im kinda bored and been thinking.. need some opinions..

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
ive had this old iceburg II cooling kit sitting around in my garage for a few years.. was originally bought to water cool a socket A athlon 1700+ and had an idea that it might be possible to use it to cool say an athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer socket 754.. i know it doesnt come with a block that works with socket 754, plus its a pos.. so i was going to replace that and the crappy aluminum 90mm rad that comes with it. with maybe a 120.2 rad.. and have just been wondering if the pump would actually be strong enough to cool the processor.. its a submerged pump that can move 150 gallons per hour.. i do remember that the old iceburg I coolers had a problem with the resevoir cracking but was fixed in the second version if im not mistaken.. but im wondering if it would actually work without having to replace the entire thing.. mostly doing this for shits n giggles..

this is the actual kit from a review http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-166-1.htm

the cpu currently sits at 55C full load under boinc @ 2.33ghz and at 1.65v using a zalman 8700 cooler.. my personal goal is to try and hit 2.4ghz if not higher then that but im pretty limited on what i can fit into this ancient mid tower case i have.. plus i think it would be a lot more fun screwing around with water cooling on a system i wouldnt mind losing at this point if something goes horribly wrong.. so if anyone has an opinion on it or thinks i might not actually have to change anything or ideas on what i should get as in a block or actual rad.. that would be awesome.. im not trying to spend to much money on this.. though i have been reading this section of the forum for a while so i have a pretty decent idea on a lot of the stuff.. but i dont want to go with some large rad because of its performance and relize it hinders the performance of the smaller pump..

cool thats good to hear.. do you think a single 120 would work? or do you think i should go with a 120.2?

I think you can use the stock kit without any changes other than putting a 120mm fan on it.

the stock rad only supports an 80mm fan.. but im sure i could find a way to fit a 120 on it.. but the damn thing feels flimsy as heck.. almost like a cheap toy..

the stock rad only supports an 80mm fan.. but im sure i could find a way to fit a 120 on it.. but the damn thing feels flimsy as heck.. almost like a cheap toy..

The link you gave showed a 120mm fan added on to it. Some people say a lot of water cooling brands are just toys. What matters is whether it works or not. One of our mods here has a ThermalTake unit IIRC, which is widely derided as a just a toy. He thinks it works great.

The link you gave showed a 120mm fan added on to it. Some people say a lot of water cooling brands are just toys. What matters is whether it works or not. One of our mods here has a ThermalTake unit IIRC, which is widely derided as a just a toy. He thinks it works great.

lol yeah i know what ya mean :p

Back