Intel: AMD Is Throttling Ryzen Performance When Running On Battery

Marees

[H]ard|Gawd
Headline is from wccftech
Report below is from semi accurate (which seems pretty accurate in this instance)

There are a few conclusions you can draw from Intel’s release today, Intel is faster on some single threaded apps and loses less performance when moving to DC power. AMD has better overall battery life and better multi-threaded performance. The AC/DC performance is due to tuning parameters while the single/multi-threaded performance is due to the devices themselves. In the end a buyer should chose what matters to them the most, but consider all the data carefully, and add a lot more benchmarks to the mix before you make your purchase

https://www.semiaccurate.com/2020/11/23/intel-looks-at-laptop-power-usage/

AMD tuned their laptops to slow down clock ramp/turbo/whatever by a few seconds to save energy when on battery power. Delaying spikes in performance is a valid tuning tool that has up sides and down sides depending on your workloads.

Intel then goes on to show that on workloads with bursty performance profiles, the AMD CPUs ramp performance up well while on AC but the delay means they miss the spikes on DC hampering performance.

If you look at multi-threaded performance on the right however, you will see that AMD absolutely destroys Intel and loses effectively no performance on DC power.

The take home message here is if you run exclusively single threaded content creation tools, Intel rocks. Multi-threaded, AMD is 50% faster.

From HardwareTimes :

...all these tests are favored by lower latency which is where Intel parts have an advantage due to their monolithic design.

When it comes to relevant content creation benchmarks, the Ryzen CPUs don’t really show a deficit upon switching to the battery, and here they are nearly twice as fast compared to the closest Intel Tiger Lake-U rivals.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/intel...yzen-4000-apus/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

In our testing, however, we found that the Ryzen 9 4900U (Zephyrus G14) does show a notable drop of roughly 1,000 points (Cinebench !?) on battery, but it’s still much faster than anything Intel has to offer.

Sometime I wonder in which context people use high power CPU task (that would make a cinebench benchmark relevant) on a Laptop, a unplugged laptop even more.

People that backpack film in the wild, render on location and upload very low quality via satellite phone but needed to do the render really fast ?

High end Intel based dells are almost unusable on battery. The 6 core I had would go down to 800mhz on load. Msi was much better. I think this is up to the oem, not the cpu manufacturer.

"SemiAccurate thinks these measurements are both fair and true, AMD tuned their parts the way they did for a reason, Intel tuned their parts the way they did for a reason. Given that the devices are effectively at idle for the overwhelming majority of the test, coupled with real world results, it doesn’t look like the end result is user visible performance changes."

Sometime I wonder in which context people use high power CPU task (that would make a cinebench benchmark relevant) on a Laptop, a unplugged laptop even more.

People that backpack film in the wild, render on location and upload very low quality via satellite phone but needed to do the render really fast ?

Same reason people buy SUV's.

Because they CAN go off road.

They may never do it. But now they feel they can!

Removing a perceived limitation, even if that limitation was never really significant in the first place.

It's aspirational!

Removing a perceived limitation, even if that limitation was never really significant in the first place.

It's aspirational!

Arn't you the same guy that poo poo'd overclocking fpr benchmarks in the other thread?

Loor intel, grasping onto final straws...😢
Intel will always be remembered as a formidable foe. The power of many years is finally cming to an end. Remove blue shackles nd wear the red crown, dear hard user!! You deserve this after all these years of captivity!!

The Ryzen 7 4800U inside the Lenovo IdeaPad 7 does not always run more slowly when the machine is on battery in battery saver mode. This system is often slightly faster on-battery than when running on AC. It’s not much — a few percent — but it’s consistent. At a guess, turboing less often actually allows the CPU to hold a slightly more consistent overall frequency, improving performance.

Cinebench R23 also doesn’t show the 30-48 percent pattern of decline Intel claims. Neither does Corona Render. Neither does Handbrake. Neither does JetStream 2. Neither does Blender 2.90. Neither does the Blender 1.0Beta2 benchmark (not shown, but I ran it).

JetStream 2, PCMark, and NeatBench are the three benchmarks that ran more slowly on the Ryzen 7 4800U on battery. PCMark and NeatBench fall into the range Intel described

However, Intel's previous gen Ice Lake Core i7-1065G7, performs worse than AMD zen2;
the Core i7-1065G7’s sustained performance can drop to 33-50 percent of its sustained AC performance.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-huge-ryzen-4000-performance-drops-on-battery

Ultimately, the OEM decides to what degree they’re going to target performance versus power consumption, and they often don’t go out of their way to communicate why an HP version of a system might have better or worse battery life than a nearly identical Lenovo with the same CPU.

Even if the graphs above fairly represent the performance of two of the AMD systems Intel tested, the settings that control the amount of time before turbo modes engage and the overall performance delta between AC and DC power are settings that the OEM controls, not AMD. The slide below from AMD lists performance on AC versus DC power as an OEM-tunable option.

