Interesting find on MX1000

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Well, I've had an MX1000 for awhile. I used one for awhile. Then one day I noticed horrible lag with it. Couldn't figure out what it was. Tried different MX1000's and never could figure out what the deal was.

Fast forward to over six months later. I've been using an MX1000 on my test bench for convenience sake. Well, I was working on a problem with my chicks PC. I fired up UT2004 for some testing mainly, and I fully expected the precision and lag problems I had with the MX1000 before to rear their ugly heads. Well they didn't. The mouse felt perfect. No lag whatsoever. Surely it didn't quite have the precision of my G5 Lasermouse, but few mice do.

What the hell? Well I figured it out. About the time I noticed the problem I had upgraded my rig from a Abit AA8XE based Pentium 4, to the nForce 4 based A8N-SLi Deluxe. What the hell does this mean you might ask?

Some people claim great performance with the MX1000 and don't notice any lag. Well, I wasn't getting any on my GF's PC. So I conducted a test. Using on the MS drivers on Windows XP Professional 32bit edition on two rigs.

The one in my sig and this one:

Pentium 4 [email protected]
Abit AA8XE
Antec SmartPower 350
2x512MB Corsair XMS 2 Pro C4
Western Digital 120GB HDD.

While I understand this is subjective, I have been able to duplicate this very easily. Regaurdless of system configuration. The MX1000 lags on non-Intel chipsets. This is with USB BTW, I haven't trued PS/2 on the Intel system, but I noticed it sucked on the AMD rig.

So to sum up. The MX1000 gave me better, smoother and more accurate performance on the Intel chipset based boards. The problem still existed on the NF4 Intel Edition motherboard I tested.

The only Intel chipset board I had the same issue with was the HP XW4100 workstation at my office. It uses the E7505 chipset. Which isn't the same as the i925XE and i915P chipsets I've tested this mouse on. But all three nForce 4 variants it did. nForce 4 Intel Edition machine (Abit NI8-SLI) and the nForce Professional 2250 (Tyan K8WE) as well as the nForce 4 SLi (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe).

I thought this extemely odd and postworthy. As a note, I know someone who uses the MX1000 daily and doesn't have this problem. Or at least doesn't notice it. His system has an Intel chipset on the motherboard as well.

My theory on this, is that the AMD based solutions somehow differ in their USB implementation. Not sure to what degree, obviously it can't be too much deviation as it works the same for just about any device.

That is all.

Arkanian said:
Have you tried Logitech's Drivers and software?

Every version since the day it was released. EVERY version. I've even tried the 64bit version, changing the report rate of the PS/2 ports you name it, I've probably tried it.

The thing is, it works PERFECTLY on the Intel machine. Not on any of the AMD based rigs or the Intel machine with the NF4 Intel Edition chipset. The only thing that throws my theory is the HP machine to a degree. Although who knows how that HP was built. The USB port I am pluggin it into might not even be integrated into the chipset. It could just be integrated into the board, but not be part of the chipset.

Works perfectly on my system. Has for 6 months. The King Kong demo is the only thing that is screwy, but that is with any mouse I plug in.

LynxFX said:
Works perfectly on my system. Has for 6 months. The King Kong demo is the only thing that is screwy, but that is with any mouse I plug in.

Well, the performance seems to vary from mouse to mouse to a degree. The first MX1000 I had, could be picked up and still track from farther distances than any other MX1000 I've seen. This newer one was better in the accuracy department than the last one though. Some have the sleep mode lag, and others don't have it nearly as badly.

It also may be that some people don't notice it. A friend of mine uses an MX700 for gaming and I can't understand how he can deal with it. I feel the lag really badly. Even though he's using an Intel based rig. Not saying my theory is solid. But I've definately been able to duplicate these results easily. Funny how I've had the problem only on non-Intel chipset based motherboards. AMD A64/Opteron or Pentium 4.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Every version since the day it was released. EVERY version. I've even tried the 64bit version, changing the report rate of the PS/2 ports you name it, I've probably tried it.
Have you tried NOT using the logitech drivers? Mine works awesome on my AMD system with no drivers installed.

My MX1000 works fine on both my 2 1/2 year old laptop, and my DFI nF4. I have even tried specificially to replicate any type of lag such as sleep mode, or picking the mouse up, and I dont get any of it.

diehard said:
Have you tried NOT using the logitech drivers? Mine works awesome on my AMD system with no drivers installed.

Yep. No go.It's been a worthless lagging pile of crap on all motherboards I've tried except the Abit AA8XE. (Not the Fatal1ty) As I've said, I may be more sensitive to the lag then most.

But on the i925XE based machine, I encountered smooth mouse movements and no lag. No drivers installed for the mouse either.

