Intel ARC A750 & A770 Reviews

All these fake upscalers are cheats anyhow though. With time, I'm sure they'll get better at supporting resolutions they really can't handle.

Obviously a couple of things, it's new (can we compare to a 1st gen Nvidia?) and reviewer didn't even use an Intel GPU. Not that it would have made a huge differences on some of the issues though.

Interesting look at some performance improvements of older directx titles via dxvk:

Nothing earth-shattering, but not to be sneezed at either, with the advantage of not having to depend on microsoft should intel be minded to improve support for those older directx titles.

Last edited:
Interesting look at some performance improvements of older directx titles via dxvk:

Nothing earth-shattering, but not to be sneezed at either, with the advantage of not having to depend on microsoft should intel be minded to improve support for those older directx titles.

some improvements, some regressions

1 month is an incredibly tiny amount of time. Call me in about a year. Then, it might be interesting.

1 month is an incredibly tiny amount of time. Call me in about a year. Then, it might be interesting.

its going to take years before the stability is fully fixed, but at least performance should be a lot better in a year

but in that same time-frame, NVIDIA will release the replacement for Ada. So kinds wasting their time here

Not a total waste. Not everyone wants a jumbo card with a kickstand.

its got way worse efficiency/watt than the entire RDNA 2 lineup. that means if it not idle, your fan is moving a ton more air (or it uses a larger hunk of metal)

there still was some pretty good improvements for just a month. wouldn't this be the timeframe to address the biggest issues then approach diminishing returns? i'd figure on average the most amount of bugs are at the start and may be quickly addressed

By then, the next generation AMD and NVidia cards will be out. They should totally destroy the performance of the A750 and A770 at their current price point.

Reactions: erek
like this
By then, the next generation AMD and NVidia cards will be out. They should totally destroy the performance of the A750 and A770 at their current price point.
I think there is some perspective though. I mean, you're never ever going to fit those types of cards in just two slots, are you? Not saying that Intel too won't start growing jumbo cards, but seeing tiny cards that did "ok".... not bad for a first attempt.

Reactions: erek
like this
Intel Arc A770 vs Triple-A Gaming: 1440p, 4K, Ray Tracing, XeSS + Settings Optimization

All these fake upscalers are cheats anyhow though. With time, I'm sure they'll get better at supporting resolutions they really can't handle.

Obviously a couple of things, it's new (can we compare to a 1st gen Nvidia?) and reviewer didn't even use an Intel GPU. Not that it would have made a huge differences on some of the issues though.

All graphics are "cheats"
Cheap appromixations trying to simulate reality on a very limted computational budget.
The only relevant metric is: Could you pass an A/B test?

Calling anything fake in graphics is like calling water wet.

Cheap appromixations trying to simulate reality on a very limted computational budget.

But drinking water from the sewer is not the same as drinking from the tap. I think you're trying to way oversimplify the truth to make "new truth"?

But drinking water from the sewer is not the same as drinking from the tap. I think you're trying to way oversimplify the truth to make "new truth"?
seems like

what was your old username?

1670999163747.png

The water is still wet.
We will never have the computational power to simulate a world on the quantum level in real time.
Hence we need to cheat and approximate in order to have real time graphics.
Every single frame in games you have ever seen is a cheat.

Reactions: noko
like this
The water is still wet.
We will never have the computational power to simulate a world on the quantum level in real time.
Hence we need to cheat and approximate in order to have real time graphics.
Every single frame in games you have ever seen is a cheat.
Got it. Completely irrelevant to the conversation, but understood.

