Intel Core i9-12900K, i7-12700K, i5-12600K Specs, Pricing & New TDP!

They're hotplates but it's nice to see this from Intel.

Hopefully there are good days ahead.

In 2122 when the great shortage ends.........

I don't need 690. I only want basic MoBo which works with 12900KF. I'm wondering did anyone try H510+11900 test and how does it work? I would assume H610 chipset would work the same.
Why do you want a top of the line CPU and no other supporting features? This just doesn’t make sense to me.

Why do you want a top of the line CPU and no other supporting features? This just doesn’t make sense to me.
I've seen tests with H410 and 10900. It works if you need basic usage. Even on H410 you can adjust the power limit using Throttlestop. But I only need stock frequency and I assume H610 will be as good or even better than H410 which worked well with 10900.
Other supporting features I don't need since I'll be using DDR4. I don't know if H610 chipset will use PCI Express 4.0?

I've seen tests with H410 and 10900. It works if you need basic usage. Even on H410 you can adjust the power limit using Throttlestop. But I only need stock frequency and I assume H610 will be as good or even better than H410 which worked well with 10900.
Other supporting features I don't need since I'll be using DDR4. I don't know if H610 chipset will use PCI Express 4.0?
Basic usage and flagship CPU doesn’t normally go together? What exactly are you running?

I got my Ryzen 5 in December 2019 so Hey Intel and Ryzen ... if I'm still kicking I'll see ya in about 10 years :ROFLMAO:

Why is the ryzen idle so high? I can’t listen to the audio but I found this.

1636165230555.png

If you need basic usage on your PC, then you don't need a 12900K. Either look at the 12700 or wait for the 12600 reviews, which should still be more than enough and able to cool with an air cooler.
Or just buy a 5600. :)
Half joking... the 12700/600 don't seem like terrible buys. Personally I don't see them as a better value vs AMD right now.... if for no other reason then AMD has one more drop in replacement coming. a 5600 or hell even a 3600 on the cheap today, and you can just drop one of the new 3Dcache chips in there down the line and get the best AM4 will get before it retires. Without a doubt AMDs 3Dcache parts are going to rolfstomp Alder Lake.... and they aren't going to require 3 air craft fan powered water cooling blocks to keep from starting fires.

Or just buy a 5600. :)
Half joking... the 12700/600 don't seem like terrible buys. Personally I don't see them as a better value vs AMD right now.... if for no other reason then AMD has one more drop in replacement coming. a 5600 or hell even a 3600 on the cheap today, and you can just drop one of the new 3Dcache chips in there down the line and get the best AM4 will get before it retires. Without a doubt AMDs 3Dcache parts are going to rolfstomp Alder Lake.... and they aren't going to require 3 air craft fan powered water cooling blocks to keep from starting fires.
Raptor Lake will be LGA 1700 and will likely work on the Z690 boards ;)

Raptor Lake will be LGA 1700 and will likely work on the Z690 boards ;)
Likely story. ;)
I am pretty sure Intel hasn't confirmed that... and even if they said it today would I believe them tomorrow ? sure don't sound like them. All we know for sure is Meteor lake following raptor for sure will get yet another new socket when Intel goes chiplet. Even if the plan right now if for Alders follow up to stay LGA 1700... if AMD beats them up Intel is likely to pull something forward / try to bodge something together to retake a lead which I would be willing to bet money would mean "new socket".

In all seriousness it would be nice to be wrong on that... but Intel will have to prove such a thing to me. Drop in replacements for Intel have rarely been a reality.

Last edited:
Likely story. ;)
I am pretty sure Intel hasn't confirmed that... and even if they said it today would I believe them tomorrow ? sure don't sound like them.

AMD also hasn't said that ZEN3D will work on B550 or X570/S ;)

indeed, Intel hasn't confirmed. but 11 series worked on Z490.

AMD also hasn't said that ZEN3D will work on B550 or X570/S ;)

indeed, Intel hasn't confirmed. but 11 series worked on Z490.
AMD has confirmed Zen3D is AM4.... and they have confirmed AM5 for Zen4 later in 2022 with PCIe5/DDR5 and also cooler socket combability with AM4. (so you can just pop your water block off your AM4 MOBO and put it on your new AM5 next year)

AMD has confirmed Zen3D is AM4.... and they have confirmed AM5 for Zen4 later in 2022 with PCIe5/DDR5 and also cooler socket combability with AM4. (so you can just pop your water block off your AM4 MOBO and put it on your new AM5 next year)

Yes I watched the Ryzen video and they said AM4, but they did not explicitly say B550 and X570/s

however, I am playing devil's advocate here. I expect Zen3D to drop in, after a bios update. It likely would have been leaked by now, if AMD was planning a new motherboard.

