i7 10700 - voltage, power consumption, temps

G4rgamel

n00b
Hello,
I have disabled power limitation on motherboard, because I wanted to push 4.6GHz when I'm gaming and I have readings like this:
vcore - fluctuating between 1.29 - 1.32, average when I was playing CP 2077 was 1.31V. Is it safe? I think it should be pretty ok, I don't like to touch anything I don't have to.
temps - idle 26-28 C (i'm using intel speedstep, so it lowers the frequency and voltage when idling), gaming 55-65 C
power consumption - while playing CP2077, it did not go above 100W, most of the time 70W-80W. Absolute max power draw I encountered was 130W when CPU was 100% utilized

Temperatures are very good in my opinion, cooling with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports (not the top notch cooler, so I was surprised). I was also surprised by power consumption, because everywhere I looked I saw how power hungry 10th gen i7s are, but these values look very good to me. I just want your opinions on these readings and vcore values. I read a lot of forums and articles lately and I mostly saw, that dangerous vcore values are above 1.35V on 10th gen.

What do you think? Thanks.

PS: If you need more info about my system, I can provide it for sure.

Temperatures are very good in my opinion, cooling with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports (not the top notch cooler, so I was surprised). I was also surprised by power consumption, because everywhere I looked I saw how power hungry 10th gen i7s are, but these values look very good to me.

I think that's expected, the high CPU power usage comes mainly from applications that use AVX heavily. Gaming don't utilize cores nearly as much.

Run Prime95 for 24 hours and report back.
I don't really want to stress test it if it's not needed. I built it purely for gaming, I also bought a non K chip, because I don't want to overclock. I just wanted to know if these readings are ok, mainly vCore. I also noticed my MB sets VCCIO to 1.296 when using XMP, seems excesive to me, but what's the max upper value here? Thanks.

The voltage is fine. Temps are great. The issue will come down the road when you encounter games that stress that CPU more and more and you have no idea how it will behave beyond 130W. That CPU will hit 200W+ and your cooler be at it's limit. Up to you not to at least know how well it handles the loads. You can always run a stress test that doesn't use AVX, so power will be lower. OCCT - large data

Last edited:
The voltage is fine. Temps are great. The issue will come down the road when you encounter games that stress that CPU more and more and you have no idea how it will behave beyond 130W. That CPU will hit 200W+ and your cooler be at it's limit. Up to you not to at least know how well it handles the loads. You can always run a stress test that doesn't use AVX, so power will be lower. OCCT - large data
Thanks for answer. VCCIO seemed a bit high to me, so I lowered it to 1.23 and VCSSA 1.24 at the time. I'm running 3600MHz memories, so I'm thinking whether I should go lower or this is just fine? Regarding your comment on max load on CPU, you are correct, I don't know how my CPU is going to handle heavy load, but it's not needed at the time, since there is no game which would bring my CPU to that scenario and when that happens I will know about it, I'm monitoring and logging it all the time.

Hello,
I have disabled power limitation on motherboard, because I wanted to push 4.6GHz when I'm gaming and I have readings like this:
vcore - fluctuating between 1.29 - 1.32, average when I was playing CP 2077 was 1.31V. Is it safe? I think it should be pretty ok, I don't like to touch anything I don't have to.
temps - idle 26-28 C (i'm using intel speedstep, so it lowers the frequency and voltage when idling), gaming 55-65 C
power consumption - while playing CP2077, it did not go above 100W, most of the time 70W-80W. Absolute max power draw I encountered was 130W when CPU was 100% utilized

Temperatures are very good in my opinion, cooling with Arctic Freezer 34 eSports (not the top notch cooler, so I was surprised). I was also surprised by power consumption, because everywhere I looked I saw how power hungry 10th gen i7s are, but these values look very good to me. I just want your opinions on these readings and vcore values. I read a lot of forums and articles lately and I mostly saw, that dangerous vcore values are above 1.35V on 10th gen.

What do you think? Thanks.

PS: If you need more info about my system, I can provide it for sure.
What is your setting for LLC/Load Line Calibration? According to CPU-Z, My 10700 does about 1.228v maxed turbo limits for 4.6 all core, in Cinibench R23 Multi-Core, with LLC #4.

Higher LLC such as #2 or #1, can cause your Voltage to overshoot.

Last edited:
What is your setting for LLC/Load Line Calibration? According to CPU-Z, My 10700 does about 1.228v maxed turbo limits for 4.6 all core, in Cinibench R23 Multi-Core, with LLC #4.

Higher LLC such as #2 or #1, can cause your Voltage to overshoot.
Didn't touch LLC, it's on auto. Is it necessary to change it? My voltage was not higher, than 1.33V and that was just for a brief moment. I read it's nowhere near dangerous values.

Didn't touch LLC, it's on auto. Is it necessary to change it? My voltage was not higher, than 1.33V and that was just for a brief moment. I read it's nowhere near dangerous values.
LLC modes are fairly trivial to change, unless you have a really picky overclock.

Run cinibench r23 multicore test (its free) and see what your voltage is. Then specifically set an LLC mode and see if it changes. In my case, I use #4.

It could be that your particular 10700 requires more voltage than mine to do all core turbo at 4.6ghz (apparently Intel writes such info into the microcode of each non-K CPU). or it could be that your motherboard is overdoing the voltage.

Back