably time for an upgrade. Lots of cheap options out there.

Probably time for an upgrade. Lots of cheap options out there.
Yes. The condition of wanting to possibly upgrade a working computer no longer applies.

Something major has broken.
Cpu and motherboard are the prime suspects. With powersupply as a contender.
Swapping a new 7700k if the cpu is it would suit, but is not worth buying to find out it is the motherboard.
Same with getting a 270 board if it's the cpu.

A 6 core reasonably fast cpu and an itx board that can use 3600ddr4 that would be happy with 450w psu,
Has me leaning toward team red,
But I am alternating and Intel is up for this build, emphasis on stolid reliability over raw power.

Intel Core i7-10700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.1 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W (BX8070110700K

Looks to be a suitable replacement that should last a while and give entirely adequate performance over the next few years.

A Noctua single tower cooler ducted to a single nf-a12x25 would make me happy.

ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming Z490 (WiFi 6) LGA 1200 (Intel® 10th Gen) Mini-ITX Gaming Motherboard 8+2 Power Stages, DDR4 4800,​

Is overkill but fits this setup, overlooking is not REQUIRED after all.

Any obvious silliness ?
A priority is speedy delivery so I can try to restore the system that was working very well for me.
Ideally just dropping the m.2 C drive in the new hardware will reboot to where I left off, only snappier.

Just a note to say those i7 can be 125 watts while the i5 can be 65 watts. In any case, the only AMD I might consider might be a 4600G because of the price, other than that, I read a few places that say Ryzen has a stutter issue in Windows.
As far as I know, the main difference between an i5-10400 and i5-11400 is you can use a PCIe4 video card with the 11000 series Rocket Lake as long as you use B560 motherboard or higher. Comet Lake will be PCIe3 (I think the difference in tests is like 10% in video games).

those i7 can be 125 watts while the i5 can be 65 watts.
Thanks, I am thinking the seasonic platinum 400 watt should be able to handle the 125w cpu with the 1050ti and no lighting, 4 hdds and 3 fans doesn't seem like too serious a load.
But I am not overly confident in my understanding.

Asus rog strix Z490i
I7-10700K
Noctua NH-U14s
On order, to be delivered 7/8 (friday)

If the 400w proves inadequate the 850w for the threadripper is just sitting there...

final answer to the Original Post Question =

NO, going to a i7 10700 from the i3 7350 does NOT provide any noticeable improvement to this system.
going from 2 to 8 cores with a multi generation advancement does nothing for my use case.
so a 2c to 4c in the same generation would not be worthwhile.
I called it right in the first place, the i3 was the correct choice.

additional answers
yes, the 400w powersupply is still adequate for this setup.

final answer to the Original Post Question =

NO, going to a i7 10700 from the i3 7350 does NOT provide any noticeable improvement to this system.
going from 2 to 8 cores with a multi generation advancement does nothing for my use case.
so a 2c to 4c in the same generation would not be worthwhile.
I called it right in the first place, the i3 was the correct choice.

additional answers
yes, the 400w powersupply is still adequate for this setup.

you need to game or encode videos to justify that multi-core upgrade - is windrows update not faster as well?

i could justify upgrading from core i3 3225 to ii5 3570k on my htpc because by 2019 I was CPU-limited in several titles

Back