Installing Windows today, Win 10 or 11?

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
if you were installing windows today on your ryzen system, what are you going with and why?

i got a new mb and i am going to be doing a clean install of windows. i am thinking 10 because i have seen some performance issues with win 11. option's?

I am on Windows 11 with 0 issues on a 5950X on an X570 chipset. I would go with Windows 11. If you do not want the extra security features like VBS (which eat maybe 3~5% performance), then you can simply disable them and forget about it once it is installed.

Comparing my CPU and gaming benchmarks of Windows 10 vs. Windows 11, things perform exactly the same for me. Actually, because I did a fresh install, Windows 11 performed slightly better in some games, but within a margin of reboot error IMO.

For me, having AutoHDR is awesome and worth it. Since i have been using Windows 11 for about a month, I have come to enjoy it.

people on win11, do you have aida installed?

Windows 11 - Ran this week.
cachemem_5950x_3740_3_CstatesON_Win11.png

Windows 10 - Ran a few months back
cachemem_5950x_3740_2_CstatesON.png

Assuming you would be asking for this next... lol. As you can see, runs perfectly on Windows 11. Matches my scores on Windows 10, although memory latency is about 2~3ms higher on Windows 11 with the security settings enabled (on when I took this).

Last edited:
win 11
1666114630890.png

win 10
1666115075653.png

same pc, with a dual boot. i still see the l3 bug. i can run that test 10 times and get 10 very different results for l3. ive tried every bios/chipset driver and every version of win 11 (22h2 in screenshot).

win 11
View attachment 519473
win 10
View attachment 519477
same pc, with a dual boot. i still see the l3 bug. i can run that test 10 times and get 10 very different results for l3. ive tried every bios/chipset driver and every version of win 11 (22h2 in screenshot).
Posted my Windows 10 one as well for comparison (although a few months old). Actually, my L3 performs better in Windows 11... lol.

What AGESA version are you on?

Are your results with VBS & Windows Hypervisor On or Off?

1.2.0.7 should be fine and have the fTPM fix, so you should be good there. However, I did hear 1.2.0.7 has the voltage/boosting bug with EDC > 140A still, so I have stuck with 1.2.0.5 which has given me the best performance I have ever had on this chip, plus I still have no fTMP stutter and no USB issues.

if you were installing windows today on your ryzen system, what are you going with and why?

i got a new mb and i am going to be doing a clean install of windows. i am thinking 10 because i have seen some performance issues with win 11. option's?
Anyone else having issues with VPNs and windows 11. Win 11 seems to "leak" your data while you are bound to a VPN, at least in my instance WIn11 left a portion of the traffic open, creating 2 NICs while my VPN was active. One going straight to the internet and one on the VPN.

It was odd, I only have one NIC in the system and Win 11 created 2. Normally local internet access is suspended an it was not on my Win11 machine.

Had to build a headless Win10 system to run my VPN reliably

FYI

Otherwise Windows 11 is nice. Don't forget that any old Windows 7 COA key will activate either a home or Pro version of Windows 11 (I used a Windows 7 Pro code twice now).

wonder if its a bios bug?
It also looks like you are on an older version of AIDA64. FWIW, the newest version warns you if you have Memory Integrity (Core Isolation) and Windows Hypervisor (VBS) on.... if you do, it states that it can affect L3 values. I am willing to bet you have these settings on. If you can run the newest version of AIDA64 in Windows 11, see if it gives you the warning message, if so, that is your problem.

There is no reason not to at least try Windows 11. Opinions vary, but nothing beats making up your own mind.

Windows 11 generally handles newer processors better. This is critical when it comes to newer Intel CPUs to make sure that load is correctly distributed between the P-cores and the E-cores (so that your game doesn't end up on an E-core, etc). It also applies to a lesser extent with some Ryzen chips. A CPU such as the 5950X is made up of two 8-core CCDs connected together via infinity fabric. Communicating across the infinity fabric incurs a latency penalty and can reduce performance. In most cases you will get better performance keeping a program/game on the same CCD (unless it can take advantage of more cores than are available on one CCD) so that it doesn't have to communicate across the infinity fabric. Windows 11 is better able assign programs/games to the optimal cores compared to Windows 10.

If you install 10, won't you be nagged to death to install 11 and eventually have it upgrade on its own ?

If you install 10, won't you be nagged to death to install 11 and eventually have it upgrade on its own ?
it doesnt just upgrade on its own (at least not that I know of in a while.. like Win 10 did for some users back in the day)

Pretty sure I had both mine and my wife's machine say something like "windows 11 has been downloaded and is ready to install, click here to install" but hey I don't want to open up that discussion here.

