Intel's 8th Generation Core Family - Coffee Lake (LGA 1151, 6C/12T)

Where do you expect Core i7-8700K's Turbo to land?

• 3.8/3.9 GHz

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0/4.1 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.2/4.3 GHz

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • 4.4/4.5 GHz

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • 4.6/4.7 GHz

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
a 4ghz 2700X scores ~2100 so it is probable that the all core turbo was 4.2ghz give or take

15241006322z6uo19egw_4_4.png

Dayman so if 8 core coming out and its 9900k then thats whiskeylake, would that make it 14nm+++ or just 14nm++?

Since there will be a 9700k as well, it will be either 14nm++ with architecture improvements (basically Icelake on 14++ as ICL will be 10nm+ with architecture improvements) AND/OR 14+++.

Most likely it is the former as the rumored 14+++ Whiskey Lake architecture is now just an ultra low power 14++ chip.

Since there will be a 9700k as well...

Any chance that the 9000 series CPUs will just be the 8000 series with the hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown Intel promised by year's end?

Cannot help but feel a 9700K is going to open a wound for anyone that splashed out for a 8086K, and then pour salt in it given in theory its going to need to be better than a 8700K for there to be any point, and not really any room to slot another SKU between the two.

Any chance that the 9000 series CPUs will just be the 8000 series with the hardware fixes for Spectre and Meltdown Intel promised by year's end?

Cannot help but feel a 9700K is going to open a wound for anyone that splashed out for a 8086K, and then pour salt in it given in theory its going to need to be better than a 8700K for there to be any point, and not really any room to slot another SKU between the two.

Not any more than any other new cpu launch does for prev gen buyers. The 8086 is no different, and actually intel’s positioning as a limited item (binned) makes it clear its not a rank and file perf/$ part - just current star.

Since there will be a 9700k as well, it will be either 14nm++ with architecture improvements (basically Icelake on 14++ as ICL will be 10nm+ with architecture improvements) AND/OR 14+++.

Most likely it is the former as the rumored 14+++ Whiskey Lake architecture is now just an ultra low power 14++ chip.

i dont see how it can be ultra low power. if 14+++ does exist wouldnt it be using more power? i mean look at KBL vs SKL which KBL uses more power, basically less voltage but more current so that it can clock higher.

I was saying that 14nm+++ was a rumor and now Whiskey Lake is just a different codename that is used for the low power stuff, from what I read. Sort of like Amber Lake.

When rumors of Whiskey Lake first arrived, it was thought to be the next desktop replacement as it was clear that 10nm+ was being delayed in ICL, and CNL (10nm) was thought to be mobile only.

Honestly, everyone is just as confused as they were 6 months ago.

Dayman so if 8 core coming out and its 9900k then thats whiskeylake, would that make it 14nm+++ or just 14nm++?
AFAIK Whiskey Lake is mobile (U Series) platform only, based on 14++, Intel has yet to reveal their next gen Desktop Core naming scheme

AFAIK Whiskey Lake is mobile (U Series) platform only, based on 14++, Intel has yet to reveal their next gen Desktop Core naming scheme

if its 8000 series then prob 14nm++. like say, 8900k. if its 9 gen then small chance of it being 14nm+++.

no clue, it should be out within 3-4 months from now tho. hopefully within next 3 months.

Since the 8c CPU isn't on the Micro code fix list, it is possible it has the in die/in silicon mitigations for Spectre/Meltdown

it'd make sense actually because intel didnt have 8c ring bus chip for CFL or SKL-X for that matter. it'd make sense if its made recently so it'll include the security fixes, which wont be on that list.

still tho, they dont talk about release date, intel trying hard to milk that 6 core for all its worth of remaining few months before 8 core cutting in on its sales.

Late to the party, but the new Xeon 3 gets a great review from Anandtech:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13526/intel-xeon-e-review-e2186g-and-more-tested

Surprised to see pricing and performance more or less on par with Ryzen; the Xeons get the benefit of onboard GPUs as well as fitting into the C246 boards that typically come with management features (IPMI etc.). ECC support is perhaps more robust, depending on BIOS of the board used for Ryzen.

[on another note, C246 supports i3's with ECC- which would make great inexpensive compact fileservers, as you can get a four-core i3 pretty cheap, and supposing there are ITX C246 boards on the way...]

Surprised to see pricing and performance more or less on par with Ryzen; the Xeons get the benefit of onboard GPUs as well as fitting into the C246 boards that typically come with management features (IPMI etc.). ECC support is perhaps more robust, depending on BIOS of the board used for Ryzen.