At one time, I had a laptop that was so overbuilt and over-provisioned that it could its CD burner fairly easily off of its battery. I also fondly remember how that computer had hot swappable batteries, if I was willing to temporarily forgo using the burner.

I sometimes miss laptops like that, and the nearly dozen pounds it weighed including the spare battery (but not counting the portable printer) meant I got good exercise carrying it in my laptop backpack along with my textbooks.

I have a lenovo legion with a 4800h in front of me tonight. I will run some cinebench and see how much slower it is on battery vs plugged in.

It's aspirational!

Lol...sitting here looking at my TRD Offroad 4Runner that I've taken off road exactly once ;).

Lol...sitting here looking at my TRD Offroad 4Runner that I've taken off road exactly once ;).
ready for the zombie apocalypse at least! We know it's coming sooner or later!

Anyway, tested the Lenovo Legion 5 laptop with AMD Ryzen 4800h and 16GB ddr4 3200. Cinebench R23 results below.

Plugged in:
mutlicore - 11034
single core - 1242

Battery:
multicore - 8593
single core - 1190

28% faster multi, 4% faster single when plugged in. Still completely usable as far as I'm concerned; find me an intel based laptop doing nearly 8600 in r23. That would be the 9980HK (8370, 1186), except the AMD is on battery. ;)

Thanks Intel for that information .. now I'll be sure to never buy AMD stuff again due to this new formed knowledge because whatever it is they are doing, it must be bad if you are telling me about it .. :cautious:

LOL, I've read it as Amd it trolling Ryzen Performance. It might as well feel like that for Intel.

I use it, many times. On smaller projects that don't warrant packing up a whole workstation, and demonstration projects for prospected clients, when you need to process data on site.

What laptop doesn't throttle performance while on battery? I'm not talking about people who turn off power saving features.

Maybe I'm horribly mistaken but isn't it normal when running on battery that a laptop throttles performance in order to increase battery life? And isn't battery life one of the selling points of most laptops????

You can add varying amounts of sarcasm to those last two hypothetical questions.

a laptop throttles performance in order to increase battery life
Actually, when it comes to high performance laptops, throttling power draw ensures that the battery does not die a fiery death. The common types of Li-Ion batteries in laptops (LCO and NMC) do not allow for very high currents.
Battery types that would allow higher currents exist (LFP), but are not popular in laptops and have lower energy density.

I guess it’s even more strange that they’re pointing out that the AMD processors are still faster in some situations anyways?

like what are they trying to show here? That AMD is a viable alternative in the mobile space all the way from budget to high end workloads, which they previously had not been?

For intel's sake - I hope Intel Fab and Chip engineers are working half as hard as their PR people are.

Apple is gonna drag you intel if you start bragging about battery life.

I use it, many times. On smaller projects that don't warrant packing up a whole workstation, and demonstration projects for prospected clients, when you need to process data on site.
That is the scenario I had in mind, demo on location that it is cool to not plug yourself in the wall that require big performance, what percentage of people that buy those need that ?

Projects that require lot of cpu power that do not warrant packing up a while workstation is different that do not warrant to plug the laptop when you use it on the client location/hotel room.

That is the scenario I had in mind, demo on location that it is cool to not plug yourself in the wall that require big performance, what percentage of people that buy those need that ?

Projects that require lot of cpu power that do not warrant packing up a while workstation is different that do not warrant to plug the laptop when you use it on the client location/hotel room.
Small project and demo project are one and the same technically, the only difference that you do one in front of a client in their office, and the other probably in a hotel room. Of course plugging in is usually possible in both cases.

Headlines Headlines Read All About It!!!

AMD slows its clockspeed in order to save laptop battery life!

In other news,

SmartSelect_20201124-132955_Firefox.jpg

Uh, don't all laptops run in a more power conserving mode when not plugged in?
Depends on the laptop. My experience has been windows based laptops go into a bit of a limp mode when on battery. The MBP 16... Keeps pushing forward like it was never unplugged.
Edit: The 4900HS in the G14 does well while on battery. Was very surprised to get 8 hours out of a 8 core/2060 thin machine.

AMD doesn't make laptops. This is an option given to OEMs that do make laptops, and they seemingly opt to utilize it in order to get better battery life. This is at-best a bullet-point in a sales pitch for intel, but they decided it was worth its own special press conference. This reeks of desperation. C'mon intel, it's time to be competitive again.

AT least they arent paying off OEMs (this time)?
or are they?
probably, intel has had a lot of bad press lately, wouldn't be surprised if they pulled out all the stops on semi-legal and straight out illegal shens.

It's aspirational!
You must live where it doesn't snow.

I agree with the over buying concept when it comes to computers though.

You must live where it doesn't snow.

I agree with the over buying concept when it comes to computers though.

I live where it very much does now, and have all my life.

Unless you live where they never plow and you get multiple feet of snow, SUV's are a liability in the snow, not a benefit.

I always see SUV's stuck at the side of the road or in the ditch, as I drive by in my low sedan :p

Back