intel NUC6i7KYK overheat and occasional fan grinding sound?

markm75

Gawd
I have the canyon intel NUC6i7KYK nuc, seems lately when the cpu hits like 30% (say on a boot up after logging in), it will hit 90-96C for some reason. I've been monitoring fan speeds, seems to be 1000 to 3000 on average, it does this even if i do hear the grinding sound that sometimes comes from the unit (fan).

Could the fan just be "bad", though honestly after cracking it open, it doesnt look odd in any way? I thought about replacing it, but its a $45 gamble.

I think i read elsewhere maybe there are some bios settings i should modify, though i cant say this has always been an issue.

Thanks in advance

$40 for a generic laptop cooling fan is ridiculous, the only reason sellers charge that much is because they know they can get away with it.

If you search for generic laptop cooling fans, they're a LOT cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...t=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=laptop+fan

Trouble is finding one that will fit. If you get the measurements of your fan, you can find something close that will probably work fine. The only snag would be the connector, but that's not hard to chop from the old fan and graft on to the new fan.

The grinding noise you hear is probably the bearing failing, which won't be obvious with a visual inspection. You'll have to rotate the blower by hand to feel for grittiness, resistance or slop. If the grinding comes and goes, the bearing could have burned up all of the grease, or is just wallowing around in a worn out bearing sleeve. It would explain why the CPU is running so hot, when the fan is grinding, it usually slows way down and won't provide as much airflow over the heatsink.

Another issue that can cause overheating is if the heatsink is blocked on the blower side, which is a very common problem. The blower constantly sucks dust and hair up and debris will build up on the face of the heatsink. It doesn't take long for the entire heatsink to become blocked and restrict airflow. If you blow hard through the exhaust while the machine is off, you'll sometimes get a cloud of dust coming out the air intake, which is a sign it needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back