Intel Core i9-12900K, i7-12700K, i5-12600K Specs, Pricing & New TDP!

The performance is impressive no doubt. But to use that much power to get it really shows how damn good the 5000 chips are.
It's not really a fair comparison, the 5900X being compared only scored 20.2K vs the 12900K's >27K. Without LN2, the 5900X can't overclock high enough to reach that score, and even a 5950X will need considerably more watts than stock to reach it, its stock score is only about 25.5K. The 12900K is strong enough that AMD is going to have to push up their wattage too.

And indications are that the 12900K when dialed back a little has very good performance/watt, 117W CPU package power for a score of 25K with an undervolt:

Last edited:
Power consumption is only high when doing things that seriously stress the CPU, like rendering in Blender.

For everyday usage, or even gaming, the power draw is actually quite good.

9974_47_intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-cpu-review.png

Power consumption is only high when doing things that seriously stress the CPU, like rendering in Blender.

View attachment 410419

True, but the only time it really dominates current AMD offerings is when it is doing things that stress the CPU like in productivity tasks. In gaming, its pretty much a wash (or at the very least only slight gains).

All things are cyclical. We're back to hardware based decoder/encoder/etc - until a new set of algorithms comes out, run in software only at first, and then we wait for them to get implemented in hardware again.
Very true. I wonder when we will see graphics chips using more fixed function units.

View attachment 410419
What the hell was their system? Tech power up had about parity for single thread and amd with the lead for efficiency. Here’s their numbers on the bench. I can’t imagine any reasonable person running 100w of fans
1636305199472.png

i5 2500

I need basic usage for MoBo and but I need performance of 12900 for Blender and UE5. Since test showed it worked on H410 I expect the same on H610.
Blender means your 12900k will be maxed out a lot and will probably throttle down its speed on such basic VRMs. I would recommend getting a B660 and H670, with decent VRM.
H610 would probably have full performance in gaming. But I don't think it will give a 12900k full performance in an all-core, full load, such as Blender.

Blender means your 12900k will be maxed out a lot and will probably throttle down its speed on such basic VRMs. I would recommend getting a B660 and H670, with decent VRM.
H610 would probably have full performance in gaming. But I don't think it will give a 12900k full performance in an all-core, full load, such as Blender.

The choice is going to be whether or not you buy a high end B660 or a lower end Z690 board. Both should have decent-ish VRMs but you might get more bells and whistles with the Z690.

seeing the power consumption of the 12900K under heavy load, makes me wonder what the vanilla 12900 will do. usually the vanilla variants are 65W TDP, but TDP is pretty irrelevant now.

seeing the power consumption of the 12900K under heavy load, makes me wonder what the vanilla 12900 will do. usually the vanilla variants are 65W TDP, but TDP is pretty irrelevant now.
The 60w TDP parts usually stay real low in max power usage. So that they can be marketed and used in business and compact configurations.

However, you can unlock the power and turbo limits in the bios and it will likely use nearly as much power as its K version.

Here's a Techpowerup review of the 10900 non-K
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900/

So if I am understanding a few things correctly as it currently stands the E cores really mess up crypto miners, while AMD's higher caches on their upcoming CPUs will dramatically increase mining efficiency.

So if I am understanding a few things correctly as it currently stands the E cores really mess up crypto miners, while AMD's higher caches on their upcoming CPUs will dramatically increase mining efficiency.

"Mining" could mean anything. Historically CPU mining has favored larger cache over sheer top end speed.

Likely increase efficiency all round. If people think the power draw comparisons are ugly now just wait.

Back