idle hard lock issue, event 41

jojo69

[H]F Junkie
recently tore my X58 setup apart for maintenance, when I put it back together it POSTed fine but had lost its clock and all my BIOS settings, most annoying.

I got that sorted out, but now I am having an intermittent hard lock issue, USB input devices stop responding, keyboard LEDs go out and I have to hard reboot.

Event viewer is showing critical event 41 Kernel Power...is that just me hitting the reset button? or is it a clue?

What was the maintenance you did?

Go back through everything you touched and look for loose connections or anything that looks amiss. Take it all apart again.

Are you overclocking?
No overclocking until you get it stable again.

Make sure all voltages and timings are correct in the BIOS setup.

Reseat the RAM.

One of the most common problems I see is people leaving the metal motherboard stand-offs in places where they don't match up to mounting holes in the motherboard. That causes some point on the bottom of the motherboard to be grounded when it shouldn't be. That can cause all kinds of bad things from no POST, to weird intermittent problems, to smoke & flames.

CPU coolng loop flush, had the RAM and the GPUs out for access

lost my overclock with the BIOS, so its all automagically stock

hmmmm, RAM profile, what do they call that XMP? I remember something about that being a problem at some point, been a while, guess I better relearn about that

Back