Intel misses Q4 badly, Q1 guidance is abysmal

But seriously outside the enthusiasts or professional workspace, any PC capable of using an M.2 for the OS is more than fine for most consumers. Email, Netflix, Facebook, the odd game of Solitaire or Sudoku and mostly Amazon shopping. It’s all they get used for.
^^ THIS ^^

This is why Intel's consumer business is retracting. Our computational capabilities have increased 10-fold, but the general population's computational needs haven't increased in a decade. This makes for super slow upgrade cycles. On top of that, 98% of the screen time that used to be spent on computers is now spent on phones - a market that Intel isn't really in and AMD is a million miles away from entering.

You can only fault Intel so much here... it's the one-two-three combo of the pandemic recovery (demand for remote work PCs is dropping), a rough economy and "good enough" computing. People already have the computers they want, and if they don't they'd rather skate by on an existing machine than buy one they can't really afford. AMD won't escape this either.

I'm curious to see what Apple's results are like next week. It has managed to buck trends to some degree, and I could see it outperforming Windows PC vendors still... but it may be a case of having the "least terrible" shipment drop than anything. I'm sure it really wishes the MacBook Pro and Mac mini updates had been ready for the fall.

I've been transcoding movies from x265 to 264 for a week on a 3930k. :rolleyes:

Don't see AMD sitting on anything. They got caught by Intel big-little core counts on the consumer desktop but we will see 32c/64t zen5 early next year. Meanwhile Intel is still behind Epyc as it's core counts increase.

All of that Datacenter share loss has only two places to go. 1) Native CPU ie Apple M, AWS Graviton or 2) AMD

The Native custom cpu market is still very small compared to AMD's share. Not many companies can afford the resources for their own custom cpus. So yeah, AMD is literally eating intel's lunch on the Datacenter side. Performance, core counts, efficiency and total cost of ownership all go to Epyc.

Fuck the average consumer, they don't even know what a core is. They will buy whatever is in front of them in their favorite color.
Intel can fade away whenever. They haven't contributed anything meaningful to the semiconductor industry in 20 years. Even x86-64 is AMD's creation and Core was them going back into their 1990s bag of goodies for a new trick.

And once Intel's process lead fell behind, their only meaningful advantage was permanently lost. They will never catch up to TSMC and Samsung again.

They're also a detestable company morally. If Microsoft had tried to get away with even half of the backroom deals and OEM bullying that Intel has succeeded with, the DoJ would have broken them up in the 90s - or since. But hardware seems to be on a different playing field than software for some reason.

A bit surprised by the outlook. Product-wise they are in a better spot than a year ago.

They're also a detestable company morally. If Microsoft had tried to get away with even half of the backroom deals and OEM bullying that Intel has succeeded with, the DoJ would have broken them up in the 90s - or since. But hardware seems to be on a different playing field than software for some reason.
This is one reason why it's amusing to see folks rail against Apple... and promptly argue we should chain ourselves to a PC market dominated by Intel and Microsoft. This isn't even to rag on Intel and Microsoft — it's just to point out that people frequently have willful blindness on corporate ethics when a company makes a product they like (and yes, that includes Apple).

AMD is the only company I have ever seen in tech who consistently lost money (net), marketshare, and revenue but somehow stayed in business. Honestly, I am kind of impressed.
I've been saying this for decades. I remember people predicting AMD's death during the Bulldozer fiasco. I always said: "Never underestimate AMD's ability to stay in business while losing money."

AMD is the only company I have ever seen in tech who consistently lost money (net), marketshare, and revenue but somehow stayed in business. Honestly, I am kind of impressed.
Nothing to be impressed about. You just described roughly 80% of companies on the stock market. The only reason they are able to keep operating is thanks to credit and being able to barely service that credit. The higher borrowing rate is finally starting to shake out the losers and the only way to survive is to cut back on the highest operating expense, labor.

