Is a 2.4 C clock for clock better than a 2.4 A (Pressy)?

The 2.4A is comparable to the 2.4B in terms of performance. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

There should be a pretty big difference considering the Pressy has a 533FSB and the C has an 800FSB.

What would perform better?

1) 2400 Mobile Athlon @ 2.4-2.6 Ghz?

or

2) 2.4a 533 FSB @ 3.0-3.2 Ghz?

AirBornX said:
What would perform better?

1) 2400 Mobile Athlon @ 2.4-2.6 Ghz?

or

2) 2.4a 533 FSB @ 3.0-3.2 Ghz?

Most likely the Athlon, especially since the P4 would have restrained memory bandwidth compard to a C chip.

In what? The Athlon would do better in most games; the Pentium 4 would have an advantage in audio/video encoding and 3D rendering.

MemoryInAGarden said:
Most likely the Athlon, especially since the P4 would have restrained memory bandwidth compard to a C chip.
As demonstrated by the VIA PT800 chipset, memory bandwidth isn't nearly as important to real-world performance as most people make it out to be.

from what i hear, the 2.4a prescotts can overclock to 3.6 and above, and and 800fsb (3.6) id imagine the prescott is faster than a athlon xp at 2.6

3.6 GHz is possible using watercooling. Certainly, you wouldn't expect the 2.4A to reach 3.6 with the provided heatsink/fan unit. The question is, is watercooling worth it when you can buy a better processor that will reach these performance levels anyways?

i'm sure its possible to reach 3.6 without water cooling

You wanna cook me some eggs when you get there :p
I'd think 3.6 would be pretty much pushing it a tad bit to far with a 2.4A on stock cooling even if you lived in the northpole?
Unless i stand corrected>

@trapine said:
You wanna cook me some eggs when you get there :p
I'd think 3.6 would be pretty much pushing it a tad bit to far with a 2.4A on stock cooling even if you lived in the northpole?
Unless i stand corrected>

with an sp94 it shouldnt have a problem keeping it cool at 3.6 or maybe above

the 2.4a allows you to overclock while staying synced 1:1 with the ram at all times, you don't need any uber pc4000 ram either. dividers other than 1:1 seem like additional latencies to me. but it all comes down to what you use your box for. if hyperthreading can benefit you (ie do you have tray icons stretching out a mile long) then that should influence your decision a bit. the other way to look at it is what i previously mentioned, strictly an economical standpoint. if you have adequate cooling the prescott will most likely take off and have its way with any northwood.

Back