Intel 3165 No bluetooth...?

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
I'm on Ubuntu 20.04 with all updates, kernel 5.4.0-29-generic.

I am using a spare 3165NGW in a pci-e adapter for wifi with 2 antennas. Wifi works great. Bluetooth (which is supposed to be on this model) doesn't show up anywhere. Motherboard is ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 w/ 32G ram. Since this is a desktop box, no wifi/bluetooth settings in bios.

Anyone have this working?

Code:
rob@box:~$ rfkill list
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no

rob@box:~$ lspci | grep -i 3165
0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)

rob@box:~$ dmesg | grep -i 3165
[    0.231658] ACPI: (supports S0 S3 S4 S5)
[    0.269171] pci 0000:0c:00.0: [8086:3165] type 00 class 0x028000
[   36.757066] iwlwifi 0000:0c:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 3165, REV=0x210

With that being said, buying a new adapter (like 95/96xx or AX200) isn't out of the question, but befor eI do that, does anyone have bluetooth+wifi working in those?

95xx series has great Bluetooth on Linux, used on laptop and desktop versions without issue (Logitech Bluetooth peripherals). Tested with Pop_Os! 20.04 already, no worries.

Have an AX200 card right here, haven't bothered to put it in anything... laptop I bought it for will require some modification, and I don't have a compatible access point yet.

These things are quite cheap online, so something newer would probably work better.

Check for USB devices, since the BT is enumerated over M.2 A (or E, idr)'s USB pins (not the PCIe - that is used by the WiFi). Same was true for the miniPCIe era.

That being said, has it worked in other OSes? Intel does sell cards with BT disabled, for corporate use. IIRC, they are hard to tell apart from regular cards.

Check for USB devices, since the BT is enumerated over M.2 A (or E, idr)'s USB pins (not the PCIe - that is used by the WiFi). Same was true for the miniPCIe era.

That being said, has it worked in other OSes? Intel does sell cards with BT disabled, for corporate use. IIRC, they are hard to tell apart from regular cards.
I don't have another OS on that box to try. lsusb doesn't show anything interesting either.

Edit: Bluetooth was in the amazon product description but not on the sticker. How can I tell if it is lacking bluetooth?

Last edited:
I don't have another OS on that box to try.
Go toss 16.04 LTS on a stick and boot that up to see if the hardware is there but the driver has been removed. I'll note that this is highly unlikely.

Better to spend a few bucks on a new card and not worry about it for another decade IMO.

Go toss 16.04 LTS on a stick and boot that up to see if the hardware is there but the driver has been removed. I'll note that this is highly unlikely.

Better to spend a few bucks on a new card and not worry about it for another decade IMO.
You can get a USB wifi from Ebay for 2 dollars. I tried one, worked perfectly.

The best choice over here is to get a Wifi-and-Bluetooth peripheral that would work better.
Just get a widely used model that is supported whole-heartedly by the whole Linux community, not just Ubuntu.

Most m.2 E/A adapters I’ve seen have a cable that has to be connected to the motherboard’s USB header. If you do t have that cable BT won’t work.

I ended up replacing this system with one that had wifi/bt built in. It was a fun experiment I guess.

Back