Intel: AMD Is Throttling Ryzen Performance When Running On Battery

This must be part of that lifestyle testing suite from Intel.

I live where it very much does now, and have all my life.

Unless you live where they never plow and you get multiple feet of snow, SUV's are a liability in the snow, not a benefit.

I always see SUV's stuck at the side of the road or in the ditch, as I drive by in my low sedan :p
Too many SUV's with "traction control" and "all-season" tires, be like Traction control only works when there is traction 0 traction still means 0 control, I see a lot of people in ditches come winter, and sadly a lot of obituaries. But I could not say that SUV's are any more prone to ending up in ditches than Trucks, or sedans, it all comes down to driver education and skill and having the proper equipment. Vehicles now are automated to a point where you don't need to think about too much and that is absolutely great until you get into edge scenarios where that automation is not able to compensate and the driver must react properly and quickly. But yes I do get a kick watching a little fiesta with its studded 14" tires drive along like it's a sun-shiny day while the F350's, SUVs, and other larger vehicles slide all over because of their poor tire selections.

Too many SUV's with "traction control" and "all-season" tires, be like Traction control only works when there is traction 0 traction still means 0 control, I see a lot of people in ditches come winter, and sadly a lot of obituaries. But I could not say that SUV's are any more prone to ending up in ditches than Trucks, or sedans, it all comes down to driver education and skill and having the proper equipment. Vehicles now are automated to a point where you don't need to think about too much and that is absolutely great until you get into edge scenarios where that automation is not able to compensate and the driver must react properly and quickly. But yes I do get a kick watching a little fiesta with its studded 14" tires drive along like it's a sun-shiny day while the F350's, SUVs, and other larger vehicles slide all over because of their poor tire selections.

Yeah, way off topic, but I always get a kick out of it as well.

It's I'd argue they key too good snow performance is highly in having the right tires, as well as having good weight distribution across all four wheels. Front heavy trucks are generally screwed. There is no reason SUV's can't be OK in the snow. The higher ground clearance is a mixed blessing. It is helpful in unplowed deep snow, but in more shallow snow where slipperiness is the main concern, they are at a vehicle dynamics disadvantage compared to a lower more balanced vehicle. The biggest problem with SUV's in the snow is probably overconfidence.

Again, tires tires tires. Too many people put a crazy amount of faith in their AWD, when the truth is, all it accomplishes is helps getting you going. If driving in snow and ice, I'd always pick FWD or RWD cars with proper winter tires over an AWD car with "all seasons". (Though I'd rather have both AWD AND Snow tires)

Anyway, time to move on before there are any more off-topic warnings.

Last edited:
Yeah, way off topic, but I always get a kick out of it as well.

It's I'd argue they key too good snow performance is highly in haveing the right tires, as well as having good weight distribution across all four wheels. Front heavy trucks are generally screwed. There is no reason SUV's can't be OK in the snow. The higher ground clearance is a mixed blessing. It is helpful in unplowed deep snow, but in more shallow snow where slipperiness is the main concern, they are at a vehicle dynamics disadvantage compared to a lower more balanced vehicle.

Again, tires tires tires. Too many people put a crazy amount of faith in their AWD, when the truth is, all it accomplishes is helps getting you going. If driving in snow and ice, I'd always pick FWD or RWD cars with proper winter tires over an AWD car with "all seasons". (Though I'd rather have both AWD AND Snow tires)

Anyway, time to move on before there are any more off-topic warnings.
I love my Cooper at3 4s tires with their snowflake rating :)

Sometime I wonder in which context people use high power CPU task (that would make a cinebench benchmark relevant) on a Laptop, a unplugged laptop even more.

People that backpack film in the wild, render on location and upload very low quality via satellite phone but needed to do the render really fast ?
The only place I WOULD, if my company would actually buy one, would be with a mobile/handheld 3D scanning system; when used at the customer site/plant/install.

The only place I WOULD, if my company would actually buy one, would be with a mobile/handheld 3D scanning system; when used at the customer site/plant/install.
In my experience, it involved filming something and wanting to get it into premiere to throw a lut on it and play it back, not necessarily render it out. Still fairly cpu intensive if you want to playback at full framerate and res.

We have something similar to that for the Forestry topographical mapping software and Search and Rescue stuff that is used for the outdoor classes, but all of it is now very nicely handled with an iPad not even the pro's just a straight-up iPad used with a cellular data plan and they are more than capable of providing the needed performance to get the jobs done, while having great battery life, light, and with a good case robust and reliable for a far cheaper cost than the Toughbooks were. All while being so easy to charge and power that simple solar battery packs or a 12v adapter for the trucks are more than capable of keeping them going for days at a time.

I think we have long since reached a tipping point where laptops and mobile systems are powerful enough for how mobile devices tend to be used, I doubt there are many users who would risk some massive Blender render on battery and general office productivity software or web browsing doesn't need more than a small % of the CPU/GPU if it throttles down and gets an extra 15-30 minutes more battery life with no perceivable difference to the user for 99% of the average use cases then I would call that good battery management.

We have something similar to that for the Forestry topographical mapping software and Search and Rescue stuff that is used for the outdoor classes, but all of it is now very nicely handled with an iPad not even the pro's just a straight-up iPad used with a cellular data plan and they are more than capable of providing the needed performance to get the jobs done, while having great battery life, light, and with a good case robust and reliable for a far cheaper cost than the Toughbooks were. All while being so easy to charge and power that simple solar battery packs or a 12v adapter for the trucks are more than capable of keeping them going for days at a time.

I think we have long since reached a tipping point where laptops and mobile systems are powerful enough for how mobile devices tend to be used, I doubt there are many users who would risk some massive Blender render on battery and general office productivity software or web browsing doesn't need more than a small % of the CPU/GPU if it throttles down and gets an extra 15-30 minutes more battery life with no perceivable difference to the user for 99% of the average use cases then I would call that good battery management.
Different ballpark, different ballgame entirely. I'm talking about something like this:

Zeiss T-Scan hawk

After you collect the point cloud data (which takes 20-30Gb of ram for something as simple as a Ryobi drill); it can take minutes on a high end laptop for it to stitch together and mesh the point cloud into a useable model. I'd be surprised if it could even run on an iPad.

Now extrapolate that out to when I'd have to do an entire packaging machine, and capture some of the fixed plant layout data. We had started shopping for Threadripper laptops after seeing some demo's of these types of scanners.

Different ballpark, different ballgame entirely. I'm talking about something like this:

Zeiss T-Scan hawk

After you collect the point cloud data (which takes 20-30Gb of ram for something as simple as a Ryobi drill); it can take minutes on a high end laptop for it to stitch together and mesh the point cloud into a useable model. I'd be surprised if it could even run on an iPad.

Now extrapolate that out to when I'd have to do an entire packaging machine, and capture some of the fixed plant layout data. We had started shopping for Threadripper laptops after seeing some demo's of these types of scanners.
Ah.... yeah different scale.

Back