Intel Iris Xe vs Intel Iris Plus vs GTX 1650 vs Ryzen

edo101

Limp Gawd
I've been out of the laptop game for a while. I like 2-in-1s and will not take anything that has no touch and pen support. This limits me to a few lineup of laptops and expensive solutions.

To be honest I've never gamed on laptops because integrated graphics have been crap for so long. I have my main rig for that, but with what I hear from the little research I've done, integrated graphics have come a long way.

I heard new ryzen mobile chips are better than Intel's offerings but in a lot of the laptop lines I've looked at, very few seem to be offering AMD options.

Ideally I want a 2 in 1 with pen and touch support first, then a step above Intel UHD graphics for minum gaming on the go like with real time strategy games. Anyone got any idea on how big the differences among the mainstream mobile gaming chips are. I am not looking for a gaming laptop. Just something that can handle 1080p gaming at low to med resolution.

Also exclusively looking for above FHD screen resolution. 1080p after working on a 4K mobile monitor is no good anymore. The extra screen realestate is worth it even if its limited at 14 and 15"

While Intel iGPUs have "come a long way", they're still not up to discrete (even low end) performance. But still, IMHO, workable at low settings.

Ryzen iGPUs are more like their real discrete versions, so tend to do better than Intel iGPUs (usually a lot better). They are more like a low end discrete GPU performance wise.

Personally, I've never found the whole "touch screen" thing to be of much interest. Maybe you have a "need". I turn it off.

For the record my laptop is a Dell XPS 9310 with i7-11855G7 running openSUSE Tumbleweed (which is more than enough for me). My screen is 1920x1200 (16:10, again, as it should be).

While Intel iGPUs have "come a long way", they're still not up to discrete (even low end) performance. But still, IMHO, workable at low settings.

Ryzen iGPUs are more like their real discrete versions, so tend to do better than Intel iGPUs (usually a lot better). They are more like a low end discrete GPU performance wise.

Personally, I've never found the whole "touch screen" thing to be of much interest. Maybe you have a "need". I turn it off.

For the record my laptop is a Dell XPS 9310 with i7-11855G7 running openSUSE Tumbleweed (which is more than enough for me). My screen is 1920x1200 (16:10, again, as it should be).
cjcox You don't find FHD too restricting when it comes to productivity use?
I figured AMD would be better gpu performance wise but these vendors are mainly using Intel for some reason

cjcox You don't find FHD too restricting when it comes to productivity use?
I figured AMD would be better gpu performance wise but these vendors are mainly using Intel for some reason
Again, I do prefer the 1920x1200 (16:10, which is larger than 16:9 FHD). I don't need anything higher res because after all, it is a 13" screen.

It is a catch-22. There are still more Intel options out there. If you really need better GPU performance, might be worth hunt to find a reasonable Ryzen G based setup.

But I figure you can't be all that serious (perf wise) if considering just a laptop, so maybe you can get "what you want" with an Intel.

If it helps, my laptop cold boots in less than 10 seconds. And that's nice.

Xe cant even run esports games without down rezing. Intel is a couple generations away from igpu being an entry level gpu replacement even at 1080p.

Xe cant even run esports games without down rezing. Intel is a couple generations away from igpu being an entry level gpu replacement even at 1080p.
And the Xe is better than the latest 12th gen iGPU. Again, just showing how far below it is. So, emphasis on "low settings".

But still, it's tons better than it was 10 years ago.

And the Xe is better than the latest 12th gen iGPU. Again, just showing how far below it is. So, emphasis on "low settings".

But still, it's tons better than it was 10 years ago.
12tth iGPU? What's that?

Lots of 2 in 1s with Ryzen but cant think of one with a greater than 1080p screen. You need to pick and choose what is important to you.

I've got a G14 that has integrated vega and a 2060-q and it has been perfect for me. Older stuff I can just run on integrated and if I want to play something newer I use the 2060. I do use my main PC for gaming primarily though.

I have a laptop with a Ryzen 2700U and it's fine for light gaming. Older titles mostly, anything with a low memory requirement, that's the real bottleneck. Modern Ryzen APUs are only slightly faster with regards to graphics right now, with high-end APUs about 20 percent more powerful. (They really put a lot of oomph into the 2700U at the time.)

If I was going to buy a system with light gaming in mind today, it would absolutely have AMD graphics. Don't forget, they're getting RSR next month. Well, probably.

What's your budget?

I have a laptop with a Ryzen 2700U and it's fine for light gaming. Older titles mostly, anything with a low memory requirement, that's the real bottleneck. Modern Ryzen APUs are only slightly faster with regards to graphics right now, with high-end APUs about 20 percent more powerful. (They really put a lot of oomph into the 2700U at the time.)

If I was going to buy a system with light gaming in mind today, it would absolutely have AMD graphics. Don't forget, they're getting RSR next month. Well, probably.

What's your budget?
Ive been pretty impressed with ryzen apus. Honestly for what I use a laptop for I want a apu over most other solutions. I wont even look at lower end intel offerings because of it.

With that said I have had and used gaming laptops with decent gpus. I just got to the point I would rather game on a desktop for anything intensive and a light weight and notebook can push other games at 1080p just fine

Last edited:
Reactions: Axman
like this
Ive been pretty impressed with ryzen apus.

I fully expect AMD to completely end low- and lower mid-range GPUs and replace them with APUs, and have high-end APUs that compete with mid-range GPUs, but with fewer features.

But that's a couple of generations out, I think.

After a little digging, it looks like Iris Xe trades blows with the 5000 series Ryzens, so maybe hunting for AMD isn't necessary as long as you can find one with Iris Xe.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/tested-can-you-play-todays-biggest-games-on-laptop-integrated-graphics
https://www.pcworld.com/article/394...-better-than-intels-11th-gen-mobile-chip.html

Of course a discreet GPU would still be nice. Also ignore scores for 12th gen unless they're leaked scores for mobile parts. The desktop ones still use the slow integrated graphics. AFAIK Iris Xe is mobile only. Another fun bit is the fast Intel mobile CPUs (the full power 35+W ones with model numbers ending in H) get the slow graphics. I guess they just assume they'll be paired with a discreet solution. The AMD ones have the APU, but I haven't had much luck finding a laptop with an H,HS, or HX CPU and no discreet graphics. I want one for programming work.

The AMD ones have the APU, but I haven't had much luck finding a laptop with an H,HS, or HX CPU and no discreet graphics. I want one for programming work.

Lenovo has a bunch of laptops with 5850U processors, those have 8c/16t APUs with 8 CUs at 2,000 MHz, wouldn't that do? CPU boosts to 4.4 GHz.

The APUs with the most graphics horsepower are only 8 CUs at 2,100 MHz, IIRC. So a 5 percent reduction; not giving up much at all.

FYI those Lenovos are more than half off on sale right now, probably ending tonight.

Lenovo's are pretty solid these days. Do you really need pen support, if so it is really hard to beat a surface. I have a surface laptop 3 15 with i7 and xe at work and has as awesome display, but have to crank the dpi up weird 3:2 res, but GPU is not even Fortnite playable.... Also not foldable like the normal ones or the surface books. But rocks at normal stuff.

Two things to keep in mind

1) Intel's GPU drivers blow compared to AMD. Ok maybe not "blow", but your far more likely to hit annoying issues comparatively.
2) The higher res your screen, the worse battery life you get. And since laptop screens are already tiny, you end up using GUI scaling, which means you don't really get any extra work space with tiny 4k screens.

Last edited:
Back