Intel 6950X.... what will I get?

I ordered an Intel 6950x from China - what will I get?

• A 6950x or course

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • A Dorrito... yum!

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • A refund from eBay

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • The Wuhan Flu

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Not a CPU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A really old CPU

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • Defective masks

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • You don't want to know

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • A huge hole in your heart

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
Sooo... I ordered a used Intel 6950x off of eBay from China for $78 from a person claiming that they upgraded to a new AMD setup. What are my chances I get a working 6950x?

The pictures in the post were of an actual 6950x. The seller also shipped it the next day.

I'll close the poll and reveal what I actually got once it gets here.

You know as well as we all do you aren't getting an actual 6950X for that price lol. You'll more than likely get some old Sandy Bridge E chip like the i7 3930K

If you are lucky, maybe a re-labeled Xeon; Something like a E5-2630L v3. Maybe it will even "work".

You know as well as we all do you aren't getting an actual 6950X for that price lol. You'll more than likely get some old Sandy Bridge E chip like the i7 3930K
Probably not even that good. My vote is an i7 920 that doesn't even work.

Well, whatever it is, the package has already arrived in New York so I am guessing it will be here no later than next week.

Sooo... everybody who voted that I would get a refund from eBay was correct.

The day after I made the poll, I went to check the tracking and eBay was showing that the seller was no longer a registered user. The account had been active since last year so maybe it was a hacked account.

The scammer didn't even ship it to my address. They sent whatever it was to somewhere in Kansas.

After thinking about it, here is what I think happened.

1. Scammer in Kansas set up an eBay account and pretended to be in China.
2. Scammer then lists item for sale on their Chinese eBay account
3. Once item sells, they order something for really cheap from China so they get a tracking number
4. Scammer then adds that tracking number to the scam sale so the buyer sees a tracking number

Seems like ti would be pretty easy to track down these type of scammers if that is really the case unless they use a different address to have goods delivered to.

Tracking does say that it was delivered and left with individual... so somebody got a package - probably the scammer.

Edit: Here are the final poll results.... just in case somebody else votes after this:
poll.PNG

Last edited:
So looks like another case of too good to be true by a scammer. well at least you didnt get ripped off.

Damn, I was hoping to see what you got! lol.

The sad part is, I doubt ebay will even pursue it outside the refund you got, it is simply not worth their time in the scheme of things. The individual will probably just do the same thing again on another account. :(

You can get a legit retail 6950X for about $300 from China including shipping. I just got mine couple weeks ago for my 10 core comparison Youtube video. It has minimal sign of wear and it's working perfectly. The seller also has 7920X for about $350 but it's 12 core and I don't need it for the video. I wouldn't recommend getting one yourself tho, unless you have some Chinese friend to help you with the process.

Sooo... everybody who voted that I would get a refund from eBay was correct.

The day after I made the poll, I went to check the tracking and eBay was showing that the seller was no longer a registered user. The account had been active since last year so maybe it was a hacked account.

The scammer didn't even ship it to my address. They sent whatever it was to somewhere in Kansas.

After thinking about it, here is what I think happened.

1. Scammer in Kansas set up an eBay account and pretended to be in China.
2. Scammer then lists item for sale on their Chinese eBay account
3. Once item sells, they order something for really cheap from China so they get a tracking number
4. Scammer then adds that tracking number to the scam sale so the buyer sees a tracking number

Seems like ti would be pretty easy to track down these type of scammers if that is really the case unless they use a different address to have goods delivered to.

Tracking does say that it was delivered and left with individual... so somebody got a package - probably the scammer.

Edit: Here are the final poll results.... just in case somebody else votes after this:

Good you got your money back I had someone do something similar to me on eBay. They shipped a bogus package to the same zip code but different address and it ended up being really difficult to get someone at the post office to provide proof it wasn't delivered to my address given that the zip code was the same. After a lot of back and forth, I was able to get proof eBay found acceptable (written statement from FedEx). They also made me file a police report to get the refund. It was a lot of hassle and I probably wouldn't have even bothered but the item was $500 that I purchased. Account looked fine, so was probably hacked.

Just mentioning this as I've seen people say getting a refund from PayPal/eBay is always a slam dunk as a buyer - not the case! If something looks too good to be true I definitely wouldn't buy it. Refunds aren't guaranteed unless you want to waste a lot of your time.

What i have got mine on ebay for cheap not from China. Running it on Asus 10 edition x99. Hope you get what was paid for.

Back