If I put a TPM module in my gigabyte z270 can install windows 11 even though I have an i6700k? Or does TPM need to be in the CPU

that should do, if you can find one. are you upgrading or fresh installing?

hadn't decided. was thinking of upgrade
if youre upgrading from 10 to 11, you can run setup from the usb or iso and it will just give a warning and you can continue without tpm. no tpm it seems to only affect enterprise encryption stuff, slows it down, but if you dont use it you wont notice any difference.

if youre upgrading from 10 to 11, you can run setup from the usb or iso and it will just give a warning and you can continue without tpm. no tpm it seems to only affect enterprise encryption stuff, slows it down, but if you dont use it you wont notice any difference.
ok. I haven't read a lot but did read some posts that said there was crashes and instability without TPM on older CPUs but that could have been with pre-GA builds.

ok. I haven't read a lot but did read some posts that said there was crashes and instability without TPM on older CPUs but that could have been with pre-GA builds.
i havent run into any issues without it on my home system and test units at work. yes, the early dev release could be buggy, thats normal.

cool Thanks let me try this first. Hope it works. All I do on this machine is play games and browse the web. Nice knowing me :)

cool Thanks let me try this first. Hope it works. All I do on this machine is play games and browse the web. Nice knowing me :)
make sure you turn off any 3rd part a/v, seen issues with them, and try the upgrade. nice thing is it doesnt take long and if you dont like it you can roll back easy as its basically just a ui upgrade for 10.

if youre upgrading from 10 to 11, you can run setup from the usb or iso and it will just give a warning and you can continue without tpm.

Installing from an ISO bypasses the CPU model requirements and the TPM 2.0 requirement, but you still need a TPM 1.2 module. If you have no TPM module at all then you need to use a more involved workaround. From what I can see the gigabyte z270 boards have a socket for an add-on TPM module but don't actually contain any TPM module by default (not even TPM 1.2).

With that said, I have not run into any issues with systems that have no TPM module, once appropriate workarounds were used to install Windows 11.

Last edited:
I have a z170QM board with a 6700 mobile. Windows 11 installed without errors with the TPM on even though my cpu/motherboard is not compatible. Only "issue" was that it did not install chipset drivers by default. Installing INF's didn't fix it all either - I had to grab the drivers from Windows Update.

Or do what i did on a old laptop. get windows 10 and 11 on two usb drives via get windows app via microsoft.
Take the install.esd from sorce folder from 11 and transfer to 10 usb drive.
Your usb drive that was windows 10 will now install 11 on any hardware that supported windows 10.
The installer will say installing 10 but it when it dumps the install bits on drive they are 11.
Older pentium dual core Toshiba laptop insyalled and runs 11 ok this way.

My laptop meets all the requirements except for the CPU for some stupid reason and it prevents it from installing, well, unless I do a workaround.

My laptop meets all the requirements except for the CPU for some stupid reason and it prevents it from installing, well, unless I do a workaround.

If the CPU is really the only requirement that it doesn't meet, then you should still be able to install by using the ISO, and accepting the disclaimer. This still requires Secure Boot and at least a TPM 1.2 module but will let you bypass CPU requirements.

If the CPU is really the only requirement that it doesn't meet, then you should still be able to install by using the ISO, and accepting the disclaimer. This still requires Secure Boot and at least a TPM 1.2 module but will let you bypass CPU requirements.
I watched a video of how to completely get around the TPM requirement.

Back