Nothing to be impressed about. You just described roughly 80% of companies on the stock market. The only reason they are able to keep operating is thanks to credit and being able to barely service that credit. The higher borrowing rate is finally starting to shake out the losers and the only way to survive is to cut back on the highest operating expense, labor.
Debt and losing money are two different things.

Su runs a tight ship and AMDs balance sheet is actually much better than Intels. With Intel on it's third CEO in four years, Intel has existential issues. AMD is facing cyclical ones. Guess which is easier to fix when you're not burdened with fabs?

I'm watching Gelsinger on CNBC blame Intels bad performance on cyclical right now. He is so full of it. Remember when INTC was actually worth more than AMD? Heh heh Huge dividend expenses too, big talk of INTC cutting that soon.

^^ THIS ^^

This is why Intel's consumer business is retracting. Our computational capabilities have increased 10-fold, but the general population's computational needs haven't increased in a decade. This makes for super slow upgrade cycles. On top of that, 98% of the screen time that used to be spent on computers is now spent on phones - a market that Intel isn't really in and AMD is a million miles away from entering.
The PC’s biggest competitor right now is the iPad. Because for the overwhelming population of the planet if it’s new enough to install the Disney+ app it can meet their needs for just about everything else they do.

Honestly, I don't know. Although I believe the China licensing IP ran into an issue IIRC.
Nope they still make those Bulldozer clones, and lots of them. There were articles from Mid last year about Russia wanting to start buying them too but Zhaoxin, the company that makes them stated they are for Chinas use only and they have no intention to sell to other countries.

Last edited:
You can only fault Intel so much here... it's the one-two-three combo of the pandemic recovery (demand for remote work PCs is dropping), a rough economy and "good enough" computing. People already have the computers they want, and if they don't they'd rather skate by on an existing machine than buy one they can't really afford. AMD won't escape this either.

I'm curious to see what Apple's results are like next week. It has managed to buck trends to some degree, and I could see it outperforming Windows PC vendors still... but it may be a case of having the "least terrible" shipment drop than anything. I'm sure it really wishes the MacBook Pro and Mac mini updates had been ready for the fall.
My Apple rep has let me know any ETA he could give me on the new M2 MacMini’s would be a guess at best as it’s selling fast.

My Apple rep has let me know any ETA he could give me on the new M2 MacMini’s would be a guess at best as it’s selling fast.

Yep...Apple is gaining market share. And it's not just the raw numbers, they are taking the most profitable sales.

I'd be cautious on calling the Mac mini a runaway hit as it's still in stock at Apple's online store, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much more popular than it has been. Suddenly it's either more affordable or actually viable for demanding tasks.

I'd be cautious on calling the Mac mini a runaway hit as it's still in stock at Apple's online store, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's much more popular than it has been. Suddenly it's either more affordable or actually viable for demanding tasks.
I'm not calling them a runaway hit yet, but I do know that with the recent changes to Google Educations tracking and data management policies they are dangerously close to running afoul of our child protection requirements and causing us to need a full privacy impact assessment. Take into account their price increases and licensing costs for the Google Admin console and now the base model MacMini costs only slightly more than the base model ChromeBox while having vastly more power behind it and the Apple Education platform more than complies with all our data privacy laws and requirements. Additionally, the Apple School Manager plays much nicer with Azure than Google does, and the Apple Classroom is cleaner and easier to manage than the Google Classroom setup is too. So I am now looking at a very real situation of having to phase out my ChromeOS devices for Apple ones as the Chrome devices die or age out, and the numbers aren't terribly different, when all is said and done we are looking at Apple being maybe $50-$75 more per device once we factor in unboxing, setup, and install. Sure over a thousand devices that adds up, but we can also expect the Apple devices to last longer as Google has a firm End of Life date on all its managed devices and they are of substantially cheaper build quality.

Last edited:

Anyone willing to single source products from the most anti-consumer corporation in the world is just waiting for lassie to come home and bite them in the ass.

You'll spend more and get far less than going with literally anyone else. Apple's products are disposable trash the moment they leave the factory.

