Intel Core i9-10980XE Successor

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Hey guys I am looking to build a new work computer some time in the coming months for professional art. I am using this computer for computer game development art programs such as Maya, KeyShot, Z Brush, Photoshop etc....

It looks like the Intel Core i9-10980XE is currently the best Intel CPU I could get for this build, I was wondering does anyone know how much longer I would have to wait to purchase the successor to the Intel Core i9-10980XE ??

I wasn't sure when the new generation of Intel work CPUs rather than gaming CPUs are expected to be released.

Thanks for the help.

I have not heard of a Rocket Lake-X. If you are gunning for Intel, I guess you could go IceLake-SP, but that may get pushed into 2021.

I'm sure they'll come up with a new HEDT setup eventually, but from what I hear no update this year and I haven't seen anything about a timeline for it. The press seems to think they've decided it's pointless until they can match the 16-core Ryzen desktop platform chips without basically throwing a Scalable Xeon at it.

If you don't need the extra PCIE slots that Intel's HEDT platform can provide, the AMD 5950X looks like a really good way to go - especially with Intel losing the photoshop crown to the 5950X by a good bit.

If you can get one 🤣🤣🤣

They're becoming far more available finally- microcenter tends to have a few, as does online sales (newegg) from time to time, and htey last too.

That being said, Threadripper tears it a new asshole, and even the 5950X blows it out of the water unless you really need those last two cores (in which case, the 3960X will do you nicely for the same price).

Until Intel finds a way to catch up on those, it's just not worth it - unless you have to have intel for something. No current successor on the roadmap, as the only other option is bringing down the price on the Xeon-W chips or something similar, which is... well, insane. That's a 3k CPU normally.

Back