I was asking myself this question a few months ago for my new build. I was mainly concerned with compatibility issues on 11 because it's fairly new and a lot of the software I use mentions Win 10 compatibility but doesn't say anything about 11. That said, it doesn't seem to be a problem though. Stuff runs great.

Probably a reason people might have to stick with Win 10 could be the strong push for a digital account on Win 11 (it's slowly becoming non-optional). That said, there is still a fairly easy way around this on Win 11 Pro during install, although this might be more of an issue if you are planning on using Home.

My thoughts were basically that I expect Windows 11 to be supported for longer and I plan on using my computer for 10 years, as a result, it makes sense to go with what will have the longest support window possible which is 11. After another 5 years or so, Win 10 is going to be like Windows 7 is today which isn't to say that it is unusable, but as an active Windows 7 user I can attest to the limitations of an unsupported OS becoming more and more evident each year.

I was asking myself this question a few months ago for my new build. I was mainly concerned with compatibility issues on 11 because it's fairly new and a lot of the software I use mentions Win 10 compatibility but doesn't say anything about 11. That said, it doesn't seem to be a problem though. Stuff runs great.

Probably a reason people might have to stick with Win 10 could be the strong push for a digital account on Win 11 (it's slowly becoming non-optional). That said, there is still a fairly easy way around this on Win 11 Pro during install, although this might be more of an issue if you are planning on using Home.

My thoughts were basically that I expect Windows 11 to be supported for longer and I plan on using my computer for 10 years, as a result, it makes sense to go with what will have the longest support window possible which is 11. After another 5 years or so, Win 10 is going to be like Windows 7 is today which isn't to say that it is unusable, but as an active Windows 7 user I can attest to the limitations of an unsupported OS becoming more and more evident each year.
I did a fresh Install of Windows 11 only a month ago and never had an issue bypassing the online account. If I recall, it was as simple as selecting something like "Do not setup at this time"... followed by "Use a Local Account". No silly bypass and i used the media create tool for my install. Version is Windows 11 Pro. Maybe Home has those issues?

Pretty sure I had both mine and my wife's machine say something like "windows 11 has been downloaded and is ready to install, click here to install" but hey I don't want to open up that discussion here.

To prevent that issue just disable your TPM.

I did a fresh Install of Windows 11 only a month ago and never had an issue bypassing the online account. If I recall, it was as simple as selecting something like "Do not setup at this time"... followed by "Use a Local Account". No silly bypass and i used the media create tool for my install. Version is Windows 11 Pro. Maybe Home has those issues?
from what i recall, cuz i am not running win11 at this time, is that it will keep asking you over and over again about creating an account. I think there is a reg key for it to stop doing that.
oh right now i recall... my Surface Pro 1 (original) auto upgraded to Win11 and keeps asking me. I gotta find that key..

I have Win10 on everything. My framework laptop, my gaming rig, the Ryzen mini-PC I bought my Mom from here o the [H]. I really dislike the 11 interface. That being said, I'm starting to see that sooner or later I won't have a choice. I may install 11 soon and just get the pain over with.

Win 10 until I am forced to move to something else. I have played with 11 and I don't love the gui changes. And yeah there is a workaround to use a local account, just google it. I does involve a reg key I think.

so i just got around to changing out mbs and reinstalling windows. i went with win11 latest version. so this mb has a dedicated tpm chip. i enabled that and disabled the ftpm on the cpu. so far everything is on par with win10. other people on win11 are you using tpm or ftpm?

so i just got around to changing out mbs and reinstalling windows. i went with win11 latest version. so this mb has a dedicated tpm chip. i enabled that and disabled the ftpm on the cpu. so far everything is on par with win10. other people on win11 are you using tpm or ftpm?
I use firmware tpm, no issues.

I just use the fTPM on my chip. I have had 0 issues and never had the fTMP stuttering others have had.

Most of the computers that I run Windows 11 on don't even have TPM, with Windows 11 having been installed by bypassing the requirements.

There really aren't many things that make use of TPM at this point. If you use Bitlocker, then TPM can make it easier so you aren't having to type in a Bitlocker password every time you boot up your computer. There is also "Windows Hello", which enables other login methods that don't use a password (fingerprint or facial recognition, etc).

Windows 10. I have no desire to suffer needlessly.

I use Sledgehammer to stop all update shenanigans like this.

Back