Intel ARC Performance and Pricing Speculation

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
Maybe we can Consolidate into the new sub-forum.

From everything I've seen, it sounds like the highest end 512 EU Intel ARC part is going to target 3070Ti performance with 16GB GDDR6. GPU compute tasks will likely be faster than the 3070Ti but gaming might be slower. RT performance probably be meager. XeSS is the AI Super Sampling being rumored to increase performance but I haven't found anything new about XeSS since maybe August/Sept. of 2021.

Pricing was rumored to be 10% less than 3070Ti ($599 I think is "MSRP" of the 3070Ti. ).

Production to start mid-Feb, 2022.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...e-arc-laptop-gpus-include-up-to-16-gb-of-ram/
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...but-offer-10-higher-performance.584349.0.html

Newer information out there?

I don't know how trustworthy is the source. We can't say for sure Arc Alchemist 12 EU is competitor with 3070Ti since we still don't know realtime raytracing/global illumination SSRTGI capabilites. Raster performance might be good with these numbers.

Where will Intel sit in this lineup? Between AMD and NVIDIA or below?

Where will Intel sit in this lineup? Between AMD and NVIDIA or below?

I think it will depend on pricing. Probably the closest performance competitor is going to be the RX6800 (non-XT) and the 3070Ti. While both of those cards have a sub-$600 "MSRP" they are closer to $900-1000 in the wild. If Intel has any kind of stock sub-$600 (heck, even under $700) they could potentially be a winner by default. I would think it should be somewhat faster than a 3060/6600 which are often the only sub-$600 cards available.

Wherever pricing lands, having another competitor in the mix is exciting. And a 6800/3070 ti-level performer is squarely where competition is needed.

I suspect Arc's first run will be relatively limited, but subsequent gens will be more numerous coinciding with new fab capacity coming online.

I expect OEMs having first bids with Intel CPUs in prebuilds/systems. Has anyone heard of AIB partners with ARC? Or will it be all Intel?

From what I've heard sounds like they still have problems with drivers and hitting 3070Ti performance in non-synthetic, actual gaming.

MRSP means beans. Why even mention it when trying to define a product. Futile and ignorant. I'm tired of this.
BarbossaGuidelinesFB-1.png

I think it will depend on pricing. Probably the closest performance competitor is going to be the RX6800 (non-XT) and the 3070Ti. While both of those cards have a sub-$600 "MSRP" they are closer to $900-1000 in the wild. If Intel has any kind of stock sub-$600 (heck, even under $700) they could potentially be a winner by default. I would think it should be somewhat faster than a 3060/6600 which are often the only sub-$600 cards available.
If they can supply stock at msrp and the performance is there I'll buy.

No matter the msrp, scalpers and inital bidding will make sure prices will skyrocket. I'm doubtful on Intel's decision for not making Arc as standard LHR product.

Series X was available nearly all day Monday on Gamestop's website at MSRP.

I mean it's been over a year since launch. You would think every console would be much more widely available than that.

Every piece of software runs better on one card or the other. I would imagine that Intel cards are going to be similar. There will be certain games that Intel does well with and others where it doesn't.

What concerns me is something like that OpenCL benchmark I posted above. What you don't want to see is wild swings in performance between cards. One might be 15% faster than a 3070, but the next 30% slower. That's bad for business. Hopefully it is just a driver issue.

I'm mostly interested in Intel's workstation offer compared to Quadro and Radeon Pro cards. I'm a bit dissapointed that we need to wait the end of year.

Last edited:
That's what confuses me. You can get almost any desired card on Newegg in a week or two. I wouldn't call that shortages. So why are the prices so high?
Intel announced to supply about millions of cards https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/in...ort-out-graphics-card-shortages-with-arc-gpus

That’s how supply and demand works, if demand is too high for MSRP, prices go above MSRP until demand matches supply. Prices cannot go down until demand at these prices goes away.

I think we’re in a temporary environment where prices are too high but sellers haven’t adjusted yet. That’ll happen soon. It takes more than a week.

You see this in the used car market. Supply is building up cause prices are too high, dealers are being too greedy.

