i5-2550k or i7-3770k

tinate

Limp Gawd
So I picked up an i5-2550k at microcenter for $145 yesterday. I was planning on grabbing an i7-3770k at release, but this little deal happened...

Given the fact that I only really game on my computer, someone try to convince me to stick with this i5 instead of going IB. Money really isn't a problem, but the IB performance leaks have been obviously less than stellar. If I go with the i5 and a cheap pci 3.0 mobo, I would probably upgrade again within 2 years, but if I went with a 3770k, I would expect to keep it longer.

Thoughts?

I don't think the "leaks" mean much. Best to wait for official release to see how the new IB cpus turn out.

2550k sounds fun to play with. How does it over clock?

I don't think the "leaks" mean much. Best to wait for official release to see how the new IB cpus turn out.

2550k sounds fun to play with. How does it over clock?

I haven't gotten a 1155 mobo yet. I'm coming from AMD, so I don't have any backup intel mobos. Another option is that I could grab a z77 mobo, put this in there, oc it, and wait for real 3770k reviews to come out and decide then.

if you got 2550k dont buy 3770k because you dont get much increase in performance
And if you are gamer you have standalone gpu and dont need its IGP
I have the i5 but didnt have the time to OC it yet so someone could try :D

So I picked up an i5-2550k at microcenter for $145 yesterday. I was planning on grabbing an i7-3770k at release, but this little deal happened...

Given the fact that I only really game on my computer, someone try to convince me to stick with this i5 instead of going IB. Money really isn't a problem, but the IB performance leaks have been obviously less than stellar. If I go with the i5 and a cheap pci 3.0 mobo, I would probably upgrade again within 2 years, but if I went with a 3770k, I would expect to keep it longer.

Thoughts?

The i5 won't give you PCI-E 3.0 regardless of mobo, you'll need an IB chip for that.

Looks like you don't have all the parts ready to build the i5. I would wait for the IB since money isn't an issue. If IB is coming out at the end of the year, then stay with i5, but it is around the corner. I am not saying it will be a lot faster than your i5, but it does offer some advantage like 22nm...etc.

Our next generation processors are a die shrink in this case dropping to 22nm. In the past the best change in performance has come from a new microarchitecture. While these processors will have some improvements to the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) they are not going to be a new microarchitecture.

Now since I haven't tested any of our next generation Intel® Core™ processors I would think they would show a small improvement to processor performance without using the IGP and a bigger improvement to performance if you are going to use the IGP. In the end time will tell.

The i5 won't give you PCI-E 3.0 regardless of mobo, you'll need an IB chip for that.

Oh ya you're right. I forgot about that. I'll be grabbing a 680/7970 (or 2). I need pci-e 3.0. Ivy Bridge it is.

Looks like you don't have all the parts ready to build the i5. I would wait for the IB since money isn't an issue. If IB is coming out at the end of the year, then stay with i5, but it is around the corner. I am not saying it will be a lot faster than your i5, but it does offer some advantage like 22nm...etc.

Our next generation processors are a die shrink in this case dropping to 22nm. In the past the best change in performance has come from a new microarchitecture. While these processors will have some improvements to the IGP (Integrated Graphics on Processor) they are not going to be a new microarchitecture.

Now since I haven't tested any of our next generation Intel® Core™ processors I would think they would show a small improvement to processor performance without using the IGP and a bigger improvement to performance if you are going to use the IGP. In the end time will tell.

Good points. I think I'm going to keep this one and throw it in a z77 motherboard while I wait for IB to release and stabilize.

Awesome price, I would keep it and just get a Z68 mobo for a good deal. 3770K/Z77 is not going to increase performance in games by a noticible amount. Instead, take the $180 (~$330 - $150 = $180) you save on the CPU and buy a faster video card.

Awesome price, I would keep it and just get a Z68 mobo for a good deal. 3770K/Z77 is not going to increase performance in games by a noticible amount. Instead, take the $180 (~$330 - $150 = $180) you save on the CPU and buy a faster video card.

I want Z77 for PCI-e 3.0. Also like I said money isn't really an issue. I plan on getting 1 or 2 680s or 7970s anyway.

WTF!!! Some kind of one day deal!!! Normal "every day" price for 2550k is $199... What gives bro????

I got the same deal. It's the Microcenter Facebook Exclusive Deal and yes it was for a very short period.

Some basic H61 boards have PCIe 3...Gigabyte, ASrock.... Any only ASRock right now has a Smart OC setting in the BIOS and software to do OC'ing on K chips. (no K chip here to try it out, but its advertised on my H61iCafe box)

I plan on getting the IB i5-3570k BUT, might just settle for the i5-2400.... Still thinking.... and definitely gotta check pricing. (when officially released)

Back