Intel 9260 wifi M2 adapter - Sloooooow ?

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I've having a real problem here with my installed Intel 9260 wifi M2 adapter.

My download plan in 100Mbps.

Modem/Router: Motorola 7315
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Pro wifi ITX with the B450 chipset

Using a TP Link USB 3 wifi dongle I can get over 100Mbps download.
Using the M2 internal Intel 9260, I'm getting around 30-45Mbps. Many times it's down in the teens and single digits.

Anyone have any idea what going on?

Does it have an external antenna?
Yes, the one that came with the MB and I bought two small external antenna's for it, one for each connection, but they screw in right at the back of the M2 MB connection, not remote like the included antenna. When I initially tested it, the smaller individual antennas actually performed better.

I also have a TP link dongle that was getting me 110Mbps, which is my max plan, through the same router/modem. To night, not so much, about 45Mbps, and my Intel M2 is doing about the same.

However, I've always had a problem using the Intel M2 card in that when streaming BT and doing a speed test, my download speeds would drop by 50%. I wish I had another router. I'm beginning to think this is a router issue.

Like right now, I'm getting 50-55Mbps using the USB 3 TP link Dongle, but it did give me 110Mbps a couple of days ago. The Intel M2 never did that. It's erratic.

Right now again, the Intel 9620 is giving me about the same.

Ethernet is 110Mbps solid right now.

When I do an Okla test using wifi the pings are always about 11-18ms to the test server. Ethernet was just 3ms. That's another reason I think the router is bad. It shouldn't have that much overhead.

Hmm have you tried taking the card out and reseating it, and reconnecting the pigtails? Sounds like a signal problem.

Hmm have you tried taking the card out and reseating it, and reconnecting the pigtails? Sounds like a signal problem.
I was seriously thinking about doing that. However, even my USB adapters have dropped off 70-80%. Motorola said they were going to credit my account through Amazon. On the market to buy another router/modem. I started a new thread for suggestions.

If you have a hard wired machine on the network try setting up iperf 3 it can show you actual throughput without using internet.

So, I had this same type of problem I discussed in another thread. I solved the problem.

First, around six month or so ago after getting my new rig running, I noticed that while streaming music from my rig to my BT amp and running a speed test on the 2.4Ghz frequency, my download speed would be cut in half or so.

I'm using an internal Intel M2 WifiAC/BT5 card. Someone said it was because both BT and wifi use the same band, and that was causing interference with the card. He suggested using 5Ghz for WiFi. That made sense, but I couldn't believe streaming a 128kpbs stream would halve the wifi download speed. I mean, what kind of bullshit design in a card is that, especially from Intel?

Anyway, My combo Motorola modem/router only had 2.4Ghz. So, I just lived with it.

Recently, my WiFi speeds were incurring a heavier ping time and had really degraded download speeds, even if I weren't streaming BT music. I tested it with my USB adapters and confirmed the same thing.

After contacting Motorola, they decided the router was bad and just a couple days ago issued a refund.

So, for those who might have the same problem, use a 5Ghz band.

I just installed a new router with the 5Ghz band, and confirmed that I am getting full download speeds now even when streaming BT, and on 2.4Ghz, the same type of problem. However, I can still get full 2.4Ghz download speed if BT isn't running. (It was a bad router, but the Intel card has issues too).

Do you guys think something is actually wrong with the Intel card, other than the band itself?

Probably not. When something is transmitting on the same frequency band, you can consider that noise for anything else listening on that band. The more noise there is, the harder it is for receivers to receive the signal they are actually listening for. There will be more dropped packets, which will result in reduced performance.

That would be the case with any device, whether it were bluetooth, a wireless mouse/kb, or another router transmitting on the same band. It was probably particularly bad in your case, because the bt and wifi antannae were right next to each other on your PC, so any time the BT transmitted it was going directly (or reflecting, almost directly) into the wifi antenna.

Probably not. When something is transmitting on the same frequency band, you can consider that noise for anything else listening on that band. The more noise there is, the harder it is for receivers to receive the signal they are actually listening for. There will be more dropped packets, which will result in reduced performance.

That would be the case with any device, whether it were bluetooth, a wireless mouse/kb, or another router transmitting on the same band. It was probably particularly bad in your case, because the bt and wifi antannae were right next to each other on your PC, so any time the BT transmitted it was going directly (or reflecting, almost directly) into the wifi antenna.
After polling my gateway I'm not getting any dropped packets using 2.4Ghz band with BT streaming. So, it must be something else casusing that BT/2.4Ghz slowdown with the Intel M.2 adapter. You would think Intel would insulate that better.

After polling my gateway I'm not getting any dropped packets using 2.4Ghz band with BT streaming. So, it must be something else casusing that BT/2.4Ghz slowdown with the Intel M.2 adapter. You would think Intel would insulate that better.
What does cpu usage look like when you're using bt and streaming? Can't imagine they're using one thread for bt and wifi, or that it'd cause an issue even if they were, but it is a possibility. Might have to show system processes to see the one(s) handling network and bt.

What does cpu usage look like when you're using bt and streaming? Can't imagine they're using one thread for bt and wifi, or that it'd cause an issue even if they were, but it is a possibility. Might have to show system processes to see the one(s) handling network and bt.
Well, I'm streaming BT right now using 5Ghz band and it says 1%. I changed to 2.4 and got the same CPU usage at 1%. What is strange is that even if there are two wireless APs in the same room using 2.4, that doesn't cut speed 2/3. It must have something do with either the Intel adapter's electronics or how the MB works it. Either way, using the 2.4Ghz band and streaming BT, my download speeds are cut 60%+. No problems using the 5Ghz band. I could test it using a USB dongle for wifi and the Intel card's BT and see what happens. I think I did that and the problem went away. And, I just tested that hypothesis.

I used a 5/2.4 TP Link dongle plugged into the back on MB's USB 3.0 port, and connected to my router's 2.4 band.
Made sure no other WiFi connection was active.
Streaming BT using the Intel M.2 adapter.

And--full download speed.

So, it's either the Intel card or the handling of WiFi through the MB, or both.

Back