Intel to intrduce Model rating: killing the megahurtz myth

Ah, yes, the asynchronous chip. Read about it a year ago. You know it's just like the light processor (one that uses light) and the nanotube one. And then the quantum processor (supposed to functino in base 3), the spintronic processor (supposed to functino in decimal), etc. Do we actually have any of them? No, but some look more promising than others.

Take the nanotube. A carbon nanotube is a superconductor. Electron travels inside bouncing off the electrons adjacent to the atoms that line the wall of the tube. Because of this, it's a superconductor at room temperature. Therefore, when current passes through it there is no resistance, or heat. It could be a semiconductor with small modifications, and remains almost superconductive, or almost completely resistant (depending on the directino of the current).

Or take the light processor. A completely retarded idea. While everything inside goes at the speed of light (speed of light in crystal, not vacuum), you can't make every single component functin on optical signals. At some point, you'd have electronic sensors reading where there is light, and where there isn't, and that's where you lose 99% of the chip's potential.

PS: the translation on the article is so bad, i honestly don't even know what the article is about.

Originally posted by M4d-K10wN
PS: the translation on the article is so bad, i honestly don't even know what the article is about.

My thoughts exactly, it was probably translated through a website, those dont usually do too great a job.

Originally posted by streetkid
My thoughts exactly, it was probably translated through a website, those dont usually do too great a job.

Gibberishfish. Oops I mean Babelfish

Heh the original Japanese makes more sense.

[M4d-K10wN]
> And then the quantum processor (supposed to functino in base 3)

No.

> the spintronic processor (supposed to functino in decimal)

No.

> A carbon nanotube is a superconductor

No.

> it's a superconductor at room temperature

HELL no.

> Or take the light processor. A completely retarded idea.

No.

That is SURELY one of the most HILARIOUS translations I've ever seen.

> At some point, you'd have electronic sensors reading where there is light, and where there isn't, and that's where you lose 99% of the chip's potential.

lol!

and what is a spintronic processor?
I've heard of spintronic transistors, but, uhm, yeah.

Maybe AMD should now adopt Intel's model number scheme. For example, lets say Intel makes the 3.4 GHz Prescott a model 540. AMD could match that with the 2.4 GHz A64 (3400+) model 540. AMD could also keep price parity along model numbers for better ASPs.

Or AMD could play it's model number against Intel, since 3400+ looks more like megahertz than Intel's new modeling scheme, thus turning the tables on Intel.

Thoughts?

"> it's a superconductor at room temperature

HELL no." - STL

Actually, didn't some scientists in Australia achieve a room-temperature superconductor using oxygen-doped carbon (basically, diamond with some oxygen impurities), and a specific applied voltage? Read about that a couple months ago, and it was huge news. Its a major breakthrough for next-gen superconductive cpu's. (I'm not saying that I have any clue where M4d-K10wN post came from. But the concept of a room-temperature cpu isn't that far fetched.)

> Actually, didn't some scientists in Australia achieve a
> room-temperature superconductor

No, or else I'd have heard about it.

> Read about that a couple months ago, and it was huge news.

Link, please.

Oh, I remember that. I suspect that guy is full of bullshit, but you never know.

I don't know man. I read his paper, and it seemed pretty solid. He layed out the process for anyone to test, and didn't hide anything or hold back. I think the scientific community doesn't want to give him credit because others want to be the first to discover a room-temp superconductor. I don't have the original article anymore, though....don't know what happened to my bookmark.

Originally posted by Jon Rista
I don't know man. I read his paper, and it seemed pretty solid. He layed out the process for anyone to test, and didn't hide anything or hold back. I think the scientific community doesn't want to give him credit because others want to be the first to discover a room-temp superconductor. I don't have the original article anymore, though....don't know what happened to my bookmark.
the grain of salt just got cut in half.

have a cold fusion powered reactor that powers my home. Its carbon nanatube based logic curcuits are mounted on a dead flea I call Herb

I'm sure if there's anything to the n-type diamond "superconduction" we'll be seeing it again in the near future. Synthetic diamond production for ornamental gem purposes has been underway for a while, driving the cost of once incredibly rare yellow diamonds down dramatically.
The semiconductor industry will eventually adopt diamond as the material of choice as soon as the vapor-phase deposition technique can be perfected on a really large scale. Diamond has heat conduction characteristics that silicon can only dream of.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread and the newest rumor over here. Hopefully we'll really be seeing Pentium M desktop chips so that we can all enjoy high performance (by way of high IPC) and low wattage/low noise operation.

Back