That's what confuses me. You can get almost any desired card on Newegg in a week or two. I wouldn't call that shortages. So why are the prices so high?
Intel announced to supply about millions of cards https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/in...ort-out-graphics-card-shortages-with-arc-gpus

When the market reaches saturation, I really do expect prices to plummet. All those people scalping will be wanting to get out all at once.

*Edit* it looks like the demand is falling off. It's going to be an interesting few months.

Last edited:
Good breakdown with most recent news from Intel at time of video:

No real price information and some speculation on release dates for the higher tier GPUs. Intel releasing ARC this late in the stage for this generation may cause them some issues but I don't think AMD nor Nvidia will have any lower end GPU's next gen for awhile.

A new video showcasing a demo of XᵉSS. Looks like they addressed the issue of particle effects disappearing since the first example shown, but this is Intel's own demo. I would like to see it in a real game again to know for sure if it's still an issue.

I'll likely pick up a low end Arc card at launch.
Not for gaming. This card would make a great Plex/Jellyfin card with quick sync , AV1 encode and decode baked in.
This will be much cheaper than Nvidia Quadro cards.
It will be interesting to see how Twitch handles AV1 Decode. Lots of people won't have it in hardware. And it could choke a lot of CPUs or mobile devices. Currently, you don't get transcoding options for your viewers, unless you are a pretty consistent streamer.

and then of course, Youtube. Which currently transcodes everything and it looks awful...

I'll likely pick up a low end Arc card at launch.
Not for gaming. This card would make a great Plex/Jellyfin card with quick sync , AV1 encode and decode baked in.
This will be much cheaper than Nvidia Quadro cards.
Wow, I hadn't thought about that. I was looking for a 1650 super and using hacked drivers.

Now I'm more intrigued by Intel's GPU. Do we have any indication as to pricing?

Last edited:
No comment, just posting.

ho-hum, Summer for the Arc 5 and 7 versions for their mobile (when in summer?), the ones at least I would be interested in and pause, no date or indication when desktops will be available. Seems like Intel will be smack in the middle of AMD and Nvidia announcements of their next generational GPUs.

Anyways marketing speaks louder when actual products are being reviewed. Look forward to the actual release and results from independent testers. Performance/actual cost/availability/Drivers compared to what will be on the market at the time. Just seems like Intel is having delay after delay with ARC. I do find it interesting that Intel is using TSMC to do their GPUs while talking with Nvidia to fab theirs in the future, guess that will be several years out at this stage. If Intel was making these, home brew and they were decent, that would be very interesting.

Wow, I hadn't thought about that. I was looking for a 1650 super and using hacked drivers.

Now I'm more intrigued by Intel's GPU. Do we have any indication as to pricing?
The 1650 super runs around $200.
Intel's low end card MIGHT be under a C note. https://www.gpumag.com/intel-arc-alchemist/
Recent talks with Intel about their Intel Arc lineup mentioned that they are planning to sell over 4 million ARC GPUs throughout 2022 and that their average GPU price will be around $75.
So less than half the price of the 1650 Super, no hacked drivers, Quick Sync and AV1 hardware decode/encode. I've been saying from the beginning this is an inexpensive Plex/Jellyfin server card. No stream limits and 25ish watts.
Ive got no need for a gaming card from Intel as I have a 3090.

The 1650 super runs around $200.
Intel's low end card MIGHT be under a C note. https://www.gpumag.com/intel-arc-alchemist/
Recent talks with Intel about their Intel Arc lineup mentioned that they are planning to sell over 4 million ARC GPUs throughout 2022 and that their average GPU price will be around $75.
So less than half the price of the 1650 Super, no hacked drivers, Quick Sync and AV1 hardware decode/encode. I've been saying from the beginning this is an inexpensive Plex/Jellyfin server card. No stream limits and 25ish watts.
Ive got no need for a gaming card from Intel as I have a 3090.
The sad part is the 1650 super would be $130 used if it weren't for the state of the world. Alas, that isn't the current reality and we are where we are.

Will definetly be looking at ARC for my media server.

Back