Never had an issue with my MX1000 on my AMD based A7N8X-Deluxe

On my old intel system it was fine. Than I built a new AMD system and had a lot of problems after I installed the logitech drivers. So I started doing some digging around and foind out that the MX 1000 did in fact have problems. Theire was a big receiver problem with the early releases. If you call Logitech and they see a certain number on the receiver they will just send you out a new receiver.

Me I went out and got the Razer Diamond boomslang. Wow is that mouse smooth. I use to run them when they first came out. They were awsome but very prone to breaking. Really glad the company came back and been hearing nothing but goof reviews theu far.

All a matter of taste really even when the MX 100 was working fine it just doesnt feel as good as the boomslang does for me. Really a matter of taste I suppose.

I dont have an MX1000 but I noticed you said you raised your PS2 rate, so I'm assuming your using a USB to PS2 adapter? If thats the case, you ever tried using a USB port?

inotocracy said:
I dont have an MX1000 but I noticed you said you raised your PS2 rate, so I'm assuming your using a USB to PS2 adapter? If thats the case, you ever tried using a USB port?

Oh yeah, I've tried it on PS/2 and USB. Some people reported better results after raising the report rate on the PS/2 port. Some reported success with the mouse using the PS/2 port instead of USB. I've tried everything I've ever found on the internet about making the MX1000 work right. Notice on the G5 they raised the USB report rate to the max USB 2.0 supports.

The only place it's worked is on the i925XE based AA8XE system my GF has. It also worked on another machine I used to have using the Intel D915PBL. So out of all the machines I've tried it on, only the Intel chipset based computers worked right.

Ive tried on countless occassions to recreate the problems people have with their mx1000's to no avail. I have absolutely no complaints about mine, its been a delight.

i plug mine in through ps/2 and it works just fine, maybe its just a bad mouse? try rma'ing it through logitech and see if that helps

Sir-Fragalot said:
Oh yeah, I've tried it on PS/2 and USB. Some people reported better results after raising the report rate on the PS/2 port. Some reported success with the mouse using the PS/2 port instead of USB. I've tried everything I've ever found on the internet about making the MX1000 work right. Notice on the G5 they raised the USB report rate to the max USB 2.0 supports.

The only place it's worked is on the i925XE based AA8XE system my GF has. It also worked on another machine I used to have using the Intel D915PBL. So out of all the machines I've tried it on, only the Intel chipset based computers worked right.

Have you tried contacting Logitech? You probably have a faulty reciever, I doubt it has anything to do with the chipset. Also, the report rate on the G5 was not raised to decrease lagging. They raised the report rate because they could, and because Razer was doing so.

Erasmus354 said:
Have you tried contacting Logitech? You probably have a faulty reciever, I doubt it has anything to do with the chipset. Also, the report rate on the G5 was not raised to decrease lagging. They raised the report rate because they could, and because Razer was doing so.

Out of three mice that I've tried?

I just think I am more sensitive to the MX1000's performance than most. I started this thread (not for support reasons, I've given up on them. I have a G5 now.) because I wanted to share my experience about it working on Intel chipsets and not on others. I was curious what others have experience.

Something to note is that everyone I know that uses these mice and are happy with them all have Intel based PC's.

Wonder why Razer mice have no problems with either chipset mobos, though?

Indeed, my Copperhead at home is running on an *ATI* chipset mobo (and gods only know all the compatibility problems THAT thing has!) at 1000hz report rate, happy as a clam. (And I'm not one of those "don't notice the lag" people - I can't STAND wireless mice for how laggy they are.)

dderidex said:
Wonder why Razer mice have no problems with either chipset mobos, though?

Indeed, my Copperhead at home is running on an *ATI* chipset mobo (and gods only know all the compatibility problems THAT thing has!) at 1000hz report rate, happy as a clam. (And I'm not one of those "don't notice the lag" people - I can't STAND wireless mice for how laggy they are.)

Same reason my G5 and other MX series mice don't. I think it's the way the MX1000's built. Could be firmware or something. I did read that MX1000's from certain batches are the ones to avoid.

i got a mx1000 using usb and i love it it dont lag coming out of sleep or any thing

thax said:
i got a mx1000 using usb and i love it it dont lag coming out of sleep or any thing

It wasn't lag comming out of sleep I would get. I got the lag all the time. The sleep issue was the least of my problems with the MX1000 mice.

This sort of thing is exactly why I hate PC's. What an obscure issue. Kudos to you for figuring that one out.

slowbiz said:
This sort of thing is exactly why I hate PC's. What an obscure issue. Kudos to you for figuring that one out.

Not sure that it's entirely "figured out". But I have been able to reproduce consistant results. At least with mice that have the problem. As I understand it some of them work ok.

Back