iPhone X and more recent iPhones with the use of screen protectors

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an iPhone Xs, max, whatever the larger size is. I was replacing the screen protector because it had a crack in it. I have a glass screen protector.

While I am doing it, I am wondering if it is even necessary or even worthwhile to do.

I keep doing it, because I always have. That is never the best idea. I have used iPhones since they came out.

I use them, but only because I usually pass down my phones to family members, friends when I upgrade. This way, at least the screen is in excellent condition.

It's worth it to me. The tempered glass screen protectors are only a few bucks, quick to apply, and are harder than the phone's glass screen so less susceptible to scratches. After they're on I completely forget its there. I tend to either pass down or sell my phones after I'm done with them, and I'm probably getting more for my phone with a perfect screen than what I spent on the screen protectors.

I’ve never used one before and I’ve had every single iPhone since the original. No need to for me but I’m careful with my stuff.

I do know people though that 100% need it because they are super careless

Haven’t used a screen protector on any iPhones. I just go with a case (usually, during quarantine I have had it off) so if I drop it it doesn’t land directly on glass. No issues no noticeable scratches or cracks.

No scratches is particularly of note, I’m an insulator, I work with fiberglass insulation a lot. It’s hard to be 100% clean and I do use my phone at work. The glass that is used in phones these days is extremely hard and resistant. To even see the minor scratches I have to look at the screen from an extreme angle with bright light.

Great advice. I have another screen protector that I already bought. I’ll use it (since the one I just did has bubbles).

After that. No more.

Well worth the watch if you're in the market for a new screen protector. Shipping is bit slow from flolab (Japan to the US). My order should be here by the end of the week.

If you have applecare+, I wouldn't worry too much about screen protector. You have two incidents of available coverage.
If you have no handset insurance whatsoever, a few bucks for a tempered glass screen protector and a few bucks more on a case sound like a good investment.

Reactions: Liver
like this
So..... since the xs max onward I’ve never used a protector. And I have had the 11 pro and 11 pro Max. The max has been my daily carried and is used heavily. I do not have a single scratch on the screen.

The protectors feel weird and realistically do nothing for 99.999% of materials that come in contact with your phone. I also have AppleCare+ and frankly I’m just not worried about it. I stopped using them years ago, and I’ve been happy with the results.

Reactions: Liver
like this
I made the thread.

I do have a screen protector on my phone currently, its the 10 max. Only reason is I bought a three pack and had a couple left when I made this thread. May as well use them was my thinking, I mean the money was already spent. All I had left was the frustration of putting it on "perfectly."

Going forward, I will no longer buy the screen protection.

I'll always put on tempered glass screen protectors. I keep the phones for a good chunk of time, and there is too much that can go wrong. I also usually do a decent amount of traveling throughout the year - making opportunities for things to get damaged even greater.
These days - tempered glass screen protectors have guides and installing or dropping a new one on only takes 5 minutes (depending on how fastidious I want to be with cleaning the display before application). Well worth the time so that when I do sell, I can get maximum value out of my phone.

I have to have a screen protector. I cannot stand staring at a scratch on the screen.

I've used Bodyguardz screen shields on my iPhones, Pixels and iPads for years. They're definitely not the most inexpensive, but are excellent and have a lifetime free replacement guarantee.

I have to have a screen protector. I cannot stand staring at a scratch on the screen.

With you there. I have only one phone ever (htc thunderbolt) that I went without a screen protector and for just a week to see how it would hold out and it got a scratch and it bothered me so much I bought a new phone a few months later. I am super careful with my phones I have never cracked a screen before but I will still use a screen protector and a case. I replace my screen protectors every 3-6 months depending on how much dirt builds up on the edges of the protector. I can't even remember the last time I scratched one or even cracked one.
In the end the tempered glass screen protectors can be had for $3-4 a piece and gives me piece of mind of never having to live with a scratch on the screen since I can always replace it.

Nope, not necessary.
I never use one and have had no issues on any of my iPhones with scratches.

I always have screen protectors on my devices, ipad pro, watch, phones, even surface laptops. I'm a clumsy guy and the few extra dollars for peace of mind is worth it imo.

My tempered glass screen protector recently cracked. It clearly either fell (which I'm pretty sure didn't happen) or was pressed against a relatively sharp object (I know this because the point of impact created a tiny ground pocket in the glass that essentially split the glass into 3 sections). That could've been my screen. Instead I just removed the screen protector, cleaned the display, and slapped another one on. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. $5 worth of tempered glass saved me from $150 of screen replacement.

I take pretty good care of my phones as I can't generally afford to replace them and also tend to use them for a long period of time. The longer you have something the more inevitable it becomes that damage will take place. I'll take my screen looking fresh and clean basically indefinitely, over having tons of micro-scratches and screen damage.

I use tempered glass protectors- usually the more expensive branded ones as they usually feel the closest to the glass screen itself. Cheap insurance and totally unobtrusive.

I am still using screen protection. Better safe than sorry! I prefer to spend a few pucks on a screen protector rather than have to get a new screen altogether (even if its covered by ensurance - still costs time and nerves). Screen protectors are so easy to use.
I really take good care of my phone. But you can never be sure that you won't drop it incidentally!

Back