Not to say it happens everywhere, but anywhere I used to work with Apple products always had Apple devices ETA out months because of fighting with Apple over warranty work they were contractually obligated to cover, but didn't want to. Or because said devices simply didn't exist, because of recalls. 2008-2013 was not a good time to be in the Apple ecosystem. Not to mention their perpetual dumpster fire of serious design flaws that they do everything possible to minimize and avoid accountability for, until there's a lawsuit that forces them to.

and the Apple Education platform more than complies with all our data privacy laws and requirements.

You sure about that? They've recently enabled functionality in MacOS that scans your local files without your consent and uploads them to the hive mind, again without your consent.

https://sneak.berlin/20230115/macos-scans-your-local-files-now/

I'd call that a pretty severe privacy violation.

You sure about that? They've recently enabled functionality in MacOS that scans your local files without your consent and uploads them to the hive mind, again without your consent.

bHuT iTs FoUr Da ChiLdReN!!1!!111!1!!

how long until MS follows suit now 😔🔫

Trying to HW key prompt to factory reset/reformat Macs is always a PITA also 👎

Last edited:
Trying to HW key prompt to factory reset/reformat Macs is always a PITA also 👎

New M1 and M2 macbooks can't be recovered if you don't have the password. They disable external boot devices, and since everything is soldered on the logic board, with chips paired to each other and encrypted, the machine is ewaste.

Anyone willing to single source products from the most anti-consumer corporation in the world is just waiting for lassie to come home and bite them in the ass.

You'll spend more and get far less than going with literally anyone else. Apple's products are disposable trash the moment they leave the factory.

Not to say it happens everywhere, but anywhere I used to work with Apple products always had Apple devices ETA out months because of fighting with Apple over warranty work they were contractually obligated to cover, but didn't want to. Or because said devices simply didn't exist, because of recalls. 2008-2013 was not a good time to be in the Apple ecosystem. Not to mention their perpetual dumpster fire of serious design flaws that they do everything possible to minimize and avoid accountability for, until there's a lawsuit that forces them to.

So no iCloud, no Apple ID, means no updates? So how did it update?
The process the guy is complaining about mediaanalysisd has existed as part of the Photos app since 2015 not exactly new and it only runs while Photos is running. A program he specifically states he doesn’t use. It connects back to your social media accounts to tag recognized faces in the photos based on which social media apps you have installed.
That article doesn’t pass the smell test.

Edit:
The service also is used for faceID recognition when you have the face recognition used to unlock the Mac, but you can only use that if you have an AppleID setup. Another thing he specifically says he doesn’t use…

Last edited:
For many years, pretty much from year 2000 to 2018 I was using Option contracts to play the two year up / down cycles on INTC. Was almost like clockwork. Things started to change when the corporate tax rate was slashed in 2017 and all those Corporations had more available for stock buy backs. To the tune of trillion$. Seems to me that has fueled much of the Market run up since.

"Email, Netflix, Facebook, the odd game of Solitaire or Sudoku and mostly Amazon shopping. It’s all they get used for."

"Our computational capabilities have increased 10-fold, but the general population's computational needs haven't increased in a decade."

= = =

In my mind, significance of both above statements cannot be over-stated. For many only reason to upgrade is so they can deal with more trash without slow downs - running ever more animations and clicky images. Median page weight is bloating like a beached whale in the sun. Would love to see a stat showing what percentage of internet is devoted to forcing advertisements into people's eye holes.

Last edited:
Meanwhile...

Screenshot_20230131_165043_Firefox.png

But also..
https://www.fool.com/investing/2022/11/02/amd-shaves-nearly-3-billion-from-2022-revenue-targ/
"AMD Shaves Nearly $3 Billion From 2022 Revenue Target"
and from that article
"Although AMD's forecast was behind expectations, it was not as weak as some worried. Recent earnings reports for both Intel and AMD show the once fast growing data center business will be more challenging for all chip makers as companies adjust their spending."

TLDR;
AMD lowers expectations by $3B, but then slightly exceeded that new number, but still failed to make their original goals buy by a slightly better margin than Intel missed theirs by.

Back