In the middle of work deadline, need a work MOBO ASAP, what to buy?

professional loser

Limp Gawd
Hi, I am a 3d artist and was using Asus Dark Hero$$ MOBO with AMD 5950X.
1 month ago the Ethernet port failed and just now the MOBO has failed with "4D" error. CPU red light on the MOBO is on too. I am in the middle of a project, so no time to do deep research as I need to assemble it fast by Monday :-(
I might pick a 5900x or 5950x, but I need to pair it with a MOBO, any solid reliable MOBO you can recommend? Two Ethernet ports would be nice too.

Any input?

ASUS ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING WIFI II​

MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI​

ASUS ProArt X570-Creator WiFi​

ASUS Rog Crosshair VIII Hero WI-FI​

Last edited:
I'm not having any trouble with an Asus ROG Strix B550. That's just one sample though. I've read good things about the X570 Tomahawk; if it has the features you need, I'd say go for that one.

Also a vote to stay clear of Asus. Switched to a MSI tomahawk also.
ASUS has truly bad customer service. However, their boards are very robust and the BIOS is updated frequently. So I don't think it's that black and white.

Do you need to get a new CPU? Can you just move the CPU from the failed board to the new one? RAM? Cooler?

Is your old board under warranty? You may as well send it in.

ASUS has truly bad customer service. However, their boards are very robust and the BIOS is updated frequently. So I don't think it's that black and white.

Do you need to get a new CPU? Can you just move the CPU from the failed board to the new one? RAM? Cooler?

Is your old board under warranty? You may as well send it in.

Well this morning the PC is booting (no 4d error, like last night). wtf? Can't trust this MOBO, ethernet port stopped working last month too.

MSI Tomahawk, I need to update the BIOS for it to work with 5900x/5950x, correct? Liek this-
https://www.mbreviews.com/update-msi-x570-bios-amd-zen3/

Well this morning the PC is booting (no 4d error, like last night). wtf? Can't trust this MOBO, ethernet port stopped working last month too.

MSI Tomahawk, I need to update the BIOS for it to work with 5900x/5950x, correct? Liek this-
https://www.mbreviews.com/update-msi-x570-bios-amd-zen3/
If you buy a board from any reputable retailer, and the stock is relatively new, you will have compatible bios. I think you'd have to buy a older stock board to get one not compatible.

I don't know much about that case. I personally will be upgrading to a Corsair 4000D when it drops back down to $80.
I have the tower version of that Fractal Meshify 2 case, it is excellent. Just large, but I might just get another one of the same.
Great board, just curious though, where did you order it from?
I live in Europe.

Ah, got it. Yeah, I haven't really seen that board in stock around here :)

I have 4 MSI AM4 boards, working on replacing a Ryzen 2000 gen board now made by Gigabyte that lost its bios flash for Ryzen 3000 when the cmos battery died and it was a cheap board $60 board back when the 2200g released, I didn't have a Ryzen 2000 cpu anymore, so I found an MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX board with bios flash back button brand new for $99 on newegg and the boards seem to be built like a Tomahawk with the vrm sinks

UPDATE-
Ended up buying the MSI Tomahawk and 5900x. I pulled the 5950x from the Asus Dark Hero MOBO along with the 64GB RAM, and it all runs fine on the MSI Tomahawk. Managed to finish my project and sent it to the client. Can breathe now :)
Will RMA the Asus Dark Hero MOBO.
Will probably return the unopened, 5900x CPU + 32GB RAM and then wait and jump on Ryzen 7000 bandwagon?
Thanks everyone ;-)

I been enjoying my MSI B550 Mortar / 5600x in PCI Express 4 and Sam with RX6600

Back