Raptor Lake is confirmed LGA 1700, same socket as Alder Lake. Whether or not it works with Z690, we shall see. But, 11th gen worked on Z490 and Intel is still in competition mode. So...I would be surprised if Raptor Lake requires new motherboards.

Last edited:
Yes I watched the Ryzen video and they said AM4, but they did not explicitly say B550 and X570/s

however, I am playing devil's advocate here. I expect Zen3D to drop in, after a bios update. It likely would have been leaked by now, if AMD was planning a new motherboard.

Raptor Lake is confirmed LGA 1700, same socket as Alder Lake. Whether or not it works with Z690, we shall see. But, 11th gen worked on Z490 and Intel is still in competition mode. So...I would be surprised if Raptor Lake requires new motherboards.
I hear you. I would be surprised if it didn't slot in as well. I'm sure it will... but I still don't really trust Intel. haha
Intel has been turned into a nervous company.

IMO Alder was pulled forward a little bit. I am pretty sure Alder was intended to be more incremental when it was drawn up on the roadmap years back. Intel has pulled some stuff forward to try and squeeze what they can out of 10nm. (IMO little cores are nothing but a way to allow them to feed more power to those big cores that win benches) I think they have gotten pretty much all they can out of the broken 10nm process. Its for that reason I'm not convinced Raptor is going to really be able to do much better then Alder. (as its also 10nm) All the new stuff is in Alder... Raptor sounds like your typical Intel incrementally better design. I'm not sure it stands any chance against Zen4.

If AMDs 3D cache puts them back firmly in the performance lead vs Alder which is likely.... that leaves Raptor and its rumored incremental 10% bump over goldencove to go up against Zen4 which will launch around the same time. My fear for slotting Raptor into 1700 would be Intel freaking out about Zen4 Leaks (or samples Intel gets their hands on) and doing something crazy... like going even more Ham on power / die size what have you to try their damndest to give their marketing team something to work with. :) lol

Basic usage and flagship CPU doesn’t normally go together? What exactly are you running?
i5 2500
If you need basic usage on your PC, then you don't need a 12900K. Either look at the 12700 or wait for the 12600 reviews, which should still be more than enough and able to cool with an air cooler.
I need basic usage for MoBo and but I need performance of 12900 for Blender and UE5. Since test showed it worked on H410 I expect the same on H610.

Last edited:
i5 2500

I basic usage for MoBo and but I need performance of 12900 for Blender and UE5. Since teset showed it worked on H410 I expect the same on H610.
So you’re going to be rendering, but want to intentionally run slower drives and slower PCIE slots and limited connectivity? This isn’t even the mid range H670 board, it’s the base model motherboard.

Is that really worth saving what, $50? $70?

If AMDs 3D cache puts them back firmly in the performance lead vs Alder which is likely.... that leaves Raptor and its rumored incremental 10% bump over goldencove to go up against Zen4 which will launch around the same time. My fear for slotting Raptor into 1700 would be Intel freaking out about Zen4 Leaks (or samples Intel gets their hands on) and doing something crazy... like going even more Ham on power / die size what have you to try their damndest to give their marketing team something to work with. :) lol
Not sure 3D Cache will be the panacea everyone hopes for. All the cache in the world won't make the cores faster. I'm sure certain workloads will benefit, others not.

I wouldn't say no to a 5900XT since I have a X570 MB I really like, but not holding my breath. The real muscle won't come until Zen4.

Last edited:
I basic usage for MoBo and but I need performance of 12900 for Blender and UE5. Since teset showed it worked on H410 I expect the same on H610.
If you're going to do such a massive upgrade, just go all out and get a good motherboard. It will be worth it.

So you’re going to be rendering, but want to intentionally run slower drives and slower PCIE slots and limited connectivity? This isn’t even the mid range H670 board, it’s the base model motherboard.

Is that really worth saving what, $50? $70?
We don't know the exact price yet but if I'm projecting the price H510 and Z690 it will be more than double. I would just invest that for other better parts. Cheapest H510 is 89$ and cheapest Z690 is about 228$.