I received my card on Wednesday evening and so far, I like the A770-16.
It is not a card for the mainstream...not yet anyway.
It still has quirks but I can work around many of those over time.
The .exe driver package proved to be a complete PITA.
It hung my system right off the bat as it was looking at component configuration.
That led to a stuttery mouse which ultimately froze and then a GSOD.
On reboot it would try to continue automatically with the same result. It did that ten times while I looked for a solution on my phone.
In the end, I elected to boot into safe mode with networking, download the .zip driver installer and then manually install the driver using the 'update driver' feature in the Device Manager.
I haven't had anymore issues once the installation was completed.
It actually surprised me with how well it ran older racing titles. I did not expect that.
Here's a clip running Assetto Corsa at Mugello in the rain....some modded cars are exhibiting black headlights but I believe that is down to coding on the part of the modders since the default cars all display normally.

I ended up unboxing my 770 16GB LE and using it in this M-ATX build. My 3080 FTW3 was too thick, power cables blocked the side panel from going on.

IMG_3438.JPEG

AI response when asking if the ARC 770 is a good video card,
1673491728568.png

gonna test out that new Oc tool?
Probably not since I don't plan on gaming on it. I use that PC to browse the web and watch videos before I hit the sack.
I do need to get a new CPU for it since I took the 5800X from my other machine that I am selling so that I could use this one.
I might end up getting a Ryzen chip with onboard graphics and put the Intel back in the box.

Any ideas why ARC is so dependent on rebar/SAM for competitive performance? Is Intel getting great results from rebar/SAM hence the uplift or is poorly functioning and relying on it? Seems like a big swing compared to Nvidia and AMD.

So it is relying on it based on an architectural decision. I think they should have gone more balanced especially when Intel is relying on low end PC's for support of their products this gen. We will see if it benefits them in the future as they do perceive that it will give them an advantage.

Last edited:
None of the big reviewers seem to have revisited ARC A-750 and A-770 after the initial 'bloodbath'.
The cards still have many quirks to be ironed out but discouraging Intel by totally ignoring the progress to date, is not a good thing.
The drivers have done some things right...especially after the last two updates.
Those ARCs are also much smoother than many of the cards in their class where gameplay is concerned.
I ran a few short races at Mugello in the wet last evening and recorded them.
Off the line... with twenty cars on track... in horrible conditions.... with extremely heavy rain-spray and with Fraps recording in the background, no glitches.

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
Purchased the intel A770 LE card. Arrived from NewEgg and installed Wednesday. Worked great for 4 days. No issues until today. I was playing DMZ at 1080p like I had the previous 3 days.
My HTPC, which I assembled using new parts the same day, hard locked and shut down. I rebooted the system and noticed the fans weren't spinning. Fired MW up again fans were at 0% and would not come on. It got to 102 C and I exited out. Tried adjusting the fans but the fans will not come on no matter how hot it gets. I proceeded to use DDU to uninstall the driver and reinstall. I tried both the beta and release version and same shit. Looks like the A770 fan controller shit the bed. At least the RGB looks nice.
Looks like NewEgg is getting an A770 LE returned. Up until this I was satisfied with its performance for the purpose I was using it for.

The A770 I've been testing doesn't allow fan control via Arc control center and the cards memory runs quite hot. For now it's back in the box and waiting to see where it is in six months or so software/driver wise. The performance during testing wasn't bad apprx. 3060/6600 but that 92C VRam thing and no custom fan control landed it back in the box and on the 6 Mo. from now to do list.

The A770 I've been testing doesn't allow fan control via Arc control center and the cards memory runs quite hot. For now it's back in the box and waiting to see where it is in six months or so software/driver wise. The performance during testing wasn't bad apprx. 3060/6600 but that 92C VRam thing and no custom fan control landed it back in the box and on the 6 Mo. from now to do list.
You can enable fan control in the arc software. Why intel doesn't allow it by default is beyond me.

You can enable fan control in the arc software. Why intel doesn't allow it by default is beyond me.

Maybe they are experiencing fan contoller failure in testing so they removed the speed control option in an attempt to preserve the fan controller circuitry.

It seems that with the latest drivers, Intel Arc cards no longer suck at playing older games:

Now that the Arc 750 is only $250, it's probably one of the better mid-range cards out there at the moment.

Back