[on another note, C246 supports i3's with ECC- which would make great inexpensive compact fileservers, as you can get a four-core i3 pretty cheap, and supposing there are ITX C246 boards on the way...]

These chips really only competes with Intels own 8th gen. There is alot to trade off for ecc support.

That said, the 2176G looks to be a gem. It seems to match the 8700k in all of the benchmarks. It would be great with a mini ITX C246.

I'd think that they more or less compete with the 'Ryzen Pro' line, if that ever came out?

Both the 1st gen and 2nd gen Ryzen Pro have been OEM only, unfortunately.

We can continue our discussion fronm the other thread here so Kyle isnt watching. Performance is not the end all of what people want. Why not just have a 7820x run at 4.7 ghz with a default motherboard overclock? In most cases it would be perfectly stable... with enough cooling.

Both the 1st gen and 2nd gen Ryzen Pro have been OEM only, unfortunately.

That's unfortunate- I was looking at the 'G' models, which have to be 'Pro' to support ECC, in order to pair them with an ITX board for the same purpose- but not only are the CPUs not available, the motherboards that are are universally crappy for a NAS. Further, right now I'm using a 7600K that's perfectly happy at 4.5GHz- it's missing ECC and board-level remote management off the 'dream sheet'.

We can continue our discussion fronm the other thread here so Kyle isnt watching. Performance is not the end all of what people want. Why not just have a 7820x run at 4.7 ghz with a default motherboard overclock? In most cases it would be perfectly stable... with enough cooling.

Since these are all essentially Skylake, I'll let it fly- consider ultrabooks. They've had i5's that outbench i7's in the same chassis recently due to tuning (probably), since TDP is extremely limited. The SKU generally matters very little and especially so with these where both the i5 and i7 are four-core eight-thread parts. Give them more TDP, and they scream like their desktop counterparts.

To me, that's what I'm looking at here- not limitation by TDP rating, but allowing the CPU to run up to the cooling limit, assuming that it doesn't also bust the power limit set by the board.

That's why I'm not really interested if the desktop board makers push a little bit; the CPUs are unlocked and the performance overhead in terms of power supply and heat is there. Using it as a default benefits the most users without doing damage- if the power draw or heat is too much, the system throttles. If not, wheee!

I'll also submit that they'd do this with AMD CPUs too. Remember that board makers aren't competing against AMD or Intel, but each other- if one board consistently runs CPUs faster but still stably, that's a selling point. For the K- CPUs, sometimes that's a selling point in and of itself: they have higher burst clocks and burst there more often. The same can be said for AMD's X CPUs.

These chips really only competes with Intels own 8th gen. There is alot to trade off for ecc support.
If you're the target audience for these Xeons, it simply doesn't matter how is compares to a desktop chip. I do wish Intel would offer ECC on the desktop though.

Quad core 8th gen xeon here.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13971/the-xeon-entry-cpu-review-e-2174g-e-2134-e-2104g/21

This is the only way to get a 4/8 in 14nm++. Compared to the 6 core parts, which were not much more than the consumer versions these are a poor value. The 6/6 part is actually cheaper when comparing iGPU models and the 6/12 is only slightly more.

These are indeed CFL and not CFL(R) so there could be an e-22xx lineup coming out with 8 core parts and soldered IHS. No word yet, though.

My 8700K delid just turned 4 years old and my temps are still the same as far as I can tell.
33C idle (blank desktop), low 60's in AC Origins, mid 60's Prime95. The same 3 tests I used the day I finished delidding.

If there's any change it's 1 or 2 degrees, margin of error I guess. Aside from a few GPU swaps my build is untouched.
LM is Conductonaut, paste is Kryonaut.

My 8700K delid just turned 4 years old and my temps are still the same as far as I can tell.
33C idle (blank desktop), low 60's in AC Origins, mid 60's Prime95. The same 3 tests I used the day I finished delidding.

If there's any change it's 1 or 2 degrees, margin of error I guess. Aside from a few GPU swaps my build is untouched.
Thanks for the update 🙏 always nice to get some follow up on these old threads.

I just swapped out the 8700K I've had since launch for a 9900K. I never had a single issue with the 8700K. It chewed up games without a hiccup for years and I also had it paired with a Noctua D15. Completely stock my system was basically silent except for GPU fans with temps never exceeding the mid 70s. It's a shame the microcode patches tamed enthusiasm for an otherwise excellent platform.

I'm hoping the 9900K will carry me for a few more years before DDR5 and PCIE 5.0 mature and it makes sense to start completely over on a new platform.

Last edited:
Back