Inexpensive X570 MB for 5000 series and ECC

Aesma

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

I see people casually dropping 400-500 bucks on a mobo but to me this is inconceivable. It seems to me the Asrock range has good models for reasonable prices, basically any board in the range with 4 DIMM would be suitable for my use, and I might go for up to the Taichi price wise (I see it at 285€ in Europe). I will put a 5900X on it, or maybe a 5950X. Watercooled.

I need 64GB ECC on it. Asrock clearly says it supports ECC, and there is also a table about frequencies vs number of sticks, and ranks :

4xMatisse-3200-2667.png

I just learned about "rank interleaving". So I'm wondering if I go for 4*16GB single or dual rank, or 2*32GB dual rank, for best performance. 3200MHz. Memory I can find is Kingston or Micron.

Any ideas/experiences are welcome (with Zen 2 too, of course).

I see you recommended the RAM I'm looking at. As for registered memory, it's needed when you need massive amounts of memory, that the CPU memory controller can't deal with. ECC is unrelated to this. In fact I've read that ECC with the same chips as fast RAM can be run just as fast, including the timings.

There's a big gap between "supports ECC" and "actually does error correction." At least with the older X470/B450 boards, there were quite a few that "supported" ECC in the sense that ECC memory was tolerated, but no error correction happened. I haven't looked at the X570's but I'd expect it to be the same. Unfortunately the mobo specs hardly ever tell you whether error correction actually takes place, or if ECC is just permitted.

Yeah that's basically why I'm making a thread, to find people who already tried.

If I look at the Asus Pro WS X570-ACE : https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/
One of the key points in the description is
  • Reliable and responsive ECC memory suitable for mission critical tasks
It's also clearly mentioned on the tin for the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming X and Taichi.

Gigabyte Aorus Master : Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules*
* ECC mode

MSI cards say they support ECC RAM in non-ECC mode so they're excluded.

Last edited:
Just wondering if you found a board? I'd love to replace some old xeons with a new ryzen + ecc unbuffered. 32-64GB should be fine for my purposes.

I have an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 running a 3600 with 2x 32GB ECC sticks (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1) and ECC seemingly working on Windows 10 (haven't OC'd the RAM to confirm but wmic says it's on). I'd consider that to be a pretty cheap board.

I've read quite of bit of stuff and indeed that Asrock was in my shortlist. Also Gigabyte boards. Meanwhile I decided the X570 doesn't have enough PCIe lanes for my taste, even the ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace which offers the most possibilities would limit my use, so I'm going for another platform.

Thanks for your answers.

Yeah I'm in a similar boat as you. Need a RAID card, GPU and 10GbE+ NIC connected but with the PCIe configuration one of them is going to be running at lower speeds.

I have an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 running a 3600 with 2x 32GB ECC sticks (18ASF4G72AZ-3G2B1) and ECC seemingly working on Windows 10 (haven't OC'd the RAM to confirm but wmic says it's on). I'd consider that to be a pretty cheap board.

Have same board with 2X16 Kingston 3200 sticks to be paired with a 3100, hoping it's a simple Truenas build

Back