Is Asus the only company that has swappable switches on their mice?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
In all my years of using computer mice, i've found that the clicked is invariably the first thing that fails.

I'm currently using a Logitech G700 and in the seven years i've had i had to replace the clickers twice. Everything still works. Hell, even the original eneloop battery is still hanging on (barely), but not the clickers.

Since i suck at using a solder and i had to rely on other people to repair my G700, i figured swappable switches would be a great solution. Except only Asus seems to have them, and i'm not entirely sold on any of mice in their line up, for one reason or another.

Not sure why other companies aren't implementing this. I take it's because they know the clicker is the first thing to fail and they hope people wil just throw away their mouse and buy another one. Or maybe they think people won't care about it.

I believe you can swap them on a Pwnage Ultra Custom as well. Might apply to the other designs that use the platform, such as Sharkoon Light 2 200, both of which I happen to have.

Usually when this question comes up elsewhere I see someone mention that Asus has a patent on the socket design - I haven't verified that myself, but they've been using it for quite some time and no one else has bothered, so its potentially true. Another consideration is most brands are targeting lowest weight possible, and the sockets would be a detriment to that.

Having a good solder iron and 63/37 rosin core solder is crucial to desoldering being a smooth process instead of pure misery. If you're dealing with lead-free solder, adding a bit of solder onto the joint can actually help the desoldering process. You'll also have to consider if you can remove the mouse feet without destroying them, otherwise you'll have to get a new set.

I'm kinda sure there might be an another company available with hot swappable switches. I know the older R.A.T mice could let you swap stuff like their proprietary fit sensors FWIW.

Back