IHS lapping, is it worth it?

Your improvements are minimal to negligible the same with delidding the ryzen chips, they're already using decent solder tim and IHS.
If you want to improve temps your better option would be to improve your cooling.

Your improvements are minimal to negligible the same with delidding the ryzen chips, they're already using decent solder tim and IHS.
If you want to improve temps your better option would be to improve your cooling.

OK thx

unless your plan is to do extreme overclocking/cooling, then no it's not really worth it.
It wasn't all that long ago that people would buy 6950x's just because they wanted the best so what's to say someone who isn't an XOC enthusiast would see the value in improving the performance of their CPU in a way that is stress free and far superior to liquid metal?
You won't be able to turna 3900x into a 3950x just by improving thermal conductivity but if you already own the halo product for your socket there's nothing else that compares.

I started digging into the topic of IHS lapping to improve temps, Is it worth the time and effort of wet sanding?

I also found this jig which protects the pins from damage.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/817456964/am4-cpu-lapping-tool
I think it would depend on what you're doing. For competitive overclocking, where every Hz counts? Probably.

If you're not overclocking, I doubt it would make much difference. Also don't forget to lap the heatsink or water jacket too, if you're going to do this, though.

It wasn't all that long ago that people would buy 6950x's just because they wanted the best so what's to say someone who isn't an XOC enthusiast would see the value in improving the performance of their CPU in a way that is stress free and far superior to liquid metal?
You won't be able to turna 3900x into a 3950x just by improving thermal conductivity but if you already own the halo product for your socket there's nothing else that compares.

terrible comparison given how neutered intel kept their stock clocks on their cpu's up until the 10k series thus making IHS lapping/liquid metal useful. on AMD however there is no advantage to it unless you're doing sub ambient temps.

I think it would depend on what you're doing. For competitive overclocking, where every Hz counts? Probably.

If you're not overclocking, I doubt it would make much difference. Also don't forget to lap the heatsink or water jacket too, if you're going to do this, though.

Not competitive overclocking, just want to squeeze more power to get my work processed quicker.

Modern CPU's boost higher if the thermals permit it, which is exactly what's happening with my bone stock 3950x.

Back