IF CPU boots into BIOS, is it all good? and CPU test to make sure CPU working well but NOT stress test

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I need to bench test my ASUS AMD x570 motherboard to see if the AM4 socket is still good. A repair tech was supposed to do a benchtest and possibly replace the socket, but he's out sick for a while, so I'm going to do the benchtest myself.

Does this motherboard perform a complete CPU test while booting up? If the system boots up into BIOS, does that mean that the socket is still good?

The tech advised that I could run the CPU for 5 minutes without a cooler. If I need to run a CPU test, I would want one that tests out the entire CPU, but is not a stress test like you would do for overclocking. Is there such a a test? Or is a BSOD while running Windows my only real test choice. I'm not sure when this tech would be able to perform the repair, which he said is not a guarantee in any case. Of course, if the motherboard is not good I will have to order another one. :cry: He won't charge for the repair if it's not successful.

another thread about this?
getting into bios does not prove that the either the cpu or mobo are good. just that they can post and hit the bios. you need to run some actual tests, at least a couple runs of OCCT. do not run it without a cooler. and if you still cant lock the socket its not going to work. have you posted pics of what youve done yet?

another thread about this?
getting into bios does not prove that the either the cpu or mobo are good. just that they can post and hit the bios. you need to run some actual tests, at least a couple runs of OCCT. do not run it without a cooler. and if you still cant lock the socket its not going to work. have you posted pics of what youve done yet?
Well I haven't done anything yet.

What kinds of photos do you want to see?

can you test anything on the planet and say it's good without stressing it?

No.

k
the damage youre dealing with
OK. Here are some photos.
IMG_2470.JPG
IMG_2471.JPG
IMG_2472.JPG

Guys,

I did a quick bench test, not sure what to make of it. Need advice here.

First off, the socket still does lock my new 5900X CPU into place. Nice surprise.

So my quick benchtest was the motherboard + CPU + 2 sticks of RAM, NO GPU card (because it's a pain to remove), plus a 4-pin speaker for beep codes. This ASUS Strix-E motherboard has 4 Q-LEDs that show boot progress.

So I did a power-up, and I wanted to see if the Q-LED would get to GREEN, boot up. No. Just to the first LED with a DRAM issue. Does that mean that my motherboar is hosed? Or do I need to install the motheroard into the case, with GPU, cooler, etc

The Q-code was 06, which doesn't tell me anything.

By the way, the repair tech who told I could run the CPU without a cooler for say 5 minutes, was wrong. After the CPU is on for maybe 15 seconds, it was already hot to the touch. Not too hot so i had to pull my finger away, but still hot.

Q-LED.PNG

leave it out of the case for now. clean up that socket too. if the socket is locking now thats good. suck it up and install the gpu and remove one stick of ram to see if you can get it to post. when i built with the intel version of this board it took a long time to post for the first time, so give it a minute or two.
ps: atodaso about the cooler ;)

leave it out of the case for now. clean up that socket too. if the socket is locking now thats good. suck it up and install the gpu and remove one stick of ram to see if you can get it to post. when i built with the intel version of this board it took a long time to post for the first time, so give it a minute or two.
ps: atodaso about the cooler ;)
atodaso ??

Bummeroonie. I could not get the motherboard to boot past the DRAM issue. So I'm looking at a replacement Strix-E motherboard, because I already have 64 GB of RAM and the 5900X CPU. I'm not exactly happy about this situation, since this is the first time that I've trashed a motherboard and CPU. Fortunately my "chief financial office" has "signed off" on the purchases,

Guys,

First off, the socket still does lock my new 5900X CPU into place. Nice surprise.

So my quick benchtest was the motherboard + CPU + 2 sticks of RAM, NO GPU card (because it's a pain to remove), plus a 4-pin speaker for beep codes. This ASUS Strix-E motherboard has 4 Q-LEDs that show boot progress.

So I did a power-up, and I wanted to see if the Q-LED would get to GREEN, boot up. No. Just to the first LED with a DRAM issue. Does that mean that my motherboar is hosed? Or do I need to install the motheroard into the case, with GPU, cooler, etc

By the way, the repair tech who told I could run the CPU without a cooler for say 5 minutes, was wrong. After the CPU is on for maybe 15 seconds, it was already hot to the touch. Not too hot so i had to pull my finger away, but still hot.
1. Ensure the cpu is locked to the socket.
2. Unplug both ram, and clean the ram pin using eraser.
3. Jumper the cmos pin or just remove the cmos battery for about 10s.
4. Undo the jumper on the cmos / put the cmos battery back
5. Put the ram back on ram slot B2 (1 kit only)
6. Install your cpu cooler
7. Install your gpu
8. Try powering the system again, and see the LED indicator on the mobo.

I need to bench test my ASUS AMD x570 motherboard to see if the AM4 socket is still good. A repair tech was supposed to do a benchtest and possibly replace the socket, but he's out sick for a while, so I'm going to do the benchtest myself.

Does this motherboard perform a complete CPU test while booting up? If the system boots up into BIOS, does that mean that the socket is still good?

The tech advised that I could run the CPU for 5 minutes without a cooler. If I need to run a CPU test, I would want one that tests out the entire CPU, but is not a stress test like you would do for overclocking. Is there such a a test? Or is a BSOD while running Windows my only real test choice. I'm not sure when this tech would be able to perform the repair, which he said is not a guarantee in any case. Of course, if the motherboard is not good I will have to order another one. :cry: He won't charge for the repair if it's not successful.
Agreed with pendragon on running the CPU without a cooler. I ran my 3600 with my water block installed but not pump, and it hit 80 in like 2 minutes IN THE BIOS.

Guys,

View attachment 536746
Again, agreed with pendragon. Go to Wallmart and get some CRC electronics cleaner and give that socket a good going over. Then blow it out with a can of compressed air.

Back