Is 1440p going to be a 'dead end ' resolution?

DarkSideA8

Gawd
I did not realize that PS5 will not /does not support 1440p* until reading this article https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/console_monitors.htm.

Given that the console market is dominant over the PC in the content /gaming space, and that TVs (not monitors) are the most common screens (where 4k is ubiquitous) - is there a threat that software studios might not offer 1440p as a native resolution?

Does it look like 1440p might be a dodo in a few years?

*I know that Xbox does - but will that last?

Nope, nothing will change as far as PC games go. Typically the only games that don't support every resolution are crappy console ports which only run at one resolution, 720p or 1080p.
With a lot of console games using engines like UE4 that are built to work across multiple platforms even most console ports now days allow any resolution, it's just the crappy ones that don't.

I wouldn't buy a 1440p monitor to play console games though. Get 1080p or 4k.

is there a threat that software studios might not offer 1440p as a native resolution?
I am not sure exactly what you mean, High-DPI resolution on PC is already quite the jungle at least on Windows (see having the use some scaling), for example:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/high-screen-resolution-problems/td-p/6801959?page=1

For softwares (photoshop, blender, solidworks, Office, Browser) what happen on console is probably irrelevant and not even on the radar and I am not really sure if many software has a specially made for 1440p anything.

For games, 3D make supporting all resolution's natural by it's nature, there is no defined resolution and before the shader nothing in the 3D world is user screen resolution based, I am not sure exactly what the PS5 not supporting 1440p mean/involve, but it seem that most big PS5 game are rendered around that resolution at launch and about none are at 4K.

When 1440p became popular on PC it didn't made any sense on the console I would imagine.

I don’t see any way the PS5 not supporting 1440p (initially at least) will have an impact on developer support of the resolution on PC. It’s a very popular resolution on PC. The reason Sony probably didn’t include 1440p support is because 95%+ of PS5 systems will be played on 1080p or 4K TVs.

I think 4k will end up being the 'end game' resolution, with 1080p and 1440p being stopgap resolutions until we get there. Maybe my imagination is just limited, but I can't see there being a need for resolution higher than 4k (especially at 'normal' screen sizes), and the focus will be more performance oriented (read: above 60 fps with ray tracing and other eye candy enabled).

With that said, I think 1080p and 1440p still have quite a bit of life ahead of them and will remain popular.

As for Sony supporting 1440p on PS5 in the future - I think there's a chance. I don't remember Sony ever saying anything official about the lack of native 1440p output on PS4 Pro and the fact they acknowledged 1440p on PS5 "if the demand is there" is probably a sign that it will happen. Their official FAQ lit up with the 1440p requests, and I bet it's a trivial feature to put in for them.

I think 4k will end up being the 'end game' resolution, with 1080p and 1440p being stopgap resolutions until we get there. Maybe my imagination is just limited, but I can't see there being a need for resolution higher than 4k (especially at 'normal' screen sizes), and the focus will be more performance oriented (read: above 60 fps with ray tracing and other eye candy enabled).
Or it depend on your comma for the end game part.

VR is a way where it seem a good candidate to be almost certain to have higher than 4K resolution in 2050 (if it still exist and the world do not go into some spiral decline from series of pandemy, climate crisis and what not), the screen being as "big" as vision make it possible, maybe it will dynamically track where you actually have your fovea looking at and just have those 3-6 degree ultra high DPI and not the rest too.

They will probably want to sell 100 inch tv for the play station 12 (and play station 12 to the owner of 100 inch tv), it would be surprising if 5K and 6K does not become somewhat common in the next 25 year's specially that for productivity they will. And it is great marketing at the moment, almost no game are actually being played at 4K from those new console, still everywhere, Netflix is able to sell 4K option while spending less bandwidth than old regular bluray's. Maybe performance will be achieved with intelligent part of the image being high DPI and others not, dynamic full screen resolution, DSSL like affair with not many game actually being 5-6K ever in reality but they will do it, that what I imagine with the current direction.

It's probably something like a decade out in terms of affordability and the ability of GPUs to drive it in gaming; but I think 8k will happen on larger screen sizes eventually (possibly with 5/6k as an intermediate step). At arms length, text is noticably sharper on my 280dpi laptop screen than it is on my 140dpi 32" 4k one. While that high a DPI is deep into diminishing returns; so are the 300hz displays that're starting to come out.

Consoles don't matter, there's a new one every few years and it's a completely different market. 1440p has been an option on consumer displays for a decade at this point regardless of what videogame companies have been doing, and if gets phased out by anything it will be higher resolutions like 4K becoming easier to drive on cheaper hardware thanks to the constantly increasing processing power of desktop GPU's.

PS5 not supporting 1440p is simply idiocy from its developers. It means the system does not correctly query display EDID capabilities or just flat out ignores some of it because they did not want to implement scaling to work with 1440p. Their response seems to be "we wanted to focus on TV resolutions, if there is demand we will add 1440p" so I hope that happens sooner than later. But ultimately most people use consoles with a large TV, whether 1080p or 4K.

In general Sony just doesn't seem to know what they are doing when they don't even have a proper HDMI 2.1 TV to go with their brand new console. Apparently the different divisions never thought this would be a good avenue for working together to make both sell. Most seem to recommend LG OLEDs or Samsung QLEDs for pairing with PS5.

On the PC side 1440p is looking to supplant 1080p. 1080p has so far been the "e-sports res" with things like 240 Hz displays. This year and the next the latest 1440p 240 Hz displays seem to perform very close to those so there's less need to buy a 1080p screen if you play those games and have a fast GPU that can deliver that kind of framerates too. In a few years I expect we get a 360 Hz 1440p too.

You have to remember that the monitor industry is a slow moving behemoth. I bought the first G-Sync 1440p 144Hz display (ASUS PG278Q) in 2014 and the only thing that has changed in 6 years is that the same thing is now using an IPS panel instead of TN. While we have gotten things like 4K 144 Hz displays, those are still only available at 27" size. High refresh rate displays especially with HDR command massive premiums to the point that you can buy two LG CX OLEDs for the price of a top tier FALD LCD monitor. It's a completely ridiculous industry when their products are iterative yet they seem to sell the same shit every year.

Back