Is 450W Corsair CMPSU-450VX enough for Overclocked Build?

edo101

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I have an i7-930 Oc'd to 4Ghz with HT on along with a GTX 470 that I am repurposing for my dad and his video and audio editing needs. I have an old 450W CMPSU-450VX from 2010 that still running on his old AMD build. I am wondering if I need to buy a new PSU and at what rating or if the 450W will be enough. I do see that Amazon has a 650W Corsair Bronze on sale right now for $50 so that could be an option. Just wondering if it's necessary or not:

450WPSU.jpg

Thanks

Hi all, I have an i7-930 Oc'd to 4Ghz with HT on along with a GTX 470 that I am repurposing for my dad and his video and audio editing needs. I have an old 450W CMPSU-450VX from 2010 that still running on his old AMD build. I am wondering if I need to buy a new PSU and at what rating or if the 450W will be enough. I do see that Amazon has a 650W Corsair Bronze on sale right now for $50 so that could be an option. Just wondering if it's necessary or not:

View attachment 425422

Thanks
i wouldnt. min for the gpu is 550 and if you plan on oc'ing id go 600. so that 650 for $50 is probably a good idea.

i wouldnt. min for the gpu is 550 and if you plan on oc'ing id go 600. so that 650 for $50 is probably a good idea.
The GTX 470 won't be overclocked though? And rarely any game if at all. Just video and audio work

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Any reason to downgrade to 500W for this PSU: https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-cor...easonic-_-17-151-242-_-Product&quicklink=true
pendragon1 Ducrider748

It does have a 7 year warranty
To save a few bucks and lose 150w just to get 2 more years of warranty? I would say no. With my experience you will have a power supply fail in a few years or keep on going forever. The difference in warranty would not make my want to buy on over another. If I was to guess(this is a I think I remember seeing) the EVGA unit in question is made by Superflower. A well know very good brand of oem power supplies. They also have their own brand. The last 5 power supplies I have bought this year have been 2 EVGA 2 Corsair and 1 Superflower. Honestly was not impressed with the Corsair units and ended up returning one of them. The issue was no dedicated 8 pin gpu cables included. All three cables were piggy back 2 8 pin cables. Charge me more if I can get dedicated 8 pin gpu cables. Especially since it was $185 for a RM1000x.

To save a few bucks and lose 150w just to get 2 more years of warranty? I would say no. With my experience you will have a power supply fail in a few years or keep on going forever. The difference in warranty would not make my want to buy on over another. If I was to guess(this is a I think I remember seeing) the EVGA unit in question is made by Superflower. A well know very good brand of oem power supplies. They also have their own brand. The last 5 power supplies I have bought this year have been 2 EVGA 2 Corsair and 1 Superflower. Honestly was not impressed with the Corsair units and ended up returning one of them. The issue was no dedicated 8 pin gpu cables included. All three cables were piggy back 2 8 pin cables. Charge me more if I can get dedicated 8 pin gpu cables. Especially since it was $185 for a RM1000x.
What do you mean by piggy back 2 8 pin cables? Can you show me an example? I have a Corsair RM750 on my main rig and it has dedicated 8 pin cables...I think?
Another guy told me to go for a 550W EVGA for more:
"The 550w EVGA G3 is $55 and it is better than the G5. And it comes with a 7 year warranty. Not as much wattage. But it is a better buy."

And another called the EVGA I linked junk and told me to splurge and get a Superflower Leadex

Make sure you dig into who builds the units your looking at. As your finding, everyone has something to say about everything but not much concrete, beyond brand names generally. Seasonic obviously builds their own and are generally regarded as one of the best. The EVGA G3 oem is SuperFlower who are also highly regarded. The G5 is FSP, who are solid. AND the Bitfenix is CWT. CWT is usually highly regarded and build ALOT of units for ALOT of companies not all of which are great. So be sure to look for professional reviews(as you should with any psu). Keep an eye on newegg right now. There have been some really good sales on 550-750w units lately.

Edit-g5 correction. Amazon has a good deal on EVGA g3 550w for $55. Or Ebay has the 650w for $75. Id go for one of those over the Bitfenix.

Last edited:
What do you mean by piggy back 2 8 pin cables? Can you show me an example? I have a Corsair RM750 on my main rig and it has dedicated 8 pin cables...I think?
Another guy told me to go for a 550W EVGA for more:
"The 550w EVGA G3 is $55 and it is better than the G5. And it comes with a 7 year warranty. Not as much wattage. But it is a better buy."

And another called the EVGA I linked junk and told me to splurge and get a Superflower Leadex
This is a piggy back 8 pin.
https://www.amazon.com/JZYMOD-Corsa...3Q47K2W/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B093Q47K2W&psc=1

The Superflower Leadex is a very good psu.

Make sure you dig into who builds the units your looking at. As your finding, everyone has something to say about everything but not much concrete, beyond brand names generally. Seasonic obviously builds their own and are generally regarded as one of the best. The EVGA G3 oem is SuperFlower who are also highly regarded. The G5 is FSP, who are solid. AND the Bitfenix is CWT. CWT is usually highly regarded and build ALOT of units for ALOT of companies not all of which are great. So be sure to look for professional reviews(as you should with any psu). Keep an eye on newegg right now. There have been some really good sales on 550-750w units lately.

Edit-g5 correction. Amazon has a good deal on EVGA g3 550w for $55. Or Ebay has the 650w for $75. Id go for one of those over the Bitfenix.
itd agree if he was dropping $5k. you dont need all that for a basic system, track record and user reviews are good enough.

Another said this one was superior but after hgaving a modular PSU, I don;t know if I want to go back to non modular. Its just so much more cleaner and less annoying. Should I deal with the annoyance and get the BitFenix?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0776XSRJJ?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
pendragon1 Ducrider748
its fine too. youre kinda fussing over nothing, grab the first one.

itd agree if he was dropping $5k. you dont need all that for a basic system, track record and user reviews are good enough.

its fine too. youre kinda fussing over nothing, grab the first one.
I hear ya but If he's putting in the legwork with different forums and friends, I can only assume taking a couple of extra minutes to google a few reviews to find out whats what is worthwhile. Its always nice to find a diamond in the rough if its out there.

Back