Well this escalated quickly, first 5800X dropped to $299, and now 12700K has dropped from $449.99 to $399.99 at MC

Lisa Su and Tim Intel need to get on a call and work out some kind of price fixing agreement or consumers are going to start winning, and there's no room for that in today's market.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ga-1700-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included
1636203147462.png

Last edited:
Not sure 3D Cache will be the panacea everyone hopes for. All the cache in the world won't make the cores faster. I'm sure certain workloads will benefit, others not.

I wouldn't say no to a 5900XT since I have a X570 MB I really like, but not holding my breath. The real muscle won't come until Zen4.

I mean early tests showed a ~10% improvement. That's in the ballpark of AL, slots in existing MBs, and should draw less power.

Realistically, the AMD crowd should be saving their money for Zen4 instead of an incremental upgrade.

I mean early tests showed a ~10% improvement. That's in the ballpark of AL, slots in existing MBs, and should draw less power.

Realistically, the AMD crowd should be saving their money for Zen4 instead of an incremental upgrade.
Some of us will grab an upgrade part. Assuming my MOBO is good to go for it... I probably will. I grabbed a 3600x when they launched... I was going to go with a 3700/3800 but got a really good deal on the 36 and decided to spend my budget on some other parts at that time. Planning to upgrade later. (wife and kids both have ryzen machines so the 3600 would have found a home anyway)
Thing is the 3600 has been solid... I never actually felt the need to swap it out. (and the family hasn't complained about any about their 2400/2200 systems either) So perhaps now, knowing these are for sure the last chips coming with the potential to slot in... I likely will pick one up.
If I was looking at an entire new system I would probably wait it out unless I had no choice... what is another 6 or 7 months.

We don't know the exact price yet but if I'm projecting the price H510 and Z690 it will be more than double. I would just invest that for other better parts. Cheapest H510 is 89$ and cheapest Z690 is about 228$.
Why invest in any other significant parts though? You're going to be handicapping the CPU, the RAM, the drives - everything. H610 is going to be a low-cost platform; mixing it with high-end parts is going to drastically handicap ~all~ of them. This is like being cheap on the foundation of your house but buying the fanciest kitchen - doesn't matter when the thing is falling over.

And if you're buying the cheapest H610 board, you're REALLY handicapping everything - especially since whatever that has will have lousy VRMS and power regulation, so you won't be able to boost or even USE the 12900.

You do you, but this is not a wise idea. At LEAST move up to something like an H670 -

With how the last 2 years has been for parts and availability I’m seriously considering just going with an Alienware laptop or other such gaming laptop when it’s time for my rig to go.
I don’t upgrade or tinker any more, I set it up and use it until I can’t use it no more.

If the market improves by that time I may reconsider but at this point I’m not so sure it will any time soon.

With how the last 2 years has been for parts and availability I’m seriously considering just going with an Alienware laptop or other such gaming laptop when it’s time for my rig to go.
I don’t upgrade or tinker any more, I set it up and use it until I can’t use it no more.

If the market improves by that time I may reconsider but at this point I’m not so sure it will any time soon.
That's not a bad idea honestly. I recently replaced my laptop with a Asus G14 and it has great mobility and gaming options.

Even if you don't upgrade your desktop, at least you still have the option to replace a part in a desktop when something breaks. It's pretty lame to have all your eggs in one basket with a laptop. One single cracked solder joint is all it takes to make a laptop useless, and given that a laptop is going to be subjected to more extreme temperatures and more frequent heating and cooling cycles, this is a strong possibility. Being stuck with a small laptop screen, and not being able to easily replace the screen if it breaks, also sucks. Laptop keyboards suck, and aren't easy to replace when they get gunked up (which will happen if you actually use the laptop frequently). Ultimately, laptops are disposable items, like shoes or socks. If you are okay with throwing your computer away and buying a new one every once in a while that's fine. With a desktop you have the option of using each individual component as long as you want to. You can use the same computer case through many builds. You can re-use the power supply. You can have several monitors, adding or replacing monitors whenever you want. You can upgrade your keyboard completely independently of your computer. You can add storage easily. A laptop just seems like a terrible option in comparison unless you really NEED that mobility.

amazing-this-too-shall-pass-tattoo.jpg

Not just that, but AMD has a new stepping for the Ryzen chips that will be using 3d cache. Who knows if the new stepping is more efficient or allows AMD to run higher clocks.

But, I do not see AMD releasing new motherboards for 3D. Otherwise there would of been a ton of leaks by now.

Does anybody else notice, now that Intel is remotely competitive again there is suddenly a flood of AMD "leaks" about upcoming Processors